HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » California teacher not al...

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 04:36 AM

California teacher not allowed to leave Guatemala hospital after breaking his neck

By Gene Haagenson
Friday, January 11, 2019 10:57AM

A high school teacher from California is living a vacation nightmare in Central America, where he was seriously injured while surfing.

Officials say 28-year-old Alex Austin was on vacation in Guatemala on the beach with his friend Dillon Nicholson when he made a tragic mistake.

"He just kind of misjudged the wave and dove headfirst into water that was maybe a foot and a half deep," Nicholson said. "And he broke his neck."

Austin had surgery on his neck vertebrae and has been in a hospital in Guatemala City for a week. He's making progress and is not paralyzed, and he recorded a video of his progress and posted it on Facebook.

More:
https://abc7ny.com/society/teacher-breaks-neck-in-guatemala-being-held-until-bill-paid/5049991/

1 replies, 619 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply California teacher not allowed to leave Guatemala hospital after breaking his neck (Original post)
Judi Lynn Saturday OP
marble falls Saturday #1

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sat Jan 12, 2019, 08:55 AM

1. My sympathy to the surfer, but I certainly understand the hospital's concerns regarding payment.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread