HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » 'We Are Having A Mass Del...

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 04:00 PM

'We Are Having A Mass Delusional Break In This Country And No One Will Admit It': GOP Cult of Death

- Look at the people: no masks; no social distancing; no belief in science. How many will be too sick to vote Nov. 3 ?

- 'We are having a mass delusional break in this country and no one will admit it.'- Daily Kos, Oct. 17, 2020.

We have a massive delusional event going on in our country and no one is calling it what it is. A cult of Death has overtaken the Republican party from Trump, to Senators, to Congressmen/women to the regular citizens, all of whom are in the cult. I think itís a serious mental health issue and we need to address it.

I am new to the mental health field after teaching another subject for more than 25 years. My reading and studies on narcissistic personality disorder explain Trump perfectly: his refusing to accept the results of the election or his new tune, that he doesnít even want to try very hard anymore. Both are meant to alleviate his feelings of shame when he loses. Narcissistsí biggest fear is shame. So he is acting in accordance with his mental health disorder. It makes sense.

But the behavior of his cult is stunning to me. I donít have enough experience and knowledge to understand how this all occurred, but I do think we MUST start talking about how we will address it, because even if he loses, they will still be here, living in a separate reality than those of us in the real world. They will not be going away. They are absolutely a cult and believe everything that he tells them. We have a mass delusion event going on that more experienced people in the mental health field need to start talking about.

Here are some of their delusions:

1. That COVID is not dangerous and that getting it is like getting a cold. They really and truly believe this, and are acting accordingly. Numbers are skyrocketing, health professionals are screaming about it, and they just donít believe it. Herman Cainís death was never talked about by Trump so they will keep believing itís ďjust a cold.Ē Any word from Trump on Chris Christie?? Nope. Same reason. This is now a death cult and we arenít discussing it...

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/10/17/1987328/-We-are-having-a-mass-delusional-break-in-this-country-and-no-one-will-admit-it

- Herd Mentality: Herd mentality, mob mentality and pack mentality, also lesser known as gang mentality, describes how people can be influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors on a largely emotional, rather than rational, basis. When individuals are affected by mob mentality, they may make different decisions than they would have individually.

Social psychologists study the related topics of group intelligence, crowd wisdom, groupthink, deindividuation, and decentralized decision making... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_mentality

9 replies, 1002 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'We Are Having A Mass Delusional Break In This Country And No One Will Admit It': GOP Cult of Death (Original post)
appalachiablue Oct 17 OP
Srkdqltr Oct 17 #1
Skittles Oct 17 #2
CrispyQ Oct 17 #3
appalachiablue Oct 17 #4
Eyeball_Kid Oct 17 #7
appalachiablue Oct 17 #9
Cicada Oct 17 #5
Eyeball_Kid Oct 17 #6
appalachiablue Oct 17 #8

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 04:06 PM

1. Be interesting

Would be interesting to trace some of these people see how many get the virus.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 04:07 PM

2. um, it has been a delusional break since that buffoon started running for president

this is just the end result of that insanity

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 04:10 PM

3. The fact that Q-anon candidates are running for & winning seats in Congress is alarming. -nt

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #3)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 04:12 PM

4. I just read that 26 Q's are running for office, maddening. This country

is in real trouble, mass psychosis, aka herd mentality.

Reply to this post

Response to appalachiablue (Reply #4)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 04:55 PM

7. Trump will likely be defeated. When he is defeated,

the Qanon nonsense will fade, as will the chaos that now rules the nation. It is only on the rise because of Trump's position in society. When he loses, he'll also lose a big chunk of his base. Having national leaders who will not tolerate or encourage this crazy thinking will go a long way toward giving rise to rational and reasonable problem solving. Trump is crazy and charismatic. But he can't command power as a private person beset with a mountain of debt, lawsuits, indictments, and trials. We'll be able to watch it all.

Reply to this post

Response to Eyeball_Kid (Reply #7)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 04:57 PM

9. I can't wait for his demise & the road to recovery for the US.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 04:12 PM

5. I want data on covid by party in a single geographic region

In sparsely populated areas there is less interaction than in a city so we canít Just compare red states with blue states. But in a smaller more uniforms region I bet more republicans get sick.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 04:48 PM

6. When Trumpy-Boy gets defeated and he loses power,

he'll also lose the power to persuade millions. Right now, he's got the attention of the nation every waking hour of every day, and he's taken full advantage of it. When he's an ex-president overtaken by his mountain of legal and financial problems, he won't have the command of the airwaves. And he only exists right now because he can command a camera to focus on him at any time, day or night. All of that will diminish when he loses, as the media won't care anymore. And when they don't care, he'll have far less air time and his viewers will gradually lose interest. Right now, they see him as the leader of a movement, and the fact that he's president commands a lot of deference to his every utterance. All of that will change, and soon. After he's out of power, his supporters will no longer view him as a god or a messenger from God. That only holds credibility when he's at the top of the authority heap. When he's out of power, folks will ask themselves whether he's a political or evangelical leader. They'll lose their focus, their Trump-fueled "mission."

The mass delusion is largely fueled by the gravitas of the position he currently holds. Without that authoritarian-like frame, his charisma and his power will diminish. And what will overshadow Trump's frantic hold on power is the Biden Administration's focus on COVID, the economy, the return of competency within the executive branch, the rebuilding of foreign policy, and a return to the US' dominance on the world stage. There are simply too many urgent issues to address, and Trumpy-Boy will get drowned out by all of the solutions to problems that HE CREATED.

So cheer up. We have to get past the election and all of Trumpy-Boy's cheap tricks before he's finally ousted from office. Then the serious work begins. I didn't know that there was such a psychological term as "delusional break," but I didn't come across all of the psychological terms in my five years of graduate training, and about 50 years of counseling and social service experience. I think what you mean is something called mass psychosis, a phenomenon that does exist, but only rarely, in the course of human endeavors.

In this instance, Trump was the instrument that plays the song. The song itself was lying in wait for the first willing "leader" to sing. So there was a large minority of the population ready to accept a break from reality because they had become disillusioned about their own chances for success and perhaps their own upward mobility. None of their dreams were coming true, so they were ripe for the mass psychosis that will wax and wane as the mood of the nation changes. They couldn't accumulate purchasing power, they were subjected to massive education debt, they were NOT getting raises commensurate with experience, their ability to become employed for their trade skills or their higher education was disappearing, and they found that their apartment rent was just as high as mortgage payments, except that they can't qualify for a home loan. So their willingness to believe in the confidence game of a master huckster seemed less problematic for them than most other times in the recent past. If Trump weren't ready and able to con all of them, they'd manufacture someone else who would do.

Reply to this post

Response to Eyeball_Kid (Reply #6)

Sat Oct 17, 2020, 04:56 PM

8. Mass psychosis, what I wrote in #4. Can't wait until he's gone,

these people will deflate. Unless another demagogue comes along, heaven forbid.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread