HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Making It Up As They Go: ...

Thu Jan 26, 2017, 08:34 PM

Making It Up As They Go: Trump Team Now Pretending They Never Proposed 20% Wall Tax

[font size="3"]It's clear the White House doesn't have a clue what they're doing – and it seems to span all levels of the administration[/font]

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/01/26/making-go-trump-team-abandons-plan-fund-wall-20-tax.html

Just hours after White House spokesman Sean Spicer said Donald Trump’s proposed border wall would be funded by a 20 percent tax on goods coming into the U.S., the administration is backing away, telling reporters that they were just suggesting “one way” to fund it.

“Our job right now isn’t to roll something out or be prescriptive,” Spicer said not long after rolling out the idea aboard Air Force One. “It’s to show that there are ways that the wall could be paid for. Full stop. That’s it.”

The full Spicer walk-back:

[blockquote style="border:1px solid #000000;"]
Cameron Joseph Verified account 
‏@cam_joseph

.@PressSec clarifies remarks on Mexico tariff, says they weren’t supposed to be “prescriptive," from the pool report I just filed:
5:34 PM - 26 Jan 2017

As Jason Easley noted earlier, the Trump spokesman had initially put forward the plan as if it was already in motion, saying that the 20 percent import tax was “taking shape.”

What likely happened, though, is that the administration saw the immediate backlash that ensued once Spicer made the first announcement. After all, Trump seems to spend most of his day watching cable news, and the response to the plan wasn’t good.
(more)

4 replies, 1813 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Making It Up As They Go: Trump Team Now Pretending They Never Proposed 20% Wall Tax (Original post)
Bill USA Jan 2017 OP
Afromania Jan 2017 #1
CanonRay Jan 2017 #2
yurbud Jan 2017 #4
yellowcanine Jan 2017 #3

Response to Bill USA (Original post)

Thu Jan 26, 2017, 08:41 PM

1. lol

Who does Spicer he is? A Jedi or something? "These are not the Taxes you are looking for"

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 26, 2017, 08:48 PM

2. How long before they decided to tax all blue States? N/t

Reply to this post

Response to CanonRay (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 27, 2017, 12:20 PM

4. that effectively already happens. California, Mass, & New York taxes pay for the mullet-headed,

guvmint-hatin' redneck states welfare, which I wouldn't mind if they simply acknowledged that reality instead of biting off their nose to spite their face.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 27, 2017, 11:30 AM

3. That statement is now inoperative. The operative statement is "Lots of ways to do it."

I have a list of them right here in my pocket. See? (Whips paper out of coat pocket, waves it and puts it back).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread