HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » What Makes Mike Pence's C...

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 08:18 PM

What Makes Mike Pence's Complicity So Chilling

The vice president will be remembered as the great enabler.

By Timothy Egan

Somewhere under the cornfields and backyard hoop courts of Indiana is a small black box holding the conscience of Vice President Mike Pence. He buried it four years ago, when a tape emerged of Donald Trump boasting about sexually assaulting women.

Pence and his wife, Karen, whom he reportedly calls “Mother,” had rushed home to pray during the biggest campaign crisis of 2016. Ever since an evangelical conversion in college, Pence had been a beacon of Hoosier holiness, using his talk radio show and his political perch to preach biblical values in the public sphere.

But, of course, he buried them in a heartland moment. And by 2017, Pence would have this to say about Trump to religious conservatives: “This is somebody who shares our views, shares our values, shares our beliefs.”

As we saw in Wednesday night’s debate, Pence is not just the great enabler of Trump’s awfulness, but the man who puts a godly sheen on it. In that sense, he’s more dangerous, and arguably more evil, than Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/09/opinion/mike-pence-debate.html

22 replies, 3418 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply What Makes Mike Pence's Complicity So Chilling (Original post)
Zorro Oct 9 OP
BootinUp Oct 9 #1
jaxexpat Oct 9 #2
Girard442 Oct 9 #3
Aussie105 Oct 9 #18
LuvNewcastle Oct 9 #19
central scrutinizer Oct 10 #21
Enterstageleft Oct 9 #4
StClone Oct 9 #6
Enterstageleft Oct 9 #7
StClone Oct 9 #8
42bambi Oct 9 #10
Enterstageleft Oct 9 #11
Martin Eden Oct 9 #5
Hamlette Oct 9 #9
dchill Oct 9 #12
diane in sf Oct 9 #13
sprinkleeninow Oct 9 #14
My Pet Orangutan Oct 9 #15
panfluteman Oct 9 #16
Aussie105 Oct 9 #17
Blue Owl Oct 9 #20
alterfurz Oct 10 #22

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 08:24 PM

1. religion, for too many, is something else entirely. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 08:25 PM

2. Pence is a very low sort of semi-sentiment creature.

He has used the god card to play out his fantasy power trip for years. Used it in so cynical a fashion that he even believes his own lies.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 08:46 PM

3. Took me until the age of Trump to finally get it -- most people are atheists.

If they really believed in a Supreme Being, they'd be acting totally differently than they are now.

Reply to this post

Response to Girard442 (Reply #3)

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 11:11 PM

18. People who genuinely believe in some sort of Superior life force

tend to keep quiet about it.

Those who shout it from the rooftops, or wear it as some sort of badge of Authority, are the ones that you need to watch out for.

Reply to this post

Response to Girard442 (Reply #3)

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 11:23 PM

19. I agree.

I think the best way to describe them is 'superstitious atheists.' Regular atheists usually have some sort of ethical code, but those who pretend to follow a religion don't really believe in anything at all. They just have some empty rituals that they use to make them feel better in the same way an obsessive-compulsive will perform a task a certain number of times to calm himself.

Reply to this post

Response to LuvNewcastle (Reply #19)

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 10:03 AM

21. Atheists do the right thing

Because it’s the right thing to do. Not from fear of some vengeful sky wizard who needs adoration.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 08:54 PM

4. Religion is a crutch

the weak minded use when presented with facts & science.

I was 14 when I figured this out, growing up in Utah.

When they have no logical argument to counter yours, they fall back to their "holy books & manuscripts.

I gave up on "organized" religion at that point in my life. Since then I better understand the teachings of peaceful ideals, but I still won't join.

Reply to this post

Response to Enterstageleft (Reply #4)

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 09:26 PM

6. Shield and Sword

Hypocrites like Pence will smite thee with the swift sword of Religiosity. And if you say anything regarding their religion they can turn that into an attack on Religion with their glorious shield of Righteous indignation:"The Left hates Religions." No! As the saying goes, "This is my country not your church!"

Reply to this post

Response to StClone (Reply #6)

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 09:27 PM

7. Can I get a am...... brother, oh yeah, never mind!

Reply to this post

Response to Enterstageleft (Reply #7)

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 09:29 PM

8. Amen

Reply to this post

Response to Enterstageleft (Reply #4)

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 10:05 PM

10. A friend of mine had cancer and beat it ... she was always

thanking God for healing her. I asked her while she was thanking God did she thank science as well. She asked me why would I ask her such a thing. I told her that her Doctor studied science for 8 years to become a Doctor - so he could save people like you. She surprised me by say - I never thought about it that way. I wanted to say, yeah, I didn't think so, but I kept my mouth shut for once!

Reply to this post

Response to 42bambi (Reply #10)

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 10:10 PM

11. You're a better person than I am

I'm not sure I would have been as compassionate...hope I would have been...don't know.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 09:06 PM

5. Mike Pence is a sanctimonious hypocrite

Ten years ago Mike Pence gave a speech for the Federalist Society in a not so veiled criticism of President Obama. In the speech Pence extolled the virtues of character which are so critically important in a president:

The presidency's "powers are vast and consequential, its requirements -- from the outset and by definition -- impossible for mortals to fulfill without humility and insistent attention to its purposes as set forth in the Constitution of the United States," declared Pence, his gaze steely and his jaw firmly set. Of power, he said, "Those who are entrusted with it must educate themselves in self-restraint."

"A true statesman lives in what Churchill called a continuous 'stress of soul,'" Pence informed his audience. "And that's why you must always be wary of a president who seems to float upon his own greatness."

Pence told a story to illustrate the humanity and humility of Calvin Coolidge. "A sensibility like this -- and not power -- is the source of presidential dignity, and it must be restored," he said. "It depends entirely upon character, self-discipline and an understanding of the fundamental principles that underlie not only the republic but life itself.

"It communicates that the president feels the gravity of his office and is willing to sacrifice himself, that his eye is not upon his own prospects but upon the storm of history, through which it is his responsibility to navigate with the specific powers accorded to him and the limitations placed upon them not merely by man but by God."

link to Steve Chapman's commentary

The rest, of course, his history. Mike Pence went on to be the chief sycophant and boot licker of a POtuS who is the absolute antithesis of every virtue he so sanctimoniously cited.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 10:03 PM

9. I've been saying this for some time

part of me believes at this point, Trump can't help himself. It's baked in. But Pence allegedly has free will. Or Karen. Disgusts me that the two of those sanctimonious creeps live in public own property.

I was raised an atheist in Mormon Utah. I have been around those people all my life. And I hate them.

Reply to this post

Response to Hamlette (Reply #9)

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 10:21 PM

12. With Trump, it's baked in. With Pence, it's baked out.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 10:26 PM

13. Pence is an obvious sociopath. Anyone who lies that easily and continuously is.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 10:27 PM

14. Some truths from the Orthodox Faith regarding vainglory:

The vainglorious man is an idolator, although he is called a believer.

Prelest, also known as: spiritual delusion, spiritual deception, delusion, illusion, – according to Holy Fathers of Orthodox Church, a false spiritual state, a spiritual illness, "a wounding of human nature by falsehood".

"Pride, vanity, self-esteem. Lacking a spirit/virtue of humility."

"The spirit of kenodoxia, which we may term vain or idle glory."

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 10:31 PM

15. Pence is no hypocrite. Trump does share his views, beliefs and values.

He is a hardcore racist, misogynist, and grifter. That puppy love look he gets when Trump is spewing out hatred is 100% real.

SBC Christianity is a SIGNIFIER of this patriarchal white supremacist tribe. That is what matters - not their shape-shifting beliefs.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 10:57 PM

16. Didn't Mike Pence Battle on Behalf of the Tobacco Companies?

That tells you all you need to know about his so-called "Christian values".

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 11:06 PM

17. a small black box!

Don't bother looking for it, because you would just find it is empty.

Pence has no moral compass, no personality of his own but tries to cover that up by invoking the Evangelical approach to life, and of course, 'Biblical Values'.
(And you aren't going to challenge those, right?)

On top of that multilayered pretend persona, it was easy for Pence to glue on Trump's values as another, external layer.

Pence sees no contradiction, no internal conflict. He happily regurgitates Trump's talking points. And think at the same time what a wonderful job of deception he is doing.

The dead eyes say it all.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 9, 2020, 11:26 PM

20. A godly sheen...

Perfect description!

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 10, 2020, 01:15 PM

22. "Whenever Pence talks, he sounds like a serial killer...

...calmly explaining why he has to do this to you". -- Jess Dweck

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread