HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » There are seven coronavir...

Thu Oct 15, 2020, 11:36 AM

There are seven coronavirus vaccine candidates being tested in the U.S. -- here's where they stand

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/there-are-seven-coronavirus-vaccine-candidates-being-tested-in-the-us-heres-where-they-stand-2020-09-08

There are seven coronavirus vaccine candidates being tested in the U.S. — here’s where they stand

Published: Oct. 14, 2020 at 8:38 a.m. ET
By Jaimy Lee

At least four of the still investigational vaccines have moved into Phase 3 clinical trials
…snip
The race to develop a safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine is well under way, setting the stage to bring to market the fastest vaccine in history.
There are dozens of coronavirus vaccines in development, primarily in the preclinical phase when they are tested on animals. In the U.S., there are seven vaccine candidates that have moved into clinical trials with human participants, including four that have moved into the crucial Phase 3 development phase.
…snip
The first and second phases of clinical studies are primarily conducted to test for safety, while the third and final stage is used to determine whether vaccines are efficacious and can prevent infection among participants. At that point, the vaccine makers will decide when to pursue an emergency-use authorization from the Food and Drug Administration and/or a full approval. The majority of the vaccines in development have received funding from the U.S. government, either to help support clinical development or pay for manufacturing and distribution of the vaccines as part of the Trump administration’s “Operation Warp Speed” program.
…snip
Vaccines in Phase 3 trials in the U.S. (cited in alphabetical order, by company name):
• AstraZeneca in partnership with the University of Oxford
• BioNTech and Pfizer Inc.
• Johnson & Johnson US:JNJ
• Moderna Inc.
• Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc.
• Novavax Inc.
• Sanofi in combination with GlaxoSmithKline

8 replies, 505 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply There are seven coronavirus vaccine candidates being tested in the U.S. -- here's where they stand (Original post)
saidsimplesimon Oct 15 OP
Gothmog Oct 15 #1
saidsimplesimon Oct 15 #2
Gothmog Oct 15 #3
DesertRat Oct 16 #7
bucolic_frolic Oct 15 #4
saidsimplesimon Oct 15 #5
appalachiablue Oct 15 #6
LisaL Oct 16 #8

Response to saidsimplesimon (Original post)

Thu Oct 15, 2020, 12:32 PM

1. My son is in the Pfzier trial

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Gothmog (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 15, 2020, 12:35 PM

2. Let us know how he is doing.

Many thanks to him and all the other volunteers in all the trials.

Reply to this post

Response to saidsimplesimon (Reply #2)

Thu Oct 15, 2020, 02:50 PM

3. He is fine

He thinks he got the real vaccine because hir arm hurt and he has a slight fever after the first shot My son is a partner in a big law firm and is working from home and is careful about meeting people in person

Reply to this post

Response to Gothmog (Reply #1)

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 11:35 AM

7. Many thanks to your son!

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 15, 2020, 03:22 PM

4. I talked to someone who said a relative was in one of the trials, don't know which one

and she said they were told that trial wouldn't be completed until mid 2021, 9 months from now.

Then you give them another 3 months just to start producing batches of vaccine. We're in for a long wait.

Reply to this post

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #4)

Thu Oct 15, 2020, 06:08 PM

5. My favourite cousin isn't speaking to me.

He is an educated rumpublican. When I last spoke with him, he said there would be a vaccine before the election. He had received a forwarded email or tweet from a rump family member. When I challenged him he hung up and hasn't called me since.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 15, 2020, 09:15 PM

6. Thanks for the info. we need to keep on top of developments.

Be aware of grinch commenters that say, 'none have proven effective, talking about vaccines is wishful thinking, we don't know that there will ever be a vaccine.'

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 16, 2020, 12:12 PM

8. AstraZeneca's phase 3 trial is still on pause in the US.

Johnson & Johnson trial is also on pause.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread