HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Pramila Jayapal endorses ...

Thu May 19, 2022, 12:51 PM

Pramila Jayapal endorses Jessica Cisneros in Texas runoff

Source: Politico

Immigration lawyer Jessica Cisneros has picked up a key endorsement from Rep. Pramila Jayapal, who leads the Congressional Progressive Caucus, in her primary bid against Rep. Henry Cuellar.

ďAt a time when our reproductive freedoms are under attack by an extremist Supreme Court, we must elect pro-choice candidates that will fight to make sure abortion remains the law of the land. Jessica Cisneros embodies the kind of progressive we need in Congress,Ē Jayapal (D-Wash.) said in a statement to POLITICO released Thursday.

Cuellar, the only House Democrat who opposes abortion rights, is facing a competitive runoff election next Tuesday in his Texas district against Cisneros, who has sought to make abortion a top issue in the race in the wake of a disclosure earlier this month of a draft Supreme Court decision that revealed the Supreme Court had voted to overturn Roe v. Wade...

Read more: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/19/pramila-jayapal-endorses-jessica-cisneros-texas-00033681

76 replies, 3173 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 76 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pramila Jayapal endorses Jessica Cisneros in Texas runoff (Original post)
867-5309. May 19 OP
Post removed May 19 #1
Autumn May 19 #2
SunImp May 19 #5
Autumn May 19 #11
TexasTowelie May 19 #32
Autumn May 19 #40
TexasTowelie May 19 #45
Autumn May 19 #50
hamsterjill May 20 #67
Autumn May 20 #68
AZProgressive May 22 #74
TexasTowelie May 22 #75
TexasTowelie May 25 #76
Demsrule86 May 19 #39
TiberiusB May 19 #3
Budi May 19 #6
hamsterjill May 19 #15
Budi May 19 #16
hamsterjill May 19 #17
spooky3 May 19 #18
Budi May 19 #19
hamsterjill May 19 #20
Budi May 19 #22
hamsterjill May 19 #25
Budi May 19 #29
hamsterjill May 19 #37
elias7 May 19 #46
hamsterjill May 19 #54
TxGuitar May 19 #47
hamsterjill May 19 #52
Bettie May 19 #23
hamsterjill May 19 #26
TxGuitar May 19 #48
Autumn May 19 #9
spooky3 May 19 #24
JustAnotherGen May 19 #4
Demsrule86 May 19 #41
TxGuitar May 19 #49
progressoid May 19 #27
Budi May 19 #30
womanofthehills May 20 #61
muriel_volestrangler May 20 #66
FBaggins May 19 #7
hamsterjill May 19 #10
FBaggins May 19 #12
hamsterjill May 19 #14
JI7 May 19 #31
hamsterjill May 19 #35
JI7 May 19 #56
hamsterjill May 19 #58
JI7 May 20 #60
hamsterjill May 20 #62
JI7 May 20 #63
hamsterjill May 20 #64
JI7 May 20 #65
Demsrule86 May 19 #42
TxGuitar May 19 #51
hamsterjill May 19 #53
Bettie May 19 #55
Bettie May 19 #33
hamsterjill May 19 #36
FBaggins May 19 #38
hamsterjill May 19 #59
Demsrule86 May 19 #43
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin May 19 #8
FBaggins May 19 #13
Budi May 19 #21
AntivaxHunters May 19 #57
FBaggins May 21 #70
AntivaxHunters May 21 #71
FBaggins May 21 #72
AntivaxHunters May 21 #73
JohnSJ May 21 #69
Demsrule86 May 19 #44
progressoid May 19 #28
TexasTowelie May 19 #34

Response to 867-5309. (Original post)

Response to Post removed (Reply #1)

Thu May 19, 2022, 01:17 PM

2. What is not a secret is that Henry Cuellar is anti abortion. Ugh.

Lemme guess, he's campaigning for a lack of dignity for Women & for their Rights to be taken away.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Autumn (Reply #2)

Thu May 19, 2022, 01:46 PM

5. Cuellar is also an asshole

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/henry-cuellar-abortion-pregant-staffer-b2075163.html

The Houseís only anti-abortion Democrat has just waded into a scandal regarding his treatment of pregnant staffers at a time when the Democratic Party is seeking to provide a unified voice in opposition to the apparent impended reversal of Roe v Wadeís precedent.

The Associated Pressreported in 2019 that Henry Cuellar, a Texas congressman facing a tough primary challenge (and a separate, unrelated FBI investigation) fired a staffer during the third trimester of her pregnancy after denying her maternity leave; her pregnancy would end in stillbirth just days later. That dispute ended in a lawsuit, filed by the former staffer, which was settled for an undisclosed amount between her and the congressmanís office.

Now, Jezebel is reporting that Mr Cuellar went even further than was previously reported in his attempts to, as Kristie Smalls characterised it in her lawsuit against him, punish her for getting pregnant. According to the news outlet, Mr Cuellar solicited letters from his other staffers regarding Ms Smallsís performance after she was fired. Some of those letters were solicited and written after Ms Smalls filed her lawsuit and others came before her complaint was made

Reply to this post

Response to SunImp (Reply #5)

Thu May 19, 2022, 02:09 PM

11. So very typical of of an anti abortion "man".

Henry Cuellar, opposes abortion, opposes Joe Bidenís immigration policy from the right, and celebrated the beginning of this yearís Womenís History Month by tweeting a quote from Margaret Thatcher.

Cuellarís ties to special interests, which are legion; in January, AŪda ChŠvez reported on Cuellarís close relations to the oil (ďBig Oilís Favorite DemocratĒ) and private prison industries in the Nation magazine.

Cuellar has been under federal investigation due to some alleged shady dealings with the former Soviet republic of Azerbaijan; in January, the FBI raided his home, which is never a good sign for a public servant. In the March 1 primary

As one of the only remaining national Democrats actively opposing abortion rights, he risks looking out of touch with womenís common coming-of-age experiences, which often involve such consensual but unequal relationships with teachers, bosses, or older mentors. His eagerness to participate in gratuitous slut-shaming of his campaign opponent, besides being a hideously unattractive marker of character, is all too fitting given that anti-abortion politics is itself a form of cruelly institutionalized slut-shaming.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2022/03/texas-house-congress-primary-henry-cuellar-jessica-cisneros-tabloid-scandal

Reply to this post

Response to Autumn (Reply #11)

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:07 PM

32. Perhaps you should quote a source with more recent information?

April 13, 2022

Rep. Henry Cuellar Ďnot a targetí of FBI agents who searched his home, attorney says

WASHINGTON ó An attorney for U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar, a Laredo Democrat whose home and campaign office were searched by the FBI earlier this year, says the Department of Justice told him that the congressman is not a target in the federal investigation.

ďOver the last several weeks, the Justice Department, in a conversation I had with the prosecutor, let me know that Congressman Cuellar is not a target of this investigation,Ē Joshua Berman, Cuellarís attorney, told Fox News.

Berman confirmed the same to Hearst Newspapers in a text message on Wednesday, saying: ďDOJ informed me that Congressman Cuellar is not a target of the investigation.Ē

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Henry-Cuellar-FBI-Investigation-17079034.php

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #32)

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:44 PM

40. I'll keep the source I used yours is available in your reply. I notice nothing about the rest being

wrong.

Reply to this post

Response to Autumn (Reply #40)

Thu May 19, 2022, 05:03 PM

45. That's okay.

I suspect that more voters in that district read the Hearst newspapers (San Antonio Express-News and Laredo Morning Times) than read Jacobin.

Having grown up in South Texas, my only comment about Cuellar's ties to corporate interests is that the economy in South Texas would suck without the oil and prison industries. Unemployment would be significantly higher and wages would be depressed without those jobs. The question that the voters will face is what is more important--economic security or the idea that Cisneros will be able to impact the SCOTUS decision on abortion.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #45)

Thu May 19, 2022, 05:49 PM

50. Sounds like Texas. Oil companies gouge Americans.. Texas gets our tax dollars.

Anyone who is anti abortion wants women dead.

Reply to this post

Response to Autumn (Reply #50)

Fri May 20, 2022, 11:06 AM

67. I live in South Texas.

And your post is spot on.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #67)

Fri May 20, 2022, 12:53 PM

68. Much of my family still lives there and we go often. I know Texas and it's attitudes well.

It's a place best taken in small doses

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #45)

Sun May 22, 2022, 07:14 PM

74. Do they read LMT?

FBI won't officially clear Cuellar of wrongdoing before Election Day

https://www.lmtonline.com/local/article/FBI-provides-no-update-on-FBI-investigation-17182006.php

I notice his own attorney made that claim which hasnít been verified by other news sources.

Reply to this post

Response to AZProgressive (Reply #74)

Sun May 22, 2022, 07:29 PM

75. We will see what happens on Tuesday.

The issue regarding the FBI raid has remained stalled since the primary in March so it won't be the deciding issue in the runoff.

Reply to this post

Response to AZProgressive (Reply #74)

Wed May 25, 2022, 04:40 AM

76. Apparently not, or at least they don't care.

Cuellar returned the favor to the Laredo Morning Times and specifically excluded them from the post-election media event:

The night was also not without some added drama. At Cuellar's gathering of local officials and supporters, one of his representatives addressed the media present at around midnight claiming that the congressman said all media could go speak to him except for Laredo Morning Times.

A different representative of Cuellar expressed his displeasure earlier in the night with LMT's story from this past weekend as it asked the FBI for official confirmation the nine-term incumbent had indeed been cleared of any wrongdoing from the January FBI raid of his home and office. The bureau refused to clear Cuellar to LMT, as the story cited that entering Election Day, the only person who had stated on the record that Cuellar was not the target of an investigation was his own lawyer, Joshua Berman.

Upon hearing that LMT would not be allowed to attend the session with Cuellar, other media members were irked by the decision and sent over all the congressman's comments in response.

https://www.lmtonline.com/local/article/Cuellar-declares-victory-as-race-remains-too-17197166.php

Reply to this post

Response to Autumn (Reply #2)

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:42 PM

39. Ok but my question is can she win? We need to hold the House.

Reply to this post

Thu May 19, 2022, 01:36 PM

3. Yes, let's blame the 18 year old for the 40 year old's transgressions...

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2022/03/texas-house-congress-primary-henry-cuellar-jessica-cisneros-tabloid-scandal

And Cuellar is way to the right of the party. He's pro fossil fuel, anti-gun control, co-sponsored legislation to make it easier to deport minors from South and Central America, and so on. He's one of the, if not the, most conservative democrats outside of Joe Manchin. He's a blue dog, and often sides with Republicans against democratic legislation.

But I digress, let's get back to bashing the teenager...

Reply to this post

Response to TiberiusB (Reply #3)

Thu May 19, 2022, 01:51 PM

6. She carried on the affair long after. I believe they still are close politically

It was his ex wife, the one Cisneros knew about yet ignored who told the story.

She makes me sick for knowingly ending a marriage, with no consideration for women who are cheated on by the man they marry.

Reply to this post

Response to Budi (Reply #6)

Thu May 19, 2022, 02:27 PM

15. Sounds a little puritanical to me.

A little personal, perhaps?

She was an 18 year old at the time. That was ten years ago. It was two consenting adults, and a marriage is already broken or the husband wouldnít be having an affair.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #15)

Thu May 19, 2022, 02:42 PM

16. No. She broke up the marriage years later

Nothing puritanical about continuing on with a guy after he's left you for another & then continuing on until that marriage is broken.

She was 18 & he wad 40 when it began.

She continued long he left her for a more mature woman his age.
She meddled until the marriage was finally broken up.
His ex blames Cisneros for basically disrespecting the fact that he had moved on from their fling, was a married man, & for never giving up sticking her nose in their marriage.
Not so much puritanical as obsessed.

She owns her role in the disrespect the right of a woman's marriage over her own obsession.

That's the storyline soap operas are made of.
So much for women's right to dignity & respect

Campaign on !.

Reply to this post

Response to Budi (Reply #16)

Thu May 19, 2022, 02:49 PM

17. Again, one more time...

A woman cannot break up a marriage.

The man either participates in the affair or does not.

Jesica Cisneros was not married at the time. John Balli was. It was his responsibility to be faithful to his wife.

And beyond that, itís a private matter and should have no bearing on her ability to represent her District.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #17)

Thu May 19, 2022, 02:53 PM

18. +1

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #17)

Thu May 19, 2022, 02:55 PM

19. Well it wasn't a private matter all the yrs she kept showing up in someone elses marriage.

Lol. Who's privacy are we talking about exactly.

Reply to this post

Response to Budi (Reply #19)

Thu May 19, 2022, 02:57 PM

20. Oh good grief.

I feel like Iím lost in the fifties.

Have a great afternoon.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #20)

Thu May 19, 2022, 03:02 PM

22. Lol. Ya. Its like the married woman didn't matter one bit

Cuz its all about meeee.

Some women's rights activist huh. Hoo boy.
Wow.

Reply to this post

Response to Budi (Reply #22)

Thu May 19, 2022, 03:07 PM

25. The married woman has the right to leave the marriage

If her husband is not keeping his vows. And I would support her right to do that.

But the married womanís argument is with her husband. He was unfaithful. You act as if he was under some magic spell cast by Cisneros and he canít control himself. Bullshit. He can keep it zipped.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #25)

Thu May 19, 2022, 03:55 PM

29. You act like she played no role even after persuing the guy, 11 years after he'd married another.

And that wife of 11 years deserved no respite nor respect from cisneros???

And she's selling herself now on dignity & rights of women.
wow.

Cisneros could have self respectably told the married man she respected the woman he calls his wife enough to tell him tell him to get lost.

But she didn't. Because she did what all cheaters do.
Disrespected the woman of that 11 yr marriage

Reply to this post

Response to Budi (Reply #29)

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:36 PM

37. You haven't acknowledge once during this exchange

That the husband bore any responsibility to be faithful to his wife.

Are you pro choice? Please answer.

Henry Cuellar is NOT, and he was hand picked by a group of REPUBLICAN businessmen to run as a Democrat. I know because I worked for one of those men. He does not support a progressive agenda.

At least Cisneros supports Democratic principles.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #37)

Thu May 19, 2022, 05:42 PM

46. I think all bear responsibility, including Cisneros

I have little respect for someone who knowingly gets involved with a married person - I should know, it happened to me. While I didnít hold great malice towards the interloper compared to my spouse, itís kind of a Republican move to fail to respect the sanctity of the marriage bond. If the marriage was over, an honorable person would have demanded that the marriage be ended before an affair began. Call it puritanical; or maybe you doth protest too much.

Reply to this post

Response to elias7 (Reply #46)

Thu May 19, 2022, 06:27 PM

54. I have little respect for Henry Cuellar.

I donít care what Jessica Cisneros does in her personal life. I care who does not support choice and Cuellar does not.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #25)

Thu May 19, 2022, 05:46 PM

47. Exactly

It is past time that we stop blaming the SINGLE person in affairs. The single person did not break any vows. The married individual did.

Reply to this post

Response to TxGuitar (Reply #47)

Thu May 19, 2022, 06:20 PM

52. Thank you.

Jeez, some of these posts are scary. Seems some here want the woman wearing a scarlett letter.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #20)

Thu May 19, 2022, 03:03 PM

23. Right?

But, hey, we learned something today...apparently, some people still believe that women are 100% at fault for any affairs.

I'm not sure why. You'd think a 40 year old man could say "no", but what do I know?

Reply to this post

Response to Bettie (Reply #23)

Thu May 19, 2022, 03:13 PM

26. Yes. Right.

Iím seriously surprised to see this crap being spouted on a progressive board.

Itís all connected to the argument that women are ďevilĒ, or vixens of some sort. Itís absurd and we donít have time for this shit. We got passed that type of thinking decades ago.

Reply to this post

Response to Bettie (Reply #23)

Thu May 19, 2022, 05:47 PM

48. +1

Reply to this post

Response to TiberiusB (Reply #3)

Thu May 19, 2022, 02:03 PM

9. It's so much for fun for some to be able to trash the woman. And of course its an excuse to bash

progressive women. This line says it all.
ďAOC-backed candidate Jessica Cisneros had affair with her high school teacher

The teacher she had an affair with broke up with her to marry the other woman who later divorced him. So much for "breaking up his marriage & family"

Reply to this post

Response to Autumn (Reply #9)

Thu May 19, 2022, 03:06 PM

24. It's the headline from the Murdoch NYPost article. Nt

Reply to this post

Thu May 19, 2022, 01:43 PM

4. My understanding

Is that is a socially conservative district.

Reply to this post

Response to JustAnotherGen (Reply #4)

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:45 PM

41. In that case we need to stick with Cuellar. That affaire will ruin her chances. We need to hold the

House folks.

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #41)

Thu May 19, 2022, 03:46 PM

27. Whaaa?

So two people have an affair but she get the blame.

Reply to this post

Response to progressoid (Reply #27)

Thu May 19, 2022, 03:57 PM

30. She persued him until his 11 yr marriage ended.

The only one disrespected was the wife. For 11 yrs. By both cheaters

Reply to this post

Response to Budi (Reply #30)

Fri May 20, 2022, 12:14 AM

61. The wife could have had a lover too - for all we know

Who cares? This is 2022! Progressive woman candidate- Iím in. Look at all the shit that was thrown at Summer Lee - and hopefully her win stays.

Reply to this post

Response to Budi (Reply #30)

Fri May 20, 2022, 11:02 AM

66. That's just not true

I suspect you can't reply since there's a "Post Removed" up above, but what happened was:

2011: Cisneros and Balli start a relationship; Balli was already dating Ramirez
2014: Balli and Ramirez get married; it's clear the relationship with Cisneros is over by this stage, though Cisneros wanted it to continue
2020: Balli supports Cisneros's campaign; Ramirez objects to late night messages between Balli and Cisneros.
2021: Ramirez divorces Balli, at first claiming adultery, but without specifying with whom; adultery is not part of the eventual divorce reasons (Balli denied it). Ramirez claims Cisneros broke the marriage up.

Reply to this post

Thu May 19, 2022, 01:54 PM

7. Which could easily cost us one of only two competitive districts in TX

Not the best district to make abortion a leading issue.

Could hurt us in the neighboring 15th as well.

Reply to this post

Response to FBaggins (Reply #7)

Thu May 19, 2022, 02:04 PM

10. So we should shy away from being pro choice?

Sorry, I donít think thatís a winning argument regardless of where we are talking about. It makes us look like we are ashamed of the pro choice position.

We need better messaging so that voters understand what is at stake.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #10)

Thu May 19, 2022, 02:17 PM

12. We? Of course not

But we should absolutely run candidates who can win the districts they're defending.

The party doesn't have to change its positions at all in order to run the most progressive candidate who can win a given district.

An incumbent in a D+7 district has a decent shot this Fall even with the expected tough headwinds. Making it an open seat and running a candidate who is out of touch with the district makes it a tossup at best.

Reply to this post

Response to FBaggins (Reply #12)

Thu May 19, 2022, 02:24 PM

14. And when that candidate is asked about abortion?

They should say????

Because Iím not voting for anyone who doesnít assertively defend choice. This ďopen tentĒ stuff is wishy washy. Democrats support choice. If not, they can go to the other side.

Iím sorry but I refuse to give an inch on this issue. If we give an inch, we will be in burkas before we know it.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #14)

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:01 PM

31. It's about actually having abortion rights. Doesn't really matter what people's personal

opinion is.

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #31)

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:30 PM

35. It matters to me what a candidate's position is.

This is a do or die issue for me, and I think most women. Iím not giving any leeway for people to be against choice.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #35)

Thu May 19, 2022, 09:40 PM

56. Well you are if you give up a seat to Republicans which could

allow them to take control of Congress and control the agenda.

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #56)

Thu May 19, 2022, 10:37 PM

58. So once again, women should be asked to

Give up their issue for the good of everyone elseís issues? Nah, Iím pretty much done with that.

Iím sure it would be okay with you if a potential Democratic candidate believed that homosexuality was a sin, etc., right? For the good of the cause and not to lose a seat?

We need to stop settling and we need to work to make the world right for everyone. We need to stop asking people to be okay with half ass.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #58)

Fri May 20, 2022, 12:05 AM

60. I'm not the one giving up anything. I'm the one that actually cares about keeping abortion rights

legal .

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #60)

Fri May 20, 2022, 12:50 AM

62. Then I'm sure you don't support Henry Cuellar.

n/t

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #62)

Fri May 20, 2022, 01:37 AM

63. I'm not from that district but I would rather have Cuellar win the seat than a less conservative

lose it .

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #63)

Fri May 20, 2022, 09:49 AM

64. Good to know.

Always good to know the importance posters place on womenís lives. Thank you.

Reply to this post

Response to hamsterjill (Reply #64)

Fri May 20, 2022, 10:36 AM

65. Yes, I get it's more important to actually protect abortion rights

than to care what people's personal opinions are.

Reply to this post

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:47 PM

42. No it doesn't. It makes us look like we want to win. And I do.

Bob Casey ...the Senator from PA is pro-choice. They do exist.

Reply to this post

Thu May 19, 2022, 05:50 PM

51. Exactly

There are some issues that we, as Democrats, cannot give an inch on. Anti-choice is one of those issues.

Reply to this post

Response to TxGuitar (Reply #51)

Thu May 19, 2022, 06:22 PM

53. Thank you again.

Iím not giving an inch and will not support Democrats who do. The right to choice is critical. It is life or death and it is NOT negotiable.

Reply to this post

Response to TxGuitar (Reply #51)

Thu May 19, 2022, 07:35 PM

55. Yes. If there was ever a line that we shouldn't cross it is this one

giving into the anti-choice side means that women essentially become nothing more than incubators during the majority of their lives, you know, the time when they could possibly become pregnant.

All those bills to give personhood to fertilized eggs, zygotes, embryos, etc...in giving them personhood, the woman loses hers becoming nothing more than a vessel during gestation.

That isn't hysteria, that is the future young women are looking at.

Reply to this post

Response to FBaggins (Reply #7)

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:10 PM

33. So, for this race, pretend that the party doesn't support women's reproductive rights?

Are there other groups whose issues don't matter quite so much if the candidate chooses not to support the platform?

Or is it just women who get thrown under the bus?

Reply to this post

Response to Bettie (Reply #33)

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:31 PM

36. +1000

Well said!

Reply to this post

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:37 PM

38. Nope

Just have the sense to tell the difference NOT between two democrats who agree on most issues but not on one substantial one VS the republican who will end up with that seat instead.

Are there other groups whose issues don't matter quite so much

There are LOTS of groups in the same boat. Agreeing with us 80% of the time is better than disagreeing with us 100% of the time

Reply to this post

Response to FBaggins (Reply #38)

Thu May 19, 2022, 10:43 PM

59. No, there are no other groups who stand to lose control of their physical bodies.

When Roe gets overturned, there will certainly be ripple effects throughout other groups. We know that and we expect that. And no one wants that. People should be able to live their lives as they see fit. End of story. Full stop.

But the effects on the LGBTQ community do not equate with the physical effect of someone having to bear a child, going through physical pain and possibly dying.

We need to focus on the womenís issue right now. It is the immediate threat.

Reply to this post

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:49 PM

43. Of course not. That is our belief and is on the platform as well. But we have to win.

If we lose the House, we will not be able to protect women...I can stomach a pro-life person in a conservative district and he has been on for a while.

Reply to this post

Thu May 19, 2022, 01:58 PM

8. How much influence does Jayapal have outside of Seattle?

She can endorse who she wants but I don't think it's going to make a difference one way or the other.

Reply to this post

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Reply #8)

Thu May 19, 2022, 02:20 PM

13. Quite a bit with the more progressive elements in the party

Few of whom live in southern Texas of course.

Reply to this post

Response to FBaggins (Reply #13)

Thu May 19, 2022, 02:59 PM

21. K & R

Reply to this post

Thu May 19, 2022, 10:27 PM

57. A lot live there. Bernie won this district twice

Reply to this post

Response to AntivaxHunters (Reply #57)

Sat May 21, 2022, 10:24 AM

70. That's a pretty ridiculous conclusion

He won almost all of Texas when it was just Democratic voters and his opponent was Hillary Clinton. It does not then follow that Texas is suddenly a progressive state. He then won a small plurality of this district in a four-way race (again in a Democratic primary)... that is hardly evidence that there are lots of people in southern TX just waiting with bated breath for Jayapal to tell them who to support.

Remember that Sanders won every single county in the 2016 WV primary. That doesn't mean that we should pick our next statewide candidate from a list of Squad favorites.

Reply to this post

Response to FBaggins (Reply #70)

Sat May 21, 2022, 12:24 PM

71. Tell me how you support anti-choose candidates

without telling me you support anti-choice candidates.

Reply to this post

Response to AntivaxHunters (Reply #71)

Sat May 21, 2022, 01:08 PM

72. Laughably naive

It isnít about preferring an anti-choice candidate over a pro-choice one.

Itís about preferring an anti-choice democrat who can win a race against an anti-choice-and-everything-else Republican - over a pro-choice democrat losing the seat to that same republican.

If youíre really pro-choice then youíre glad that we picked an anti-choice Democrat in WV over an ideologically-pure Democrat who would have handed the Senate back to McConnell to give us Garland 2.0

Reply to this post

Response to FBaggins (Reply #72)

Sat May 21, 2022, 09:09 PM

73. You're very mistaken

It is about electing pro-choice Democrats in a district Bernie carried. Twice.

Calling me naive when you don't even understand the make up of the district is pretty hilarious lol
It doesn't speak well in this day and age with all that's happening that you'd support a candidate who takes away the rights of myself & everyone else, who has voted with Trump 65% of the time & has an A+ rating from the NRA.

If you're pro-choice then you'd agree that with Roe vs Wade being overturned that those types of candidates do nothing to help Democrats all across the country. The ramifications of someone like him winning over a pro-choice progressive woman would have national impact & disenfranchise voters a lot.

Not a good look at all.

Reply to this post

Sat May 21, 2022, 08:59 AM

69. LOL

Reply to this post

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Reply #8)

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:49 PM

44. None in Texas...I would imagine.

Reply to this post

Thu May 19, 2022, 03:51 PM

28. Is there any news about the FBI raid of Cuellar's office and home?

Reply to this post

Response to progressoid (Reply #28)

Thu May 19, 2022, 04:14 PM

34. Yes, this was published last month:

Rep. Henry Cuellar Ďnot a targetí of FBI agents who searched his home, attorney says

WASHINGTON ó An attorney for U.S. Rep. Henry Cuellar, a Laredo Democrat whose home and campaign office were searched by the FBI earlier this year, says the Department of Justice told him that the congressman is not a target in the federal investigation.

ďOver the last several weeks, the Justice Department, in a conversation I had with the prosecutor, let me know that Congressman Cuellar is not a target of this investigation,Ē Joshua Berman, Cuellarís attorney, told Fox News.

Berman confirmed the same to Hearst Newspapers in a text message on Wednesday, saying: ďDOJ informed me that Congressman Cuellar is not a target of the investigation.Ē

More at https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Henry-Cuellar-FBI-Investigation-17079034.php

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread