HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Hit song about 'death tra...

Mon Jul 14, 2014, 07:35 PM

Hit song about 'death train' of Central America that has killed thousands of illegal immigrants was

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by William769 (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Daily Mail

Hit song about 'death train' of Central America that has killed thousands of illegal immigrants was 'propaganda made by the US government' to dissuade border crossings

'La Bestia' is a popular song about the freight train 'The Beast' that hundreds of thousands of migrants risk their lives riding to try and get into America
Sung in Spanish, it tells of the dangers of using La Bestia as a migrant
Song was commissioned by U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Part of the multimillion dollar 'Dangers Awareness Campaign'
There is no disclaimer that comes with the song so listeners are not aware the song was created for them by the U.S. government

By Joel Christie
Published: 18:10 EST, 14 July 2014 | Updated: 18:15 EST, 14 July 2014

The U.S. government's latest attempt to stop illegal immigrants crossing the border comes via the radio.

As part of a new multi-million dollar 'Dangers Awareness Campaign', the U.S. Customs and Border Protection campaign commissioned a catchy Spanish song to be written and produced to discourage families in Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador from sending their children with smugglers to cross the U.S. border through Mexico.

That song - La Bestia - has subsequently become a major radio hit in Central America, with its legion of fans unaware it was created to 'teach' them something.

La Bestia - translated as 'The Beast' - refers to the notoriously dangerous freight train that migrants ride from Southern Mexico - risking robbery, kidnapping, rape, and murder - just to make it to the U.S. border, reports The Daily Beast.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2692236/Hit-radio-song-Central-America-commissioned-U-S-government-secretly-discourage-immigrants-crossing-border.html

3 replies, 1091 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hit song about 'death train' of Central America that has killed thousands of illegal immigrants was (Original post)
Judi Lynn Jul 2014 OP
freshwest Jul 2014 #1
Zipgun Jul 2014 #2
William769 Jul 2014 #3

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Mon Jul 14, 2014, 08:11 PM

1. IF... that kind of crossing 'killed thousands' I don't think the song is a bad idea... Just sayin'

I've read of the abuse people suffer, mainly women and children, doing these trips. Also, the cruel treatment meted out by Mexican forces at their southern border to people passing through.

The immigration system needs to be fixed while the unjust governments and oligarchs people are fleeing from need to reverse course.

I know, only in my dreams...

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to freshwest (Reply #1)

Mon Jul 14, 2014, 08:13 PM

2. Have to agree, on both counts.

The article was vaguely against the song without really acknowledging how serious the problem is.

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Mon Jul 14, 2014, 08:16 PM

3. Locking. Not a reputable source for LBN.

Please consider posting in another big Forum.