HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » The Cruelty of a Trump Ch...

Mon Dec 23, 2019, 11:11 PM

The Cruelty of a Trump Christmas. Republicans aren't Scrooges -- they're much worse.

By Trump-era standards, Ebenezer Scrooge was a nice guy.

Itís common, especially around this time of year, to describe conservative politicians who cut off aid to the poor as Scrooges; Iíve done it myself. But if you think about it, this is deeply unfair to Scrooge.

For while Dickens portrays Scrooge as a miser, heís notably lacking in malice. True, heís heartless until heís visited by various ghosts. But his heartlessness consists merely of unwillingness to help those in need. Heís never shown taking pleasure in othersí suffering, or spending money to make the lives of the poor worse.

These are things you canít say about the modern American right. In fact, many conservative politicians only pretend to be Scrooges, when theyíre actually much worse ó not mere misers, but actively cruel. This was true long before Donald Trump moved into the White House. Whatís new about the Trump era is that the cruelty is more open, not just on Trumpís part, but throughout his party.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/opinion/ebenezer-scrooge-trump.html

3 replies, 1324 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Cruelty of a Trump Christmas. Republicans aren't Scrooges -- they're much worse. (Original post)
Zorro Dec 2019 OP
dchill Dec 2019 #1
Karadeniz Dec 2019 #2
czarjak Dec 2019 #3

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Tue Dec 24, 2019, 12:25 AM

1. It's been my impression that Scrooge paid his taxes.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 24, 2019, 12:49 AM

2. This is why I call them sadists.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 24, 2019, 01:53 AM

3. Jodey Arrington...

Worked for W. during his house of cards collapse. He's back for more. Someone please ask him. He blocked me a long time ago.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread