HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Krugman explains what an ...

Mon Apr 3, 2017, 07:29 AM

Krugman explains what an idiot Trump is on trade.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/03/opinion/trump-is-wimping-out-on-trade.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region®ion=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region&_r=0

This surely isnít what working-class Trump supporters thought they were voting for. So why can Trumpist trade policy be summarized ó to quote The Timesís Binyamin Appelbaum ó as ďtalk loudly and carry a small stickĒ? Let me give two reasons.

First, back when Mr. Trump was railing against trade deals, he had no idea what he was talking about. (I know, youíre shocked to hear that.)

For example, listening to the Tweeter-in-chief, youíd think that Nafta was a big giveaway by the United States, which got nothing in return. In fact, Mexico drastically cut its tariffs on goods imported from the U.S., in return for much smaller cuts on the U.S. side.

Or take Mr. Trumpís repeated claims that China gains a competitive advantage by manipulating its currency. That was true six years ago, but itís not true now. These days China is actually intervening to keep its currency up, not down.

Talking nonsense about trade didnít hurt Mr. Trump during the campaign. But now heís finding out that those grossly unfair trade deals he promised to renegotiate arenít all that unfair, after all, leaving him with no idea what to do next.

2 replies, 5139 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Krugman explains what an idiot Trump is on trade. (Original post)
Fast Walker 52 Apr 2017 OP
TEB Apr 2017 #1
dalton99a Apr 2017 #2

Response to Fast Walker 52 (Original post)

Mon Apr 3, 2017, 07:47 AM

1. Trump has no ideas on anything domestic or foreign

We are living this because people bought into his bull. I hope these investigations bring the clown and his whole cabinet down very soon.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Fast Walker 52 (Original post)

Mon Apr 3, 2017, 08:21 AM

2. He has no idea what he's talking about on everything

except how to cheat and lie

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread