HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Inside Trump's First Pent...

Mon Oct 21, 2019, 11:14 AM

Inside Trump's First Pentagon Briefing

What I saw there that foretold the coming rift between Mattis and the president—and today's foreign policy crises.

Long before real planning for it began, and long before the first news stories about it, those of us in the top levels of the Pentagon heard President Donald Trump demand the military parade he would eventually get. The bizarre request was one of the first signs I had of the enormous rift between my boss at the time, Defense Secretary James Mattis, and the president.

The clash came in the middle of Trump’s first Pentagon briefing on America’s military and diplomatic “laydown”—a term of art used to describe all of the locations around the world with U.S. forces and embassies—on July 20, 2017. Mattis, for whom I was working as chief speechwriter, had hoped the briefing would educate Trump on the United States’ longstanding commitment to the rest of the world. That is not at all what happened.

Instead, the president burst out in the middle of the meeting.

“I just returned from France,” he said. “Did you see President Macron’s handshake?” he asked no one in particular. “He wouldn’t let go. He just kept holding on. I spent two hours at Bastille Day. Very impressive.”

A pause.

“I want a ‘Victory Day.’ Just like Veterans Day. The Fourth of July is too hot,” he said, apparently out of nowhere. “I want vehicles and tanks on Main Street. On Pennsylvania Avenue, from the Capitol to the White House. We need spirit! We should blow everybody away with this parade. The French had an amazing parade on Bastille Day with tanks and everything. Why can’t we do that?”

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/10/21/inside-trumps-first-pentagon-briefing-229865

3 replies, 919 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Inside Trump's First Pentagon Briefing (Original post)
demmiblue Oct 2019 OP
vlyons Oct 2019 #1
fleur-de-lisa Oct 2019 #2
FirstLight Oct 2019 #3

Response to demmiblue (Original post)

Mon Oct 21, 2019, 11:21 AM

1. So childish and immature

Craving some shiney toy fire truck, like a 7 yr old in the Walmart toy lane.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Oct 21, 2019, 11:56 AM

2. JFC! This is what would happen if a spoiled 5-year old was invited to a Pentagon briefing.

Reply to this post

Mon Oct 21, 2019, 12:00 PM

3. Read the whole thing... it's chilling

The "adults" that were in the room are all gone...and even when they were there, they had no control over this manchild.
We are in so much danger from this whole administration....the ones who stay silent are just as bad...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread