HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Utah Congressman Wants to...

Wed Oct 28, 2015, 10:30 PM

Utah Congressman Wants to Stop Government Funding for Parks Across the Country

Utah Congressman Wants to Stop Government Funding for Parks Across the Country

Posted: October 28, 2015

Remember Obama’s early days, when efforts to reform health care were met with demands that the U.S. government keep its dirty mitts off Medicare? Taking that same cross-eyed look at public institutions, a Utah congressman is determined to shut down a 50-year-old bipartisan stewardship program for forests and parks across the country because he says it’s an improper use of public funds.

“There's no way in hell I am going to allow you...to expand the footprint of the federal government,” Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah, chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee, said of the program.

The Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) was created by Congress in 1964 in response to requests President Kennedy’s call for , “a land acquisition program to preserve both prime federal and state areas for outdoor recreation purposes.” A 221% increase in the use of park and forest lands since 1946 drove Kennedy’s sense that something had to be done, “before the land becomes unavailable either because of skyrocketing prices or because it has been preempted for other purposes.”

The LWCF is funded with money made from economic activity on public lands, mostly royalties from oil and gas drilling leases. It’s a fitting arrangement, and one that has resulted in 5 million acres of protected public space. Since 1978, according to High Country News, the fund has been authorized to receive up to $900 million annually, though in recent years Congress has appropriated less than a third of that. Even so, its work has helped generate hundreds of millions of dollars in outdoor recreation and working lands.

More:
http://progressive.org/news/2015/10/188379/utah-congressman-wants-stop-government-funding-parks-across-country#sthash.mXj6Uy5t.dpuf

[center]

Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah

Derp! [/center]

4 replies, 1066 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Utah Congressman Wants to Stop Government Funding for Parks Across the Country (Original post)
Judi Lynn Oct 2015 OP
HassleCat Oct 2015 #1
yeoman6987 Oct 2015 #3
procon Oct 2015 #2
global1 Oct 2015 #4

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Wed Oct 28, 2015, 10:35 PM

1. What a mess!

OK, he can't help it if he's fat. I give him a pass on that. But he could get a decent haircut. And he could stop saying stupid shit. I realize there's nothing he can do to increase his IQ, but he could learn to conceal his stupidity.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to HassleCat (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 28, 2015, 11:04 PM

3. Well heck with him

Budget just passed house for two years. By 2017, they will cry about something else. I am so glad not to hear budget into January 2017. This budget goes until March 2017. Oh sure rand Paul is going to stand and filibuster the bill but it will pass.

Reply to this post

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Wed Oct 28, 2015, 11:02 PM

2. I'm pretty sure I read that there were a lot of parks in his state.

What a shortsighted dumbass. Tourists aren't going to visit Utah national parks if they aren't safe and maintained. What about all the local towns and workers that depend on tourists for their livelihood?

Reply to this post

Response to procon (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 28, 2015, 11:28 PM

4. That Will Be A Matter The Voters Of Utah Will Have To Take Up With This Guy.....

the next time he's up for re-election.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread