HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 'Handmaid's Tale' Protest...

Thu May 12, 2022, 04:52 PM

'Handmaid's Tale' Protesters Demonstrate Outside Amy Coney Barrett's Home

Source: Newsweek

U.S.

'Handmaid's Tale' Protesters Demonstrate Outside Amy Coney Barrett's Home

BY DANYA HAJJAJI ON 5/12/22 AT 11:10 AM EDT

bortion rights activists dressed as characters from The Handmaid's Tale demonstrated outside the home of Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett on Wednesday, after a leak revealed the Supreme Court is leaning towards overturning Roe v. Wade.

Photos and videos posted to social media showed seven people clad in red robes and white bonnets quietly walking around Barrett's cul-de-sac in Falls Church, Virginia while holding signs. In one video, a participant can be heard saying: "We're not protesting, this is performance art."

Conservative media outlet The Daily Signal reported the demonstration lasted about 10 minutes. ... "The right to your own body--to do what you want with your own body--is the most personal freedom you can have," one activist told The Daily Signal. "It should be self-evident that it's wrong to force women to go through with an unwanted pregnancy."

Speaking to The Daily Signal, a man who identified himself as one of Barrett's neighbors said the protesters should "go home and get a family." ... "It's none of their business, why are they here?" the man said. ... "They have the right to protest, but not in front of someone's house. They live here, this is where she lives."

{snip}

Read more: https://www.newsweek.com/handmaids-tale-protesters-demonstrate-amy-coney-barrett-home-1706096

It's a mob of terrorists!

Hat tip, Fairfax Now, via this post in the thread about Youngkin's getting upset that people were protesting in a public street in front of Samuel's residence.

That wasn't the Attorney General of Virginia.

https://democraticunderground.com/10142915644#post37

38 replies, 3848 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 38 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'Handmaid's Tale' Protesters Demonstrate Outside Amy Coney Barrett's Home (Original post)
mahatmakanejeeves May 12 OP
mahatmakanejeeves May 12 #1
brush May 12 #3
Best_man23 May 12 #16
mahatmakanejeeves May 12 #2
TreasonousBastard May 12 #5
oldsoftie May 12 #7
empedocles May 12 #4
Magoo48 May 12 #9
oldsoftie May 12 #6
Magoo48 May 12 #10
oldsoftie May 12 #13
Jilly_in_VA May 12 #14
Karma13612 May 13 #28
ShazzieB May 12 #11
empedocles May 12 #12
vanlassie May 12 #18
kimmylavin May 12 #20
oldsoftie May 12 #22
kimmylavin May 12 #23
Hekate May 12 #24
prodigitalson May 18 #34
Hekate May 18 #37
prodigitalson May 18 #38
Joinfortmill May 12 #26
prodigitalson May 18 #35
GenThePerservering May 13 #27
UT_democrat May 17 #33
tanyev May 12 #8
paleotn May 12 #15
walkingman May 12 #17
Evolve Dammit May 12 #19
enid602 May 12 #21
moose65 May 13 #30
Joinfortmill May 12 #25
Karma13612 May 13 #29
BlueWavePsych May 14 #31
ck4829 May 17 #32
Paladin May 18 #36

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Original post)

Thu May 12, 2022, 04:55 PM

1. Justice Amy Coney Barrett's Home Site of 'Handmaid's Tale' Protesters

Justice Amy Coney Barrett's Home Site of 'Handmaid's Tale' Protesters

ROE V. WADE

'HANDMAID'S TALE' PROTEST ...

At Justice Amy Coney Barrett's Home
5/12/2022 7:23 AM PT

When it comes to the fight over abortion, imagery is all-important, and protesters took that to heart Wednesday night when they wore 'Handmaid's Tale' costumes and took it to the home of Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett.

A small group of pro-choice demonstrators made their way to Falls Church, Virginia to make their feelings known about the SCOTUS draft opinion that would squarely overturn Roe v. Wade.

One of the protesters made a point of distinguishing ACB's choice to give birth to 5 kids from other women, claiming her devout Catholicism skewed the way she looks at the law, saying, "Not everybody wants to have 5 kids, or 4 kids or 1 kid."

There have been other protests at the homes of justices. Demonstrators showed up earlier this week at the homes of Justices Kavanaugh and Alito, as well as Chief Justice Roberts.

{snip}

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Reply #1)

Thu May 12, 2022, 05:05 PM

3. Good for them. Peaceful protests on publice property...

is the beginning of activism and raises the profile of righteous grievances.

And striking down Roe is a righteous grievance.

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #3)

Thu May 12, 2022, 06:12 PM

16. There needs to be daily visits to Justice OfDonald's House

Every day, day after day. Let Justice OfDonald feel some of the same discomfort felt by doctors and women's care providers who are routinely picketed and terrorized by anti-choice trolls.

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 05:02 PM

2. Additional handwringing, and a video clip:

LAW NEWS

What We Saw at Protest Outside Justice Amy Coney Barrett’s House

Virginia Allen / @Virginia_Allen5 / Douglas Blair / @DouglasKBlair / May 11, 2022

{snip}

{snip}

Reply to this post

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Reply #2)

Thu May 12, 2022, 05:20 PM

5. Who's yelling "No more vaccines"?

Reply to this post

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #5)

Thu May 12, 2022, 05:22 PM

7. Thats a slap to the RW face. Remember; they said it was THEIR body.

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 05:13 PM

4. Love the 'Handmaid's Tale' bit

Reply to this post

Response to empedocles (Reply #4)

Thu May 12, 2022, 05:32 PM

9. Yup, that's finer than frog fur.

Props to everyone taking direct action.

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 05:21 PM

6. I hate that stuff. Just PROTEST without the dress up party.

Reply to this post

Response to oldsoftie (Reply #6)

Thu May 12, 2022, 05:37 PM

10. Are you really going to criticize people who are taking direct action?

Without these kinds of grassroots actions x10,000, on every issue dealing with our freedoms, we are fascism bound.

Reply to this post

Response to Magoo48 (Reply #10)

Thu May 12, 2022, 05:45 PM

13. I said to protest. Thats direct action.

Just never been a fan of costumes and all that. BEING there matters far more than what you're wearing. Thats my opinion.

Reply to this post

Response to oldsoftie (Reply #13)

Thu May 12, 2022, 05:59 PM

14. Oh please

OK, so that's your opinion. A lot of us, including this old lady who remembers very well how it WAS in the "old days" before Roe v. Wade, think otherwise. It appears they were quiet about it.

Reply to this post

Response to oldsoftie (Reply #13)

Fri May 13, 2022, 07:12 AM

28. Just curious if you have ever seen the show "Handmaid's Tale"?

If you have, this gathering in familiar costume will send a chill thru you. With a reversal of Roe v Wade, and even without it, this country is headed for Gilead. For women. The ever-tightening of abortion restrictions has begun. We are going backwards.

The reason why we already experiencing early Gilead is because we have been too complacent, ignoring all the signs and not fighting back enuf. We need to fight back. As someone at a local Rally on Mother’s day said, it’s no longer enuf just to vote. Our votes alone are not getting us the right people in office. We need to exercise our 1st Amendment right to make our voices heard. Take to the streets in massive numbers. Peacefully, with signs, with Handmaid’s Tale costumes, with chants. I do not advocate violence of any kind. I will run if any disrupters attend.

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 05:40 PM

11. Seriously?

SERIOUSLY?!?

All righty, then.

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 05:45 PM

12. The 'dress up' is a picture of a huge, recognizable theme of oppression.

Hundreds of protests, 1000's of words, would not have 'the news' impacts of this, 'Handmaid's Tale' series, [of protests].

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 06:26 PM

18. Have you read or seen The Handmaid's Tale?

Are you in favor of Choice? If so, hard to believe you would not see this as a perfect way to sharpen the lense…

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 07:16 PM

20. But their "dress up" is directly related to what they're protesting...

I'm watching "The Handmaid's Tale" now.
I think the scariest parts are from the before times... when people could have stopped things but didn't.

I think these are very effective protests.
I'm not sure why you think it would be better if they were marching in jeans and t-shirts?

Reply to this post

Response to kimmylavin (Reply #20)

Thu May 12, 2022, 08:09 PM

22. It just seems like that becomes the story more than the issue.

I'm GLAD they're protesting. Its happening all over. I'm in GA and there were 5 women protesting in a town, near here, of less than 5000 last week! THAT is something I can't remember ever seeing.

Reply to this post

Response to oldsoftie (Reply #22)

Thu May 12, 2022, 08:11 PM

23. Okay, but...

Think about how news operates these days.
They love anything that will make a story more colorful.

And now these few women are on the national news.
And because of the costumes, we all know what the protest is about.

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 09:45 PM

24. Did you object to the "pussy hats" at the first Women's March? Visuals are vitally important...

Mahatma Ghandi figured that out when he began his nonviolet protests against the British rule of India. Journalistic cameras, both still and movies, were there to tell the whole world.

Dr Martin Luther King Jr. didn’t just learn nonviolence from Ghandi — he learned about the power of the visual image.

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #24)

Wed May 18, 2022, 08:55 AM

34. I thought the term Pussy Hat was something between puzzling and

hilarious (in a Beavis and Butt-Head sort of way) for a Women's March.

I know your question was for someone else. But that's my unsolicited contribution.

Reply to this post

Response to prodigitalson (Reply #34)

Wed May 18, 2022, 02:34 PM

37. Thanks to TFG, we had a long drawn out argument at DU over children's nursery rhymes ...

… and foul-mouthed adults, and how the orange moron probably wrecked Mother Goose forever.

So ask away, if you didn’t know before. Sorry if this is a little long.

Over 70 years ago, when I was a tot, mama read Mother Goose’s Nursery Rhymes to my brother and me. There are several that feature infant cats, and I can recite them all from memory, along with the rest of Mother Goose. For whatever reason, I seemed to be only person who did remember. Pussy-cat was a nice word.

In primary school, approximately 1st/2nd grade for me and K/1st grade for Joe, he got into a sandbox fight with another boy. I bossily asked why, and he indignantly said this other boy called him a pussy, so he hit him. (Boys learn early.)

I had no idea why this would be a problem, and asked mom after school. She rather blushingly told me that some males used this otherwise fine word to mean vagina and used it to insult other males or women. Which begged the question of why my body part (or hers, since I already knew I came from it) would be used as a vulgarity to degrade others. But neither of us was ready for that conversation, tho she did say it was all in context.

Fast forward to TFG, who during his first presidential campaign was caught on tape boasting that he was soooo irresistible to women that “when you’re famous, they let you do anything… kiss them, grab them by the pussy” — and so a modern and very out there meme in misogyny was born. (Women who have been grabbed that way have testified that it is a violent and very painful assault.)

Outraged modern women decided to throw it back in his face en masse. The media didn’t know whether to be amused or shocked — at us, mind you. The pussy hats aren’t explicit — they are simply a pink knitted pull-on with pointed edges that suggest cat ears. I got one as a souvenir of the times, but can’t really wear it in a daytime march because I sunburn and need a broad brim.

But there it is. We were and are throwing it back in TFG’s face, he and his slack-jawed supporters, he and his suit & tie enablers.

Reply to this post

Response to Hekate (Reply #37)

Wed May 18, 2022, 03:49 PM

38. Ok. Thanks

Access Hollywood. duh.

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 10:02 PM

26. Good article. By the way, she was a 'handmaid' in her religious 'cult'.

Reply to this post

Response to Joinfortmill (Reply #26)

Wed May 18, 2022, 08:58 AM

35. She may have not known initially it was a protest

but thought it was a reunion.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 12:18 AM

27. This not a 'dress up party'

denigrating people who are putting themselves on the line for the rest of we women, and using a time-honoured method of doing so to drive it home, is not a 'dress up party.' Please have some respect.

Reply to this post

Tue May 17, 2022, 01:27 PM

33. Many others feel the same as you apparently

I've seen lots of pushback for the "dressup" aspect of the Handmaids Tale costumes. Specifically from WOC. Some see it as roleplay for white women (I personally disagree.) I think we can all agree that WOC will be the hardest hit, but to me its still primarily a human (woman's) rights issue above all else. Turning it into a racial issue doesn't seem that smart when you have white men and women standing alongside WOC to protest this SCOTUS abomination. AND ALL women, regardless of color, will be affected by this.

Obviously as an old white dude I can't imagine the very real fear that this is causing in WOC but maybe don't cast off allies when the fight is far from over?

Just my 2¢

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 05:28 PM

8. They weren't hiding any *gasp* chalk underneath those robes, were they?

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 06:02 PM

15. If they're going to label us terrorists, fine....

we'll act like it. Speaking of The Handmaid's Tale, how about dragging Barrett's jebus luving ass out in the yard and recreate a stoning scene. Ask her if THAT'S "biblical" enough for her. Hell, I'd pay just to watch.

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 06:15 PM

17. Religious nuts are the worst. The root cause of so many of our world's problems.

Oops

Reply to this post

Response to walkingman (Reply #17)

Thu May 12, 2022, 06:56 PM

19. Yesireebob.

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 07:24 PM

21. Aunt Lydia

I think in future I’ll refer to Coney Barrett as Justice Lydia.

Reply to this post

Response to enid602 (Reply #21)

Fri May 13, 2022, 07:54 AM

30. Yes

I do wish that people would stop referring to her as a "Handmaid." Yes, I know that she is called that in whatever religious group she was part of, but most of us don't get that reference and instead think of the novel and TV show.

But on the show, the Handmaids are nothing like ACB. The Handmaids are the protagonists of the story - they're the ones we're supposed to root for!

Coney Barrett is really more like a Wife - those women who betrayed other women and became part of the system in Gilead. She is really like Serena Joy.

Reply to this post

Thu May 12, 2022, 09:47 PM

25. How very appropriate, she was a handmaid after all.

Reply to this post

Response to Joinfortmill (Reply #25)

Fri May 13, 2022, 07:18 AM

29. I know. It's just surreal that we have

A Justice on the “Extreme Court” who was a Handmaid. And she is concerned about the Baby supply chain issue we have in this country. She want’s women to disrupt 9 months of their life, with financial, career, logistical, health, and a miriad of other concerns because she wants us all to think and behave and LIVE like her.

No. Just NO!

Reply to this post

Sat May 14, 2022, 08:49 AM

31. Kick

Reply to this post

Tue May 17, 2022, 09:03 AM

32. K&R

Reply to this post

Wed May 18, 2022, 09:23 AM

36. All of you "dress up party" whiners provide direct evidence...

...of why fascism has made such dangerous inroads into this country. Decades of anemic responses by Democrats have contributed to where we find ourselves today: fascism has surged forward, because its proponents are confident they can get away with it. I've been griping about it for years here on DU, as have others. If you genuinely value what's left of our democracy, you better be willing to fight for it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread