HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Did Kenosha Police Give W...

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 04:33 PM

Did Kenosha Police Give Water to Teen Later Charged With Double Homicide?

Police can be heard on a loudspeaker saying, "We appreciate you guys," during counterprotests following the police shooting of a Black man in Kenosha.

BETHANIA PALMA
PUBLISHED 31 AUGUST 2020

Police in Kenosha, Wisconsin, gave water to Kyle Rittenhouse, the teen later charged with killing two people and wounding a third during protests over the police shooting of Jacob Blake, and said they "appreciated" the counterprotesters.

In late August 2020, Snopes readers asked whether social media posts and news stories were true that said police had expressed thanks and given water to an armed 17-year-old who was later charged with killing two men and wounding a third during protests against the police shooting of 29-year-old Jacob Blake. Blake, who is Black, had been shot seven times in the back by Kenosha police on Aug. 23.

Specifically, videos emerged showing what appeared to be police officers giving Kyle Rittenhouse bottled water and saying they “appreciate” the armed counterprotesters he was congregating with.

The claim is true. The friendly exchange between Rittenhouse and police, like many of the significant occurrences on the night of the deadly shootings, was captured on a cellphone camera.

More:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/kyle-rittenhouse-water-police/

1 replies, 916 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Did Kenosha Police Give Water to Teen Later Charged With Double Homicide? (Original post)
Judi Lynn Aug 2020 OP
Igel Aug 2020 #1

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Mon Aug 31, 2020, 08:26 PM

1. I'm surprised it's questioned.

Most of the non-left-of-center sources I look at say the cops gave him water. Same quote. Same citing of video. The others are simply quiet. Only place I heard it denied was in stuff cited here (with at least one citation that was confusing--it said the Kenosha kid gave the *cops* water.)

I must not be reading things that are sufficiently RW.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread