HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Women Aged 50- 60 At Grea...

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 03:15 PM

Women Aged 50- 60 At Greatest Risk of 'Long Covid,' UK Study Suggests

'Women aged 50-60 at greatest risk of ‘long Covid’, experts suggest.' Study links age and number of symptoms to lasting health problems from coronavirus. The Guardian, Oct. 21, 2020.

Women aged 50-60 are at greatest risk of developing “long Covid”, analysis suggests. Older age and experiencing five or more symptoms within the first week of illness were also associated with a heightened risk of lasting health problems. The study, led by Dr Claire Steves and Prof Tim Spector at King’s College London, analysed data from 4,182 COVID Symptom Study app users who had been consistently logging their health and had tested positive for the virus.

In general, women were twice as likely to suffer from Covid symptoms that lasted longer than a month, compared with men – but only until around the age of 60, when their risk level became more similar. Increasing age was also associated with a heightened risk of long Covid, with about 22% of people aged over 70 suffering for four weeks or more, compared with 10% of people aged between 18 and 49. For women in the 50-60 age bracket, these two risk factors appeared to combine: They were eight times more likely to experience lasting symptoms of Covid-19 compared with 18- to 30-year-olds.

- Vicky Bourne still has some symptoms in October having first become ill in March.

However, the greatest difference between men and women was seen among those aged between 40 and 50, where women’s risk of developing long Covid was double that of men’s.

“This is a similar pattern to what you see in autoimmune diseases,” said Spector. “Things like rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid disease and lupus are two to three times more common in women until just before menopause, and then it becomes more similar.” His guess is that gender differences in the way the immune system responds to coronavirus may account for this difference. The study, which was published as a preprint and has not yet been peer reviewed, also found that experiencing five or more symptoms during the first week of developing Covid-19 was associated with a heightened risk of lasting health problems.

Here too, differences in the immune response may be involved: “There’s certainly a group of long Covid sufferers that have this multi-system immune–like disease, where they get gastrointestinal problems, skin rashes, nerve problems and brain fog – so the whole body is involved rather than just one bit,” said Spector. Probably, the immune system is working differently in such people, which may manifest as symptoms in multiple body systems being experienced from week one...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/21/women-aged-50-60-at-greatest-risk-of-long-covid-experts-suggest

BBC News, https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54622059

8 replies, 820 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Women Aged 50- 60 At Greatest Risk of 'Long Covid,' UK Study Suggests (Original post)
appalachiablue Oct 2020 OP
tanyev Oct 2020 #1
LizBeth Oct 2020 #2
tanyev Oct 2020 #3
LizBeth Oct 2020 #4
at140 Oct 2020 #5
appalachiablue Oct 2020 #6
lostnfound Oct 2020 #7
at140 Oct 2020 #8

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 03:25 PM

1. Well, crap.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to tanyev (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 03:35 PM

2. Right? 59 and almost thru the unemployment and can't find a job unless service job smack in the

middle of our spike walking into winter, lol. Oh, and I do not have O blood, AB-.

Reply to this post

Response to LizBeth (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 03:42 PM

3. I do have O blood, but am on medication for high blood pressure.

And hubby has Type 1 diabetes so we are being super careful. Even so, plenty of super careful people have ended up getting it anyway. Good lord this year sucks.

Reply to this post

Response to tanyev (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 03:49 PM

4. +1

Reply to this post

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 03:50 PM

5. What I am doing to avoid covid-19 at age 80

Went on Carnival Ecstasy cruise ending on Feb 29th this year. My wife and I were not aware of how fast this virus was spreading. When cruise ended, I had this strange dry cough for 2 weeks. No other symptoms. My wife is a stage-4 cancer fighter for 2.5 years now, and she felt tired and sluggish after the cruise. So we attributed her tiredness to cancer & chemo which has horrible side effects.

Post-cruise, we limited all unnecessary gatherings, no getting together with friends, no indoor restaurants, no movie theaters, no shopping at malls. We have not even asked our daughters to visit.
This is a terrible way to live, but must be endured until the virus is under control.

We order food on-line at Walmart, they bag it and I drive there between 7 and 8 am, park car in designated pick-up area, open my car's trunk and wait. They load my trunk and shut it and I drive off, never coming in close proximity of anyone. At home we clean outside of all containers with anti-bacterial stuff.

However certain items Aldi has which are not available at Walmart or are much cheaper at Aldi, so I make a quick visit there once a week wearing a mask.

Every 3 weeks I drive my wife to cancer clinic. Before August, I used to go in to sit in with the cancer doctor with my wife. Now the clinic does not allow any non-patients to enter the facility. We have disciplined ourselves to NEVER TOUCH FACE with unwashed hands. Even in February on the cruise, that habit may have saved us from getting seriously infected.

Reply to this post

Response to at140 (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 04:26 PM

6. Keep vigilant, and all the best, thanks...

We order in food about 2-3 times a month from a local restaurant we like a lot. Delivery drivers are always prepped and nice except this week when a new driver, very pleasant man arrived wearing no mask or gloves.

Not good at all, and we'll have to call to see what's going on.

Reply to this post

Response to at140 (Reply #5)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 06:00 PM

7. Weird. I've had a "strange dry cough" for 17 days

I tested negative on the 5th day and do not seem to have spread it to one close contact. Not really any other symptoms.

But now I’m wondering.

Reply to this post

Response to lostnfound (Reply #7)

Wed Oct 21, 2020, 08:32 PM

8. The ship was crowded and almost all crew was SE Asian

So looking back I have to think both me and my wife received a milder form of infection.
I can't remember a dry cough ever before, it is usually a productive mucous cough.
Of course on February 29th covid-19 was not the big news so we thought nothing of it.
My theory is if you get a very small dose of virus cells, your body may be able to fight it off.
Something similar to the vaccine effect. So both of us did not come down with severe symptoms.
We never were tested so will never know for sure.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread