HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » New Poll Confirms That Hi...

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 05:14 PM

New Poll Confirms That High Youth Turnout Would Doom Trump

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/10/2020-polls-young-voters-biden-trump-youth-turnout.html

Republicans have long known that America’s rising generations were going to be a problem for their party. The only questions have been “How big?” and “How soon?”

The bulk of Americans born between 1981 and 1996 saw Bill Clinton preside over an age of (relative) peace and prosperity — and then George W. Bush steer their nation into failed wars and economic collapse. Zoomers, meanwhile, are coming of age amid, well, [gestures broadly at a landscape littered with foreclosed houses, police executions, pandemic breadlines, and melting ice sheets, all watched over by a billionaire Fox News addict who’s focused on his tweets].

Political science research suggests that a voter’s partisan preferences tend to be deeply informed by their evaluations of presidential performance in adolescence and early adulthood. Americans who came of age during the Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon presidencies leaned Democratic for years after. Those who attained a sense of self amid Jimmy Carter’s losing battle against stagflation — and/or Ronald Reagan’s boom times — remained disproportionately Republican as they aged.

3 replies, 960 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Poll Confirms That High Youth Turnout Would Doom Trump (Original post)
ItsjustMe Oct 22 OP
doc03 Oct 22 #1
11cents Oct 22 #2
onecaliberal Oct 22 #3

Response to ItsjustMe (Original post)

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 05:16 PM

1. That youth vote never happens nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to doc03 (Reply #1)

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 05:20 PM

2. The point here is that they won't always be "youth"

Even if they don't vote now, their partisan preferences are being formed now -- or for millenials, were formed during the GWBush years. Meaning that these cohorts will lean very Democratic.

Reply to this post

Response to ItsjustMe (Original post)

Thu Oct 22, 2020, 05:35 PM

3. The youth vote is happening. I have 3 Gen Z I'm my house.

They all took initiative to register and all 3 have already voted. Their friends are just as engaged. They’re tired of being fucked over.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread