HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » These are the abortion ca...

Thu Oct 15, 2020, 05:50 PM

These are the abortion cases Amy Coney Barrett might hear on the Supreme Court

BY KATE SMITH

OCTOBER 15, 2020 / 2:55 PM / CBS NEWS

On the campaign trail in 2016, then-candidate Donald Trump promised that if elected, Roe v. Wade would be "automatically" overturned because only "pro-life" justices would make his shortlist for the Supreme Court. Four years and three nominations later, fulfilling that pledge to reverse Roe and reduce access to abortion could be closer than ever.

As confirmation hearings were held this week for Judge Amy Coney Barrett, Mr. Trump's third conservative nominee to the Supreme Court, two abortion-related cases have reached the Supreme Court and are awaiting the court's decision on whether to hear them. If the Supreme Court declines to hear those, another 17 are just one step away.

"Some are test cases to overturn Roe v. Wade or to render it meaningless by upholding laws that make abortion impossible to access. In the strategy to end abortion access in the U.S., courts are the linchpin," said Nancy Northup, the president and chief executive officer of the Center for Reproductive Rights, in an email to CBS News. Northup's organization, which is involved in a bulk of the abortion-related cases headed towards the Supreme Court, has publicly opposed Judge Barrett's nomination to the Supreme Court, a position the group hasn't taken since Judge Robert Bork's failed nomination to the high court in 1992.

The Supreme Court has yet to announce whether it will hear arguments for the two abortion-related cases that have reached the high court. One of those is Mississippi's 15-week abortion ban, a case that challenges the core holding of Roe v. Wade, which nationally legalized the procedure up until fetal viability, which usually happens at about 24 weeks into a pregnancy.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme-court-abortion-cases-review-amy-coney-barrett/

2 replies, 391 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply These are the abortion cases Amy Coney Barrett might hear on the Supreme Court (Original post)
BeckyDem Oct 15 OP
sfstaxprep Oct 15 #1
BeckyDem Oct 15 #2

Response to BeckyDem (Original post)

Thu Oct 15, 2020, 06:06 PM

1. It's Only A Matter Of Time

Roe will be overturned, now that they have full control of the court for perhaps the next decade.

Unfortunately I think Biden will do what Democrats always do....take the high road.....meaning he won't increase the size of Supreme Court. I'm very pessimistic about that happening.

My heart breaks for the future of this country.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sfstaxprep (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 15, 2020, 06:14 PM

2. I believe we will see a different Biden. He will otherwise be cut off at the knees regarding

legislation that can withstand the conservative scrutiny. They believe corporations are people, an irrational concept but not beyond the scope of sociopaths.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread