HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » If Trump loses, he'll tak...

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 09:25 AM

If Trump loses, he'll take this deal

When/if trump loses, he will cut a deal to avoid prison https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/20/opinions/if-trump-loses-lockhart/index.html

President Trump has repeatedly refused to commit to leave office peacefully if he loses the election. Instead he rails about voter fraud and a rigged election. His untruths and obstinacy are by now an old story, but they remain both dangerous to our democracy and maybe to our lives if the President continues on this path.

Many law enforcement and homeland security experts have raised the alarm about possible violence after a contested election. Nothing in the President's words or behavior suggests that he will be a calming force or will leave the White House without a fight, either in the courthouse or the streets. We all know, after four years of this, that it's a pretty good bet he will make a bad situation worse.

I share many of these worries. But I'm not expecting the worst. Not because Trump will have an attack of conscience -- I don't think he has a conscience. And not because he will put the country ahead of his own personal interests -- that fantasy is no longer even debatable.....

Here's where the survival instinct will kick in. What can Trump give prosecutors, creditors and potential investors to allow him to live his life freely and build the kind of media empire he so craves?

What he can give them is -- wait for it -- a peaceful transition of power. Freedom for peace.

To avoid violence in the streets, prosecutors of all stripes may decide it is in their -- and the country's -- interest to cut a deal. Trump may agree to go quietly to save his own skin. There is the basis of the win-win.

25 replies, 1666 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 25 replies Author Time Post
Reply If Trump loses, he'll take this deal (Original post)
Gothmog Oct 21 OP
Gothmog Oct 21 #1
TwilightZone Oct 21 #2
Gothmog Oct 21 #7
TwilightZone Oct 21 #11
C_U_L8R Oct 21 #3
Harker Oct 21 #4
The Magistrate Oct 21 #5
Ninga Oct 21 #13
dalton99a Oct 21 #21
Atticus Oct 21 #24
NCDem47 Oct 21 #6
George II Oct 21 #8
GeorgeGist Oct 21 #9
RussBLib Oct 21 #18
Ferrets are Cool Oct 21 #10
jmowreader Oct 21 #12
Thekaspervote Oct 21 #14
Gothmog Oct 21 #16
samnsara Oct 21 #15
RussBLib Oct 21 #17
KPN Oct 21 #19
IfThenElse Oct 21 #20
Atreus Oct 21 #22
reggieandlee Oct 21 #23
Nitram Oct 21 #25

Response to Gothmog (Original post)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 09:26 AM

1. James Carville agrees with this theory

I do not believe that trump really believe that he can truly contest the election results if the current polling results are accurate. If the current polls are accurate, Biden will win by a landslide and there will be no legitimate way to contest the election result. Floriuda will have accurate election results out on election night that will be good except for some miliary ballots. If trump loses Florida, then any election contest will be doomed to fail. However trump's threats could give him leverage to negotiate a plea deal with Governor Cuomo, AG James or DA Cyrus Vance where trump would agree to a peaceful transfer of power in exchange for no prison time for NY state tax charges.

I believe that trump will either pardon himself or will resign and have Pence pardon him for all federal crimes. trump may pardon his family members and some loyal idiots like Barr. The pardon will get rid of federal crimes and so trump needs to worry about state crimes and hsi biggest risk is NY state. I believe that trump will cur a deal with NY for a peaceful transfer of power in exchange for no prison time for turmp and perhaps members of his family

Carville agrees with my theory

This would be in effect a plea deal and not a pardon

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Gothmog (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 09:29 AM

2. He isn't eligible.

Besides, I don't think Cuomo would give him a pardon in a million years, certainly not in response to toddler tantrum threats.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightZone (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 09:50 AM

7. The person cutting the deal would be AG James and DA Cyrus Vance

Cuomo may be consulted but this is not an exercise of pardon power but a plea deal that does not need the consent of the governor District Attorneys cut plea deals that are binding all of the time

Reply to this post

Response to Gothmog (Reply #7)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 10:00 AM

11. Eh, I just don't see it happening.

What does Trump have to offer in exchange? Not throwing a tantrum when he loses?

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 09:30 AM

3. That's not a deal. It's fantasy.

He barely controls the mob he's lathered and when he loses, they lose too. No deal. And if they can't deal with that responsibly, then they can face the consequences. Trump included.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 09:37 AM

4. I doubt that his adoring thugs are sufficiently

dedicated, powerful, and well enough organized to give Trumpsky leverage of that sort.

He sees a dedicated, goose-stepping throng. I see sad, dangerous individuals whose violent fantasies will go to ground.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 09:46 AM

5. Make Any Deal That Suits The Moment, Sir

And once he's off the premises, arrest the sorry sonuvabitch.

"At times, doing Justice requires a measure of injustice."

Reply to this post

Response to The Magistrate (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 10:18 AM

13. Ah "what's good for the goose" strategy! Tell him anything and then say " whoops my bad"

as he is being handcuffed. I kinda like it, sir.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 12:41 PM

21. +1. "Please don't be too nice"

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 02:52 PM

24. Can I PLEASE be the "Bad Cop"? nt

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 09:49 AM

6. The U.S. doesn't negotiate with terrorists

No. We donít let him off just so we donít have to endure his manic ramblings and empty threats.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 09:52 AM

8. I want the State of New York to seize trump tower and convert it into either a homeless shelter....

....or low income housing.

trump has cheated on his zoning deals with the city since it was first built, and he's allowed the public spaces to get run down and infested.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 09:56 AM

9. They could always lie...

And tell him to fuckoff afterwards.

Reply to this post

Response to GeorgeGist (Reply #9)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 12:01 PM

18. Trump would deserve that nt

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 09:59 AM

10. I would actually pay good money to see him forcefully removed from the WH by the military

while he screams "Nobody wants me. Nobody likes me. I'm the best President EVER!!"

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 10:08 AM

12. You're essentially describing blackmail

"I will have my followers start a civil war unless you agree not to prosecute me for my crimes."

There are several problems with that position, not the least of which is that very few of his followers will do it. Most of the people who love Trump are, in the main, law abiding. They have jobs, homes, families and possessions they would lose if they decided to stir up some shit and get arrested. The police are NOT going to stand by and watch a civil war unfold.

If Trump walks into a meeting with the transition committee and suggests a "freedom for peace" plan, he will leave the meeting in handcuffs.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 10:48 AM

14. I agree with you Gothmog. Sad as it may be.

I believe there is an upside

1 he will never be able to build anything or be successful again. Business ppl and bankers will run The other direction. Heís broke and headed to bankruptcy. That right there is worth knowing that heís penniless and groveling

2 a media empire? I suppose, but against fux snooz, they will bury him

3 his followers will see him as weak, at least many of them and they will scatter looking for a new idiot king and for now ending some if not most of the violence.

4 most importantly, heís GOT to be silenced about the incoming administration. He could continue his bs interviews with fux undercutting Biden at every turn. We simply canít have that

Reply to this post

Response to Thekaspervote (Reply #14)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 11:39 AM

16. To cut a deal, each side must be willing to bargin and give up something

I would love to see trump bankrupted and in NY state prison but it would be nice to have a peaceful transfer of power

I do worry about the precedent of jailing defeated candidates. trump may deserve this but the US has not done this in he past

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 10:48 AM

15. thats what hes counting on and that why hes acting so crazy..and i say HELL NO!!!

...make that bastard pay for every damned thing he did to US and to America! We need to make an example of him otherwise the repugs will just do this shit all over again...

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 12:00 PM

17. Too many crimes

Too much abuse of the system to let him walk free.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 12:08 PM

19. Deal or No Deal? NO DEAL!

The worst possible thing we could do is let him and all his goons off the legal hook for all of their crimes against democracy. Do you want to see this happen again within the next 30 years? Give him that deal. Do you want to reinforce our democracy? Seek accountability.

Not to mention ó this isnít a deal, itís hostage taking, itís terrorism. Or as someone said upthread, itís blackmail. Letís not embolden future terrorists (tRump knock-offs) by dealing with this one. Face and deal with the problem, donít sweep it under the rug by negotiating a deal. Geesh!

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 12:27 PM

20. Nope!

That would be negotiating with terrorists.
He must be held to account for all crimes. PERIOD.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 02:39 PM

22. A billion times, NO!

An example must be made of it and every last one of its enablers! So much so, that no one will EVER think about attempting what that piece of garbage has done us!

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 02:44 PM

23. Did you read this article?

posted last week by "Born To Run The Numbers"
A bit more nuanced deal that would not allow Trump or his family to ever get into politics or media again...

http://www.borntorunthenumbers.com/2020/10/btrtn-ten-days-in-november-would-you.html

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 08:44 PM

25. I believe that's called extortion. We don't negotiate with terrorists.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread