HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Joe Walsh: You can't win,...

Wed Apr 29, 2020, 09:33 AM

Joe Walsh: You can't win, Justin Amash. You can only help Trump get reelected.

President Trump is everything our Founders feared. He routinely misleads or outright lies to the American people, he puts his own interests ahead of the nation, he canít handle dissent, he mocks our most precious institutions, heís intentionally divisive. A few months ago, he was impeached. Heís currently bungling the nationís response to a global pandemic.

Ex-Republican Rep. Justin Amash (Mich.) knows all of this. He, like me and the majority of Americans who donít approve of the job Trump is doing, and who arenít Fox News-watching minions, know that four more years of this presidency would cause permanent damage to this country. Which makes Amashís announcement last night that heís forming a presidential exploratory committee ó to mount a run for the Libertarian Party nomination ó so damn perplexing. And so disappointing.

I consider Justin a friend. Weíre former colleagues, both elected to Congress in the 2010 tea party wave. In my brief tour there, I was more of a smash-mouth guy. It landed me in hot water more than once. But voters sent me to Congress to shake things up, and thatís what I tried to do. Amash was a cooler customer, using Facebook to meticulously explain his votes to constituents.

Despite our different styles, we both were ultimately despised by the Republican Party establishment because we voted our beliefs and didnít toe the party line. We both learned the hard way that some of our former House colleagues, such as Trump attack dog Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and Trumpís former acting White House chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney ó who both served with Amash in the House Freedom Caucus ó were all talk.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/04/29/amash-libertarian-reelect-trump/

2 replies, 1204 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Joe Walsh: You can't win, Justin Amash. You can only help Trump get reelected. (Original post)
Zorro Apr 2020 OP
Midnight Writer Apr 2020 #1
JI7 Apr 2020 #2

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Wed Apr 29, 2020, 03:16 PM

1. Walsh and Amash are both as opportunistic and irrational as Trump.

I suspect that, in the end, they are vying for the same group of voters.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Midnight Writer (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 30, 2020, 06:28 AM

2. Walsh at least tried to run in the Primary

where people would be voting between him and Trump. So it would only affect Trump.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread