HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » China urges US to protect...

Wed Dec 29, 2021, 10:37 AM

China urges US to protect its space station from satellites

Source: AP

BEIJING (AP) — China is calling on the United States to protect a Chinese space station and its three-member crew after Beijing complained that satellites launched by Elon Musk’s SpaceX nearly struck the station.

A foreign ministry spokesman accused Washington on Tuesday of ignoring its treaty obligations to protect the safety of the Tiangong station’s three-member crew following the July 1 and Oct. 21 incidents.

The Tiangong performed “evasive maneuvers” to “prevent a potential collision” with Starlink satellites launched by Space Exploration Technologies Corp., the government said in a Dec. 6 complaint to the U.N. Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space.

The United States should “take immediate measures to prevent such incidents from happening again,” said the spokesman, Zhao Lijian.

FILE - In this Dec. 1, 2020, file photo, SpaceX owner and Tesla CEO Elon Musk arrives on the red carpet for the Axel Springer media award in Berlin. China is calling on the United States to protect a Chinese space station and its three-member crew after Beijing complained that satellites launched by Elon Musk’s SpaceX nearly struck the station. A foreign ministry spokesman accused Washington on Tuesday, Dec. 28, 2021, of ignoring its treaty obligations to protect the safety of the Tiangong station’s three-member crew following the July 1 and Oct. 21 incidents. (Hannibal Hanschke/Pool Photo via AP, File)

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/spacex-space-launches-space-exploration-science-technology-b6f0f77dc16f95cf88d114ac05de3ad2

12 replies, 1530 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Wed Dec 29, 2021, 10:49 AM

1. Let me see......good old China has been doing missile tests on satellites and they don't take

responsibilities for there own actions... when blowing up these satellite's pieces flying around .....that's rich...... and they could have put there ship into a higher orbit.....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to turbinetree (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 29, 2021, 01:41 PM

6. Plenty of blame to spread around I think. Space junk and orbiting stations in the path not good.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 29, 2021, 11:20 AM

2. Why should we protect others from Musk?

If I hit my neighbor's car, the US won't protect my neighbor from me. But my neighbor can bring a law suit if I don't cover the damage. Or my insurance will cover it.

Let China hold Musk responsible for his failures. They should sue him. We aren't his babysitters.

It was always a stupid idea to let idiot billionaires run space programs. All of us are held accountable for their stupidity.

Reply to this post

Response to Farmer-Rick (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 29, 2021, 12:32 PM

4. Yes. Let China sue him. It's incredibly irresponsible for Musk...

to launch satellites without researching the orbits of other space objects.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 29, 2021, 11:36 AM

3. Killing 3 astronauts in orbit

Would be a catastrophic international incident. Would we be so blithe and shrug off another country’s gazillionaire killing our astronauts? If we don’t control Musk, who can?

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 29, 2021, 01:25 PM

5. China is quite capable of negotiating with Musk

Tesla has a tremendous investment there. Would hate to see China either shut it down or take it over.

Reply to this post

Response to Zorro (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 29, 2021, 09:30 PM

11. There's even an internet meme...isn't there always?

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 29, 2021, 05:49 PM

7. If it was Chinese companies ...

... filling up outer space with their personal junk satellites, the whole of the Western world would be in full blown uproar.

Reply to this post

Response to TomWilm (Reply #7)

Wed Dec 29, 2021, 06:09 PM

8. China has dropped its share of rocket stages on Africa

despite repeated international calls to act more responsibly.

In the past China has said that, now that it is a powerful nation, it shouldn't be bound by international norms.

There's plenty of hypocrisy to go around.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 29, 2021, 07:50 PM

9. IMO China should have put its space station in a higher orbit.

One where there's less space junk. Where Elon has placed his Starlink satellites (and other people too) is essentially now a space junkyard - dangerous if one doesn't know where to go.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 29, 2021, 08:35 PM

10. Hypocrites

In 2007 a Chinese KillSat test put a huge debris swarm in orbit followed by another new swarm created by the accidental explosion of a Russian rocket that put over 1,100 dangerous fragments in orbit. Those two incidents increased the dangerous debris in orbit by about fifteen percent.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 29, 2021, 09:35 PM

12. 99.9% of CCP press releases are made for domestic effect, not international

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread