HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » What was Trump talking ab...

Fri Oct 23, 2020, 01:50 PM

What was Trump talking about? How the language of Fox News invaded the final debate.

By
Elahe Izadi and
Jeremy Barr
Oct. 23, 2020 at 12:33 a.m. CDT

During the final presidential debate, President Trump made reference to “the laptop from hell,” “AOC plus three″ and “Russia, Russia, Russia” — yes, said three times in a row.

The material was very familiar to — and maybe only familiar to — regular viewers of Fox News opinion hosts such as Sean Hannity.
“I feel like he almost was speaking the language of Fox prime time,” Chuck Todd, host of “Meet the Press,” said on NBC after the debate. “If you watch a lot of Fox prime time, you understand what he’s saying. If you don’t, you have no idea.”

It was a point made over and over again across networks as political commentators and journalists wondered aloud whether Trump’s attacks on former vice president Joe Biden flew over the heads of many Americans who aren’t regular consumers of conservative television, radio and websites.

“Some of the punches he threw at Joe Biden I don’t think landed, because unless you were Sean Hannity, you probably had no idea what he was talking about,” CNN host Jake Tapper said.

“You need an encyclopedia to understand what is going on because it’s a series of buzzwords that have meaning perhaps if you’ve been studying the Daily Caller,” said CNN political correspondent Abby Phillip. “But if you’re a regular person going about your life, you’re not going to understand what rabbit holes the president is going down.”

More:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2020/10/23/trump-fox-news-final-debate/

5 replies, 817 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply What was Trump talking about? How the language of Fox News invaded the final debate. (Original post)
Judi Lynn Oct 23 OP
Eliot Rosewater Oct 23 #1
Midnightwalk Oct 23 #2
SharonClark Oct 23 #3
PSPS Oct 23 #4
appalachiablue Oct 23 #5

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Fri Oct 23, 2020, 01:54 PM

1. We have no choice, we win and preserve the win of this election or we are all done, for good.

In real terms.

This is more serious than even most of us have yet to understand.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Oct 23, 2020, 01:59 PM

2. So Todd watches a lot of fox news

I’m not surprised. Maybe msnbc could trade him to fox for something useful like a nice chair.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 23, 2020, 02:16 PM

3. I bet DUers knew what trump was trying to say because we're not "regular viewers"

when it comes to political talk.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 23, 2020, 02:19 PM

4. "But if you're a regular person going about your life, you're not going to understand..."

I think that should read, "But if you’re a normal person going about your life, you’re not going to understand what rabbit holes the president is going down."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread