HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » At Least 31 Dead After Mi...

Wed Nov 24, 2021, 03:50 PM

At Least 31 Dead After Migrant Boat Capsizes in English Channel

Source: NY Times

By Aurelien Breeden and Constant Méheut

Nov. 24, 2021 Updated 2:21 p.m. ET

PARIS — At least 31 people drowned off the coast of France on Wednesday, after a boat carrying migrants trying to reach Britain capsized in the English Channel, according to the French authorities.

Gérald Darmanin, France’s interior minister, said that the dead, including 5 women and a little girl, were part of a group of 33 migrants. There was no immediate word on where the migrants were from.

The death toll, one of the worst for migrants crossing the Channel in recent years, came only a few days after French and British authorities had reached an agreement to do more to stem the number of people taking to the sea.

“The shipwreck that occurred in the Channel is a tragedy,” Jean Castex, the French prime minister, said on Twitter.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/24/world/europe/migrants-boat-capsize-calais.html

3 replies, 1334 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply At Least 31 Dead After Migrant Boat Capsizes in English Channel (Original post)
George II Nov 24 OP
elleng Nov 24 #1
Skittles Nov 24 #2
oasis Thursday #3

Response to George II (Original post)

Wed Nov 24, 2021, 03:57 PM

1. Awful.

Reminds me of not-tragic Thanksgiving story/book, 'Coming/Going to America.'

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Nov 24, 2021, 08:21 PM

2. it's heart-breaking

the risks people will take.....I cannot even imagine the desperation that makes them take such risks

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 25, 2021, 04:34 AM

3. Very sad. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread