HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » James Murdoch says he qui...

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 03:49 AM

James Murdoch says he quit father's news empire because it legitimises 'disinformation'

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/james-murdoch-news-corp-fox-news-disinformation-rupert-nyt-interview-b944316.html

James Murdoch quit the board of News Corp because of disagreements over how decisions were made, arguing that great news organisations should “not sow doubt, to obscure fact”.

In an interview with the New York Times, Mr Murdoch expanded on the statement he gave when he left his father Rupert Murdoch’s company earlier this year, expressing his discomfort with the toxicity of Fox News and other media outlets owned by the company.

In July he said he was leaving “due to disagreements over certain editorial content published by the Company’s news outlets and certain other strategic decisions”.

Mr Murdoch said: “I reached the conclusion that you can venerate a contest of ideas, if you will, and we all do, and that’s important. But it shouldn’t be in a way that hides agendas.

“A contest of ideas shouldn’t be used to legitimise disinformation. And I think it’s often taken advantage of. And I think at great news organisations, the mission really should be to introduce fact to disperse doubt — not to sow doubt, to obscure fact, if you will.”

8 replies, 1908 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply James Murdoch says he quit father's news empire because it legitimises 'disinformation' (Original post)
ItsjustMe Oct 2020 OP
agingdem Oct 2020 #1
Le Roi de Pot Oct 2020 #2
mdbl Oct 2020 #3
KPN Oct 2020 #4
KPN Oct 2020 #5
mdbl Oct 2020 #6
KPN Oct 2020 #8
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Oct 2020 #7

Response to ItsjustMe (Original post)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:11 AM

1. so after 4 years of perpetuating Trump's poison

Last edited Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:17 AM - Edit history (1)

James Murdoch grew a conscience?...He legitimized a venal sociopath, a sexual predator and offered him up as a viable candidate and then gave him a powerful "bully pulpit" to spew his venomous lies and hate ...but now when this morally corrupt monster he created, aided, and abetted is about to go down and go down hard, Murdoch switched sides...facts are good, lies...not so much..

Well, James, welcome to the right side of history but you can take your mea culpas and go fuck yourself

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to agingdem (Reply #1)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:16 AM

2. How do you know if did not try fighting .. Before giving up?

But sadly for him.. There are tons of 'news' manufacturers who be too happy to fill the vacuum if Fox decided to act responsibly.

Reply to this post

Response to Le Roi de Pot (Reply #2)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 05:29 AM

3. His daddy started Fox for explicit purpose of spreading right wing propaganda

He said this from the beginning. It's ironic that they have so many viewers who to believe the BS that spews from that network and it's off-shoots. Jounralists in general are not lefties, they are commissioned to find the truth. Fox makes sure this doesn't happen unless it suits the repuglican agenda.

Reply to this post

Response to mdbl (Reply #3)

Response to mdbl (Reply #3)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:09 AM

5. Murdoch openly stated this from the beginning? Source?

Reply to this post

Response to KPN (Reply #5)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 04:38 PM

6. I don't need a source, I heard him say it

he said he started a network to tell things from the right (wing) point of view.

also from Wikipedia:
The Fox News Channel (FNC) is an American basic cable and satellite news television channel that was founded by media mogul Rupert Murdoch in 1996. In 2001 Roger Ailes appointed himself as permanent CEO of this news operation that was created as a Republican-centered alternative to CNN.In January 2002, the ratings of the channel surpassed top-rated CNN to become the #1 news cable channel.

CNN was not started as a "Democratic Centered" network but Fox News was started to spread repuglican BS, and they do it well.

Reply to this post

Response to mdbl (Reply #6)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 08:12 PM

8. Thx. My bad ... I misread your post to mean he

openly stated his purpose was to spread disinformation. Yeah, he’s been clear from the get go of his purpose — to spread right wing perspective on all things news — which definitely means “propaganda“. The RW perspective is really hard to defend when using facts.

Reply to this post

Response to ItsjustMe (Original post)

Sun Oct 11, 2020, 06:41 PM

7. K&R

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread