HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Cancel the Debates

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 01:39 PM

Cancel the Debates

- 'Cancel the Debates,' by Hunter, Daily Kos, Oct. 6, 2020.

- Known positive; known to be exposed.

The vice presidential debate on Wednesday should not go forward. It is irresponsible, it is dangerous, and it is an unwarranted reward for a White House that is still covering up the extent of the outbreak centered around Donald Trump as we speak. It is as simple as that.

In a concession to common sense, the Commission on Presidential Debates has agreed to demands from the Joe Biden and Kamala Harris campaign that a plexiglass barrier be installed between Harris and Vice President Mike Pence during tomorrow's debate. That’s a half-measure, but only a half-measure. Even the Trump-led Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now acknowledge that the virus responsible for COVID-19 is spread via airborne particles and aerosols. A plexiglass shield will stop large particles, as from a sneeze, but will have little effect on the overall air circulation. Enclosed spaces and loud talking for long durations are among the conditions believed to be most likely to spread infections. The dangers, especially after Trump may already have exposed Biden to the disease, are unacceptable.

It is not just Harris who is put in danger. In the aftermath of last Tuesday's Trump-Biden event, 11 members of the debate staff and attending press tested positive for the virus. The White House is currently a known COVID-19 hotspot—and spreading, with Trump's closest military aid and now even top military officials being forced to self-quarantine after exposure. Even if Pence himself continues to test negative, he will be accompanied by an assortment of aides and staffers who may themselves have been exposed.

If the White House will not take quarantine seriously, then at the very least Harris should not assist in their irresponsibility.

The final reason to cancel the debate, however, is because the White House appears to almost certainly be lying about the extent of the outbreak surrounding Donald Trump. There are numerous reasons to believe the White House learned of Trump's infection before last week's debate with Joe Biden, but covered it up to avoid the "optics" of having to cancel that debate. Trump's White House doctor, his press secretary, and other members of the White House have absolutely refused to clarify when Trump was first thought to be infected despite there being no plausible reason to hide that information other than to avoid White House embarrassment or scandal.

That silence is now becoming deafening.

Why the White House is so confident that Pence is not infected is unclear. It’s possible that Pence was already infected with the virus earlier in the year when his closest aide tested positive; again, we can't presume the Trump-Pence team would not have tested positive; again, we can't presume the Trump-Pence team would not have covered such a thing up. That does not mean that his entire entourage is clear of infection—not with the extent of the White House outbreak still being intentionally covered up by the White House.

It's preposterous to be conducting a face-to-face debate in these circumstances. It’s irresponsible. It will almost certainly lead to more infections...

More + Comments, https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/10/6/1984075/-Cancel-the-debates

- Evidence suggests White House knew of Trump's illness before debate, but deliberately hid it, Daily Kos, Oct. 6, 2020
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/10/6/1984024/-Evidence-suggests-White-House-knew-of-Trump-s-illness-before-debate-but-deliberately-hid-it

..The White House, however, is flatly refusing to tell the public, the Biden campaign, the debate staff and others Trump met with when Trump, who is allegedly as president tested daily or near-daily, was last known to be free of the virus. They either don't know—because they haven't been doing the testing—or they're hiding it because they have a reason to hide it. The White House has also announced that it will not be doing contact tracing of Rose Garden guests, nor will they allow the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention to launch that effort itself. They are quite insistent on not finding out either the true extent of the White House outbreak, or revealing its origins...

8 replies, 817 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cancel the Debates (Original post)
appalachiablue Oct 2020 OP
mr_lebowski Oct 2020 #1
appalachiablue Oct 2020 #2
SWBTATTReg Oct 2020 #3
appalachiablue Oct 2020 #4
SCantiGOP Oct 2020 #5
appalachiablue Oct 2020 #6
SCantiGOP Oct 2020 #7
appalachiablue Oct 2020 #8

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 01:42 PM

1. Could do it remotely ... that might make some sense (nt)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mr_lebowski (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 01:45 PM

2. Remote and cameras are fine during this crisis. Personally

I wouldn't get within 100 yds of a place with WH or other staff that are impacted.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 01:49 PM

3. trump is a f**king liar, coward, etc. for not being forward w/ Mr. Biden in mentioning his

being positive for the CV. Despicable is what I call it, not telling someone that you're positive for a highly contagious and deadly disease.

Reckless for the lives of others, regardless of the negative consequences towards everybody else but himself. I hope that the idiot relapses and he in turn, collapses from his idiotic attempts to look well when he's not, and he's obviously still infecting others possibly with his reckless behavior.

And I'm not feeling sorry for what I'm saying either, he started this whole mess by not telling Mr. Biden of his testing positive for this disease. No wonder that the trump team arrived late, to deliberately miss the CV testing upfront prior to the first debate starting. I wouldn't trust Pence either. None of the scumbags surrounding this whole trump mob are to be trusted, ever again.

Reply to this post

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #3)

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 02:00 PM

4. And it maybe accounts for why Trump was shouting so much

at the 1st debate, to spread more germs farther according to some. How sick is that.

Just added to the OP above, another new article on this topic.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 02:57 PM

5. One of the Nixon-Kennedy debates

Was split screen. They were on opposite coasts.
If you could do that in 1960 I think they could pull it off now. And, it would make it easier to muzzle the interrupter.

Reply to this post

Response to SCantiGOP (Reply #5)

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 03:03 PM

6. TY, I didn't know that; why is this even a big deal now?

Because of the attendees? It's not worth risking lives, so do them separately, pls.

i'm looking for an image of that 1960 debate now.

Reply to this post

Response to appalachiablue (Reply #6)

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 03:22 PM

7. I saw a picture of it

On Michael Beschloss’ site a day or so ago.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 6, 2020, 10:22 PM

8. kick

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread