HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » How Democrats Are Celebra...

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 02:44 PM

How Democrats Are Celebrating Biden's Polling Lead: With Abject Dread

No one is happy in this strange and awful time. But there is a particular circle of unhappiness reserved for people still reeling from unexpected loss in 2016.

For many Democrats, election night in 2016 unfolded with the sickening trajectory of a horror movie in which the teenage protagonists break out the beer and party on, unaware that the serial killer they thought they had vanquished is looming outside the window.

The watch parties, the pantsuits, the balloons, the blue-tinted cocktails, the giddiness, the sense of history, the electoral projections showing that Hillary Clinton would surely defeat Donald J. Trump — to Democrats, these now look like quaint snapshots from some credulous prelapsarian world. And now, with the next presidential election approaching and Joseph R. Biden Jr. well ahead of President Trump in the polls, the traumatized, anxious Democratic voters of 2020 are not making the same mistake again.

“I’m assuming in my mind that Trump wins, because I can’t deal with being let down like that again,” said Helen Rosenthal, a Democrat who represents the Upper West Side on the New York City Council. “Secretly, in a little corner in the back of my mind, I’m wishing and hoping that Biden wins. But most of my brain is saying, ‘OK, Trump wins and New York is not getting a fiscal bailout and we’re going to lose more ground on the environment, we’re going to lose on Roe v. Wade, we’re going to lose on health care.’”

“What we’re seeing among Democrats is the sense that ‘we were in this position four years ago, so we’re not getting our hopes up,’” said Patrick Murray, director of the Monmouth University Polling Institute. “Republicans are consistently more confident that the election is going to go the way they want.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/us/politics/trump-democrats.html

Not being complacent is good. We need a Senate Majority!

With luck, MAGAts are in for a surprise, not just PTSD but an extinction level event!

9 replies, 857 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply How Democrats Are Celebrating Biden's Polling Lead: With Abject Dread (Original post)
BlueWavePsych Oct 22 OP
mourningdove92 Oct 22 #1
Post removed Oct 22 #3
CrispyQ Oct 22 #2
beachbumbob Oct 22 #4
TwilightZone Oct 22 #5
Guilded Lilly Oct 22 #6
MFM008 Oct 22 #7
regnaD kciN Oct 22 #8
Aristus Oct 22 #9

Response to BlueWavePsych (Original post)

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 02:50 PM

1. Totally true

I don’t dare get my hopes up. 2016 broke my heart. This article explains what I am hearing from other family and friends. We desperately want trump gone but the pain of 2016 is still with us. I know it is for me. And not just our pain. Hillary deserved better.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mourningdove92 (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 02:52 PM

2. Let's hope that awesome cartoon is a pic of the future.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 02:53 PM

4. 2016 has NOTHING to do with 2020, I tire of this. Do you all miss what happened in 2018? Are our

memories that pisspoor or what?

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 02:56 PM

5. This isn't 2016.

It's more like 2018 as others have noted.

I'm not sure what all the doom and gloom is supposed to accomplish. The standard answer is "we shouldn't get complacent", but record turnout and voter enthusiasm make that look entirely unlikely to occur.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 03:03 PM

6. I'm not going to ever get over it, HOWEVER...

My deep distrust of polls and predictions has sparked me to GOTV even more than my poll working 2016 self. (Who already would get fairly in-your-face if you said you weren’t voting.)

Don’t have much hope? Understandable.
So....

VOTE.
Early.
Be LOUD about the duty.
It’s our weapon.
Don’t ignore it.
Demand it.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 03:06 PM

7. Not the same

Im not worried.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 03:41 PM

8. "Good"...? BULLSHIT!

Yes, it's wise to not get complacent. But a doom-laden approach is just as bad, if not worse. Yes, you may work harder if you think you're going to lose (although probably with a stink of desperation that's very off-putting to those you contact), but lots of others will just shrug and say, "if there's no hope, why bother?" And I'm not just talking about campaign workers; far more important are the "casual voters" who may be on our side, but who will be influenced to react "Well, Trump is going to win anyway, so it's not worth going to the polls, particularly now. I'll just stay home and play video games."

There's a fine line between avoiding overconfidence and adopting defeatist behavior that provides an impetus to throw in the towel. I think this article from DailyKos sums it up quite well.

Reply to this post

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 04:21 PM

9. As stated above, 2020 is NOT 2016.

One of my most reliable personal indicators of that is Mrs. Aristus. She used to be a pretty staunch conservative evangelical Christian Republican. (Don't ask how we ended up married. Love wants what it wants, and anyway, she was far too decent for that ideology to ever stick).

She has voted reliably, if sometimes reluctantly, Democratic since 2008. She respected John McCain, but was astonished that someone as brain-dead as Sarah Palin might be a heartbeat away from the White House. She hesitated voting Obama/Biden because of Biden's Catholicism, but marked her ballot Democratic anyway.

She voted for their re-election in 2012.

By 2016, she was pretty much in the progressive camp, and proudly voted for Hillary Clinton. But when Trump won the EC, and 81% of evangelicals admitted voting for him, she abruptly left her conservative Foursquare Church, and has never looked back.

She doesn't even identify as a Christian anymore, such was the power and devastating force of the crisis of faith triggered by Trump's elevation to the Presidency.

Now she is a very vocal, proud Democrat, supporting LGBTQ rights, gun-control, environmental protection, and most of the Democratic platform. We completed our ballots Monday night. Straight Democratic ticket. Her move to the enlightened left has been the one bright spot in these last four, horrible years...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread