HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Stockman urges House to r...

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 03:11 PM

Stockman urges House to repeal military base gun ban

Source: Your Houston News

WASHINGTON – Congressman Steve Stockman (R-TX 36) Thursday urged his House colleagues to pray for and support the victims and victims’ families of Wednesday’s fatal shooting at Fort Hood, and to support his bill, H.R. 3199, the “Safe Military Bases Act,” which repeals the Clinton-era ban on military personnel carrying weapons on base.

“This is the third mass shooting on a military base in five years, and it’s because our trained soldiers aren’t allowed to carry defensive weapons,” said Stockman. “Anti-gun activists have turned our military bases into soft targets for killers.”

“Only the most out-of-touch radical would try to disarm soldiers. It’s time to repeal this deadly anti-gun law before it creates another mass killing,” said Stockman. “This is another tragedy created by anti-gun activists. If members of Congress are protected by loaded automatic weapons in the Capitol they have no right to deny that right to trained soldiers on base.”

“In 1991, just six miles from Fort Hood, we suffered a mass shooting at a Luby’s cafeteria of civilians who by law had to leave their guns in their cars. Texas responded to this tragedy by passing a concealed carry bill allowing civilians to defend themselves in public,” said Stockman “It’s time for Congress to allow soldiers to defend themselves on base before this happens again.”

Read more: http://m.yourhoustonnews.com/friendswood/opinion/stockman-urges-house-to-repeal-military-base-gun-ban/article_3477708f-4c6f-520e-a79f-87ca9bd5965b.html?mode=jqm

17 replies, 1561 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Jgarrick (Original post)

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 03:13 PM

1. Looooooooooooooooooooooooooonatic. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 03:16 PM

2. You know you can always trust

a piece of shit like Steve Stockman to come out with a bunch of pro-NRA talking points before the latest bodies are even cold.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 03:17 PM

3. "...repeal this deadly anti-gun law before it creates another mass killing...."

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 03:22 PM

4. Harry Reid is Right On It - After How Many Massacres?

Harry Reid says: "Couldn't we at least have background checks so that people who are ill mentally, or who are felons, shouldn't be able to buy guns?" Reid said. "Even NRA members -- a majority of them -- support that, so I hope we can bring it back up."

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 03:25 PM

5. You can not get intelligent answers from the teabaggers.

I just hope this helps to expose him and the voters will sent him to the curb.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 03:35 PM

6. What the hell did Luby's have to do with THIS?

And this was an Army base...there should already have been guns in easy reach for pretty much anybody there, shouldn't there?

Reply to this post

Response to Ken Burch (Reply #6)

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 03:41 PM

8. Are you under the impression that soldiers at Army bases carry loaded weapons routinely?

http://www.hood.army.mil/dhr/forms/fhform190-19.pdf

11. The Texas Concealed Handgun Law does not apply on Fort Hood. Concealed handguns are prohibited on Fort Hood.

All official firearms are unloaded and locked away in vaults.

Reply to this post

Response to Jgarrick (Reply #8)

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 07:45 PM

12. I was thinking that, since they train for wars all the time, guns would at least be close at hand.

You'd think there'd be lots of weapons at an Army base-I figured that would sort of be the point of the whole thing. If I was wrong about that, I stand corrected.

But I don't want to discuss this too much more, out of respect for the victims.

Reply to this post

Response to Ken Burch (Reply #12)

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 09:03 PM

14. Quite the opposite.

But I don't want to discuss this too much more, out of respect for the victims.

Fair enough.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 03:36 PM

7. Just couldn't have the decency to leave this alone, could he?

Just couldn't NOT go there.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 04:22 PM

9. I grew up military and married military

been on lots of bases. The only guns available were to MPs or APs (base police) until this war when so many were sent overseas. Then they hired civilians to man the gates of our local base. CIVILIANS. They were not armed as far as I could see. And this is a large base. But then we haven't been down for about a years. Maybe things have changed. But last few times I was on base, did not see any MPs, just civilians hired to check IDs. Did they tell you this on TV, I bet not.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 05:15 PM

10. this guy is a utter fool

Reply to this post

Response to weissmam (Reply #10)

Fri Apr 4, 2014, 12:09 AM

17. And an unbeatable fool, too.

The way his district is drawn, Stockman could probably win after being caught in a compromising position with 'Bevo".

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 05:29 PM

11. If your political agenda is being pimped by Steve Stockman, you've got problems. (nt)

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 07:53 PM

13. What?? Too soon?

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 10:06 PM

15. Guns on bases

The guy who thinks guns are easily accessible on military bases is like many no military people that are willing to peak out even though they know little about our military. Every single bullet on a base is accounted for. When you assume a post which requires a gun, the person you are relieving must show every bullet issued with the gun. When you take the weapon and start that watch, when you finish, you must also have all the ammo you started with r explain why any is gone. How some people can assume weapons and ammo is not monitored is beyond me.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 3, 2014, 10:44 PM

16. Another deranged idiot speaks.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread