HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » 'Everyone's got leverage'...

Thu Sep 17, 2020, 09:02 PM

'Everyone's got leverage': Dreading a 50-50 Senate split

Itís an outcome that practically no one wants, but itís starting to look like a real possibility: a 50-50 Senate.

An evenly split Senate would make life grueling for whoever is president next year. Any one senator could determine the fate of critical nominations or key pieces of the partyís legislative agenda. And in an era of already deep polarization, it could lead to even worse gridlock, as inconceivable as that sounds.

ďA 50-50 Senate makes it really difficult for the party of the president to do everything that they may want to do because party discipline, conference discipline, is very challenging,Ē said Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.).

But if Democrats pick up a net three seats, thatís what happens. Should Joe Biden win the presidency, theyíll hold the majority; if President Donald Trump is reelected, Democrats need four seats to do so. Thatís because under an evenly divided chamber, the party that holds the White House runs the Senate, with the vice president casting the deciding 51st vote to break any tie.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/17/50-50-senate-control-416424

I would be overjoyed with a 50-50 Senate and a Biden win. We've been swimming upstream in the Senate all year, and a Democratic takeover there has seemed unlikely. But now it looks like we have a chance.

2020 Senate Election Forecasts

3 replies, 675 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'Everyone's got leverage': Dreading a 50-50 Senate split (Original post)
Lasher Sep 17 OP
Thekaspervote Sep 17 #1
No Vested Interest Sep 18 #2
Lasher Sep 18 #3

Response to Lasher (Original post)

Thu Sep 17, 2020, 09:05 PM

1. GD politico... if I never saw anything in print from them again, it would be too soon

They always pull this kind of what if scenario...and worse

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Lasher (Original post)

Fri Sep 18, 2020, 01:39 AM

2. With a Dem VP and 50 Dem Senators, All the Senate Committees would have

Dem chair persons -- I guess/hope.

Reply to this post

Response to No Vested Interest (Reply #2)

Fri Sep 18, 2020, 06:51 AM

3. That's right.

And nothing would be brought up in the Senate unless the Democratic majority leader says so. Hopefully the filibuster would be terminated from the get-go but this article's author thinks it would be hard to get 50 Democratic senators plus the VP to go along with that.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread