HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » GOP Can Defend North Caro...

Thu Jun 23, 2022, 12:48 PM

GOP Can Defend North Carolina Voter Law, Supreme Court Says

Source: Bloomberg Law

The Republican-led North Carolina General Assembly can step into defend the state’s voter identification law even though the state’s Democratic attorney general is already doing so, the US Supreme Court said.

Justice Neil Gorsuch, writing for an 8-1 court on Thursday agreed with North Carolina Senate leader Philip Berger and House Speaker Timothy Moore that the state Assembly had an interest in defending the law, particularly given the politically divisive nature of the legislation.

The 2018 voter law was passed over Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper’s veto, and challenged by the NAACP in federal court, saying it disproportionately harms Black and Latino voters. The litigation was stayed pending the Supreme Court ruling on the procedural question.

Gorsuch emphasized that North Carolina law specifically allows their legislative leaders to defend statutes against constitutional challenges. “Within wide constitutional bounds, States are free to structure themselves as they wish,” he said.

Read more: https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-week/republicans-can-defend-north-carolina-voter-law-justices-say

Justice Sonia Sotomayor was the lone dissent.

4 replies, 1240 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply GOP Can Defend North Carolina Voter Law, Supreme Court Says (Original post)
Polybius Jun 23 OP
Marthe48 Jun 23 #1
Polybius Jun 23 #2
Marthe48 Jun 23 #3
Jose Garcia Jun 23 #4

Response to Polybius (Original post)

Thu Jun 23, 2022, 01:19 PM

1. OTOH guns

re: NY's gun law getting struck down

The rw majority of rabid pretend judges on the s.c are making it up as they go along.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Marthe48 (Reply #1)

Thu Jun 23, 2022, 01:32 PM

2. I don't understand why this was 8-1

At first glance, it looks right-wing.

Reply to this post

Response to Polybius (Reply #2)

Thu Jun 23, 2022, 01:35 PM

3. I noticed that

I saw in the o.p. that s.c. is admitting states can structure their government as they wish, and somehow, this fits in there. There will be mayhem at polling places.

Reply to this post

Response to Polybius (Reply #2)

Thu Jun 23, 2022, 01:41 PM

4. The ruling isn't about the voting law

It's about if the state legislature can defend a state law in court if the state AG refuses to do so.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread