HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » The U.S. planned to get i...

Thu Aug 30, 2018, 04:54 PM

The U.S. planned to get into the fake Facebook game in Cuba

Turns out plans for Facebook fakes aren't limited to just Russia and Iran.
CASEY MICHEL
AUG 30, 2018, 4:41 PM

Earlier this month, Facebook unveiled something of a watershed moment when it came to social media interference operations. As Facebook revealed, hundreds of fake accounts — including those pushing Scottish secession — had been traced back to Iran, including some tying directly to Iran’s main propaganda organ, Press TV.

With the revelation, it was clear that Facebook fakery — and fake accounts on other platforms, from Instagram to Twitter — was no longer the limited to Russia alone. Other actors had watched Russia’s success, and were looking to follow suit.

And now, another government has been outed as planning to push inauthentic Facebook accounts to spread mixtures of news and opinion to unwitting audiences: the United States.

As the Miami New Times revealed last week, the U.S. had “put together its own plans to use Facebook to foment dissent clandestinely[.]” The target? Cuba.

More:
https://thinkprogress.org/the-u-s-planned-to-get-into-the-fake-facebook-game-in-cuba-b80848761819/

2 replies, 892 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply The U.S. planned to get into the fake Facebook game in Cuba (Original post)
Judi Lynn Aug 2018 OP
Demit Aug 2018 #1
Judi Lynn Sep 2018 #2

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Thu Aug 30, 2018, 05:20 PM

1. The Miami New Times is a good alternate newspaper!

This is an eye-opening story, isn't it? I'll bet the New Times scooped the Miami Herald on this. Damn.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Demit (Reply #1)

Sat Sep 1, 2018, 01:15 AM

2. They have done outstanding work. It's good to see a comment in their favor.

They take a real interest in the community, the state, the human race. Good writers.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread