HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » HuffPost: "Did James Come...

Tue Dec 27, 2016, 11:41 PM

HuffPost: "Did James Comey Cost Hillary Clinton The Election? We Asked The Late-Deciding Voters"

"Comey was a factor for some but not others, and even then, it’s not clear how decisive his letters were. For many voters, random, often arbitrary moments from the campaign proved motivating in often unexpected ways. That Clinton left herself vulnerable to their whims is the story of the election as much as the eleventh-hour pronouncement from the FBI director."

"The Clinton campaign’s argument that Comey decided the election is based on simple math. Data shows that the majority of voters who made up their minds during the last week of the election broke for Trump ― and in significant numbers. Comey’s dual announcements were the major revelation of the week; ergo, he must have changed the course of the election.

This isn’t just a public posture, either. In a private conference call two days after the vote, Clinton’s campaign staff told surrogates that internal data showed voters unfavorable to either candidate broke heavily towards Trump “by a 20 to 30 percent margin.”"

"The letter itself didn’t phase me or move me either way on Clinton. But her reaction to it kind of solidified it,” Hernandez said. “If I wanted to say when I knew for sure, it was when they started attacking Comey for doing his job in the weekend prior to the election.”

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58617933e4b0eb586486f317/amp

9 replies, 2743 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply HuffPost: "Did James Comey Cost Hillary Clinton The Election? We Asked The Late-Deciding Voters" (Original post)
MadDAsHell Dec 2016 OP
doc03 Dec 2016 #1
BlueMTexpat Dec 2016 #2
Igel Dec 2016 #3
oasis Dec 2016 #8
Proud Liberal Dem Dec 2016 #4
oasis Dec 2016 #5
doc03 Dec 2016 #6
oasis Dec 2016 #7
morganallen Dec 2016 #9

Response to MadDAsHell (Original post)

Wed Dec 28, 2016, 12:10 AM

1. The vote was so close any number of issues may have cost Hillary the election.

1. I am sure the NRA was responsible for her losing several thousand votes.
2. The constant release of e-mails I am sure was responsible for her losing several thousand votes.
3. Her statement about the deploribles cost votes.
4. All the attacks from Bernie Sanders in the primaries cost her votes.
5. Bill Clinton saying Obamacare was the biggest mess he ever saw cost her votes.
6. The Comey letter cost several thousand votes
7. I would say the biggest damage at all was the news media.
8. Another one would be those so called millennials that wasted the their vote on someone that couldn't win or didn't vote
at all.

I don't think any one of those could be singled out as (THE) reason she lost.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to doc03 (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 28, 2016, 03:03 PM

2. I'm with you

about #7. Uniformly shi**y reporting, especially in broadcast media.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 28, 2016, 04:11 PM

3. In other words, most if not all of the issues may have cost HRC the election.

It's like the person who scores the winning 2 points in a basketball game. He gets the credit for taking it from 89-90 to 91-90. But all the people who got the score from 0-90 counted, too, because if any one of them hadn't scored those last two points would have taken it from 87-90 to 89-90.

The guys who kept the score from being 89-92 also deserve credit for their "negative" contribution, and blame for letting the other team score.

But we focus on the final couple of points because drama, because what we see is more important than what we saw. We don't much see what didn't happen; and we tend to minimize the importance of positive contributions past. But any one of them could be singled out as "the" reason for the win, just like any missed shot, any bit of failed defense, any opportunity not taken or not created, could be singled as "the" reason for a loss. Incorrectly so, but that's how we think.

We need to see just what we need to see in the 11/8 election, esp. when we can blame somebody that's a convenient enemy. Comey, pre-painted as foe; Putin, also pre-painted as foe.

The real enemy was turnout. The real problem were the registered folk not undecided between DT and HRC but between voting and not-voting and who opted for not-voting.

Reply to this post

Response to Igel (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 29, 2016, 12:09 AM

8. "The real enemy was turnout" you say. Comey's letter strikes again.

Many soft leaning, would be Hillary voters threw up their hands believing the new e-mail investigation was going to have an impact on Hillary's legal status. As a result, they never showed up to vote.

Comey did major damage to Hillary's campaign with his criminal, underhanded, sabotage.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 28, 2016, 04:15 PM

4. I agree

I think that there were a multitude of issues all of which created the perfect storm for Trump to win the EV. Seems like some of the late-deciding people voted for Trump thinking that Hillary was going to win anyway, at least due to the polls at the time, and may have chosen differently if they seriously thought that he was going to win.

It seems like the media pile-on with Trump over the sexual assault allegations/statements even made some people sympathetic to him (WTF) yet the pile-on with Hillary over the much less controversial e-mail server and phony allegations against the Clinton Foundation didn't make her more sympathetic for some weird reason.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 28, 2016, 05:04 PM

5. Hillary had overcome all obstacles and WE were poised for the win

until Comey interfered with his reckless act. He cost Americans a bright future.

Reply to this post

Response to oasis (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 28, 2016, 06:53 PM

6. I think any one of those issues alone could have swung the election. Take the

NRA, what was there 80000 votes in those 3 (Blue Wall) that we couldn't possibly lose swing states. I am sure there were at least 80000
people that voted for Trump in those states because of guns. Another one would be abortion there had to be at least 80000
people she didn't carry because of that issue. It was so close any one of a dozen issues would have swung the election.

Reply to this post

Response to doc03 (Reply #6)

Wed Dec 28, 2016, 08:43 PM

7. I don't buy it. NRA and Abortion votes had already been figured in

by both camps from day one.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 29, 2016, 08:43 PM

9. crazy

I love the woman in the article who said Clinton attacked Comey for doing his job. That's the point. He wasn't doing his job. He was violating the Hatch Act. What happened to the FBIs rule about not commenting on open investigations..

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread