Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

BumRushDaShow

(134,005 posts)
Wed Jul 10, 2024, 11:11 AM Jul 10

NYC man and Canadian national plead guilty to exporting U.S. electronics used in Russian weapons in Ukraine

Source: CBS News/AP

Updated on: July 10, 2024 / 9:49 AM EDT

A Canadian national and a New York resident pleaded guilty on Tuesday to illegally exporting millions of dollars worth of U.S. electronics that were used in Russian weapons in Ukraine, the Justice Department said.

Nikolay Goltsev, 38, of Montreal, and Salimdzhon Nasriddinov, 53, of Brooklyn, face up to 20 years in prison for conspiring to commit export control violations, the department said in a statement.

According to federal prosecutors, some of the electronic components shipped by the defendants have been found in seized Russian weapons platforms and signals intelligence equipment in Ukraine, including an airborne counter missile system, Ka-52 helicopters, unmanned aerial vehicles and battle tanks.

"The defendants shipped millions of dollars of U.S. electronics critical to the missiles and drones Russia uses to attack Ukraine, and they now face U.S. prison time for their scheme," Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco said. "As Russia continues to wage its unjust war of aggression against Ukraine, the department remains committed to holding accountable those who fuel Putin's war machine."

Read more: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/guilty-pleas-exporting-us-electronics-russian-weapons-ukraine/

Link to DOJ PRESS RELEASE - New York Man and Canadian National Plead Guilty to Multimillion-Dollar Export Control Scheme
12 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
NYC man and Canadian national plead guilty to exporting U.S. electronics used in Russian weapons in Ukraine (Original Post) BumRushDaShow Jul 10 OP
Traitors IronLionZion Jul 10 #1
Exactly AZ8theist Jul 10 #9
Wow! Just wow. Hermit-The-Prog Jul 10 #2
Now extradite them to Ukraine nt ArkansasDemocrat1 Jul 10 #3
Yep relayerbob Jul 10 #4
They did their crimes here. Igel Jul 10 #7
the death penalty would be too good for them. nt ImNotGod Jul 10 #5
Russians have moved here to the US and operated as deep moles for a long time FakeNoose Jul 10 #6
Because of their skin color IronLionZion Jul 10 #8
Sorry if I sounded like "ALL Russian immigrants are moles" - of course that's not true FakeNoose Jul 10 #11
This headline sounds awfully familiar. I'm sure this or similar to this was in the news a couple of years ago. SupportSanity Jul 10 #10
Also we need to make note of the fact that moniss Jul 10 #12

AZ8theist

(5,782 posts)
9. Exactly
Wed Jul 10, 2024, 02:45 PM
Jul 10

If Dotard had come out against Eastern European (Russian) immigrants and Russian organized criminals infesting our country INSTEAD of the southern immigrants who pick our food, I might consider him for a second term.

NOT!!

What was I thinking??????
Of course he wouldn't do that becasue he's a racist. And a Putin puppet. Project 2025 talks about deporting MILLIONS of immigrants.
Are ANY OF THEM RUSSIAN??? I seriously doubt it..........

Hermit-The-Prog

(35,069 posts)
2. Wow! Just wow.
Wed Jul 10, 2024, 11:33 AM
Jul 10
"Some of these components were critical to Russia's precision-guided weapons systems being used against Ukraine," the Justice Department said.

relayerbob

(6,662 posts)
4. Yep
Wed Jul 10, 2024, 12:09 PM
Jul 10

I’m sure they’ll be welcomed in Ukraine, and can start serving their sentences here as soon as they serve their time there. Assuming they survive

FakeNoose

(33,950 posts)
6. Russians have moved here to the US and operated as deep moles for a long time
Wed Jul 10, 2024, 12:39 PM
Jul 10

This has been going on since before the fall of the USSR. Why are we letting them into the country if we can't keep a tight watch on their activities? They don't come here because they love our freedoms, they come because they're acting under orders of Mother Russia.

IronLionZion

(46,027 posts)
8. Because of their skin color
Wed Jul 10, 2024, 01:54 PM
Jul 10

to answer your question.

FWIW, the Russian immigrants I work with all openly hate Putin and would celebrate the day he dies.

FakeNoose

(33,950 posts)
11. Sorry if I sounded like "ALL Russian immigrants are moles" - of course that's not true
Wed Jul 10, 2024, 03:48 PM
Jul 10

... but the ones who are moles - like the oligarchs - are shielded by Chump and others because he made multi-millions when he sold them properties.

There are plenty of former Russians who have left Putin behind and came to the US to start a new life. They aren't looking back, and I welcome them here like all immigrants.

The moles are a different story - Pootie is paying them to do as much damage as they can while they're here. Once they're caught, they'll scoot back to Russia and get their reward. Remember Maria Butina, the NRA "gun" girl? She's doing well - a member of the Duma now.

moniss

(4,515 posts)
12. Also we need to make note of the fact that
Wed Jul 10, 2024, 04:49 PM
Jul 10

no big media over the last 8 years has had the guts to do a full story on the Russian mob operating in the US, their money laundering and the use of that money in conjunction with Russian Intelligence to support military and intelligence objectives. All we have gotten are little individual stories about this guy in Kentucky who was the friend of Mitch etc. and stories like that. It is an entire worldwide operation with an overarching coordination and purpose.

Latest Discussions»Latest Breaking News»NYC man and Canadian nati...