HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Reid sets up jobless aid ...

Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:49 AM

Reid sets up jobless aid vote for this week

Source: The Hill

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) filed cloture on a House bill that the Senate will use as a vehicle to pass an unemployment insurance extension likely by Friday.

Reid filed the motion to end debate on H.R. 3979, the Protecting Volunteer Firefighters and Emergency Responders Act, which the House passed earlier this month.

H.R. 3979 aims to exempt volunteer firefighters and EMTs from being considered full-time employees under ObamaCare mandates. Reid will use that bill as a way to send a five-month unemployment insurance (UI) extension bill back to the House.

Since Reid filed cloture, that would set up a vote as soon as Friday but Democrats are hoping to reach an agreement to hold the vote Thursday evening.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/201884-reid-sets-up-ui-vote-for-this-week

3 replies, 9255 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Reid sets up jobless aid vote for this week (Original post)
kpete Mar 2014 OP
jwirr Mar 2014 #1
onehandle Mar 2014 #2
FloriTexan Mar 2014 #3

Response to kpete (Original post)

Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:54 AM

1. The repugs have voted over 50 times to repeal ACA. I think we should bring these important bills up

as often as we can. I know it will not make any difference but at least the repugs will show their true colors and we will have tried.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to kpete (Original post)

Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:05 AM

2. Tens of thousands more are added to those eligible for an UI extension roles each week.

Why aren't these people showing up at Congresspeople's offices?

I'm expecting a desperate unemployed worker to go apeshit sooner or later.

Reply to this post

Response to onehandle (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:19 AM

3. Probably because they don't have the money

to travel there. Perhaps they've given up on our lawmakers. I have.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread