HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » My LTTE on the coming rig...

Wed Apr 25, 2012, 09:09 PM

My LTTE on the coming rightwing fury about the "Obama ending farm chores" nonsense

Farm chores, oh the outrage

Lookee Pa' it's another one of them fake rightwing outrage stories a'coming.

The new Department of Labor proposed law revisions are years in the making with considerable input from the farming community.

Lookee Pa', facts:

“the proposed regulations would not apply to children working on farms owned by their parents”, the Department of Labor stated in a press release last August (2011).

75 percent of the job-related fatalities for workers under 16 are from agricultural work.

The list of farm jobs that children under age 16 cannot be hired to do by nonfamily farms include: pesticide handling, timber operations, work around manure pits, and storage bins. Farm workers under 16 would no longer be able to harvest, cultivate, or cure tobacco.

If you hear it any different way it may just be the wind in the corn talking ya.

2 replies, 1620 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply My LTTE on the coming rightwing fury about the "Obama ending farm chores" nonsense (Original post)
underpants Apr 2012 OP
freshwest Apr 2012 #1
CRK7376 Apr 2012 #2

Response to underpants (Original post)

Wed Apr 25, 2012, 09:15 PM

1. The GOP has a division to manufacture poutrage. It's their only jobs program.

After the election, they'll be fired and won't get their last paycheck. You know, bootstraps!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to freshwest (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 26, 2012, 10:17 AM

2. Small miracles!!!

I hated priming tobacco as a young teen. Money was good, but work was hard and nasty. Miserable conditions. Didn't take me long to figure out that having spending money and an education was not worth working the tobacco fields near home. So I worked construction as a day laborer. Hard, but not nearly as nasty as tobacco....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread