HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » California opens pathway ...

Fri Sep 30, 2016, 10:52 PM

California opens pathway for cars that lack steering wheel

California regulators have changed course and opened a pathway for the public to get self-driving cars of the future that lack a steering wheel or pedals.

It's not going to happen soon, because automakers and some tech companies are still testing prototypes.

But, in a shift, the state's Department of Motor Vehicles said in a revision of draft regulations released late Friday that the most advanced self-driving cars would no longer be required to have a licensed driver if federal officials deem them safe enough.

The redrafted regulations will be the subject of a public hearing Oct. 19 in Sacramento.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-autonomous-vehicle-california-20160930-snap-story.html

2 replies, 902 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply California opens pathway for cars that lack steering wheel (Original post)
Zorro Sep 2016 OP
rusty quoin Oct 2016 #1
longship Oct 2016 #2

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Sat Oct 1, 2016, 12:16 AM

1. I recall a story about this in the 90s when I lived in CA.

I guess it's been in the works for some time. I like progress like this, though we use to call them trains.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Sat Oct 1, 2016, 03:49 AM

2. Put them all on the Grapevine. IN WINTER!

With all those semi-trailers. Then watch the mayhem happen, with both driverless cars and trucks falling over the precipice.

PayPerView!

Tejon Pass

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread