HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » I am Jewish. I wear glass...

Mon Dec 31, 2018, 11:52 AM

I am Jewish. I wear glasses. I am bisexual -- and I'm the Rose Queen

I had to be fitted for a crown. Not the Halloween costume kind — this one is covered in cultured pearls and pave diamonds and comes with its own security detail. Apparently every queen needs one, and I am Queen Louise.

This whole experience began as a lark. My friend and I lined up with the other thousand applicants interviewing for the Tournament of Roses Royal Court in Pasadena because we wanted the two complimentary tickets to the Royal Ball that came with applying.

I don’t consider myself the royal type. I tend to trip down stairs rather than glide, and I might choose a good game of Scrabble over a palace ball. I didn’t even have much of a princess phase as a child — more backyard mud pies than dress-up tea parties. Yet, improbably, on New Year’s morning, I will take my place in the Rose Parade among a group of young women in gowns and crowns, waving from a flower-adorned float, as the 101st Rose Queen.

The first interview round was brief — I stood before a panel of 11 judges in white suits and explained why I wanted to be on the Royal Court. I told them that I was a future scientist, and that “it would be a great honor and privilege to represent the Tournament of Roses, my hometown of Pasadena and Southern California to the world.”

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-siskel-rose-queen-20181231-story.html

2 replies, 1502 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply I am Jewish. I wear glasses. I am bisexual -- and I'm the Rose Queen (Original post)
Zorro Dec 2018 OP
akraven Dec 2018 #1
FM123 Dec 2018 #2

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Mon Dec 31, 2018, 11:59 AM

1. This. Is. Just. Wonderful!

We try to never miss the Rose Parade. It means getting up early (3 hours) and copious amounts of coffee, but will be certain to watch this year! Congrats, Louise!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Mon Dec 31, 2018, 11:59 AM

2. She may only be a high school senior, but she is a very mature young person. Kudos to her!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread