HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » This is What Stealing an ...

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 05:57 PM

This is What Stealing an Election Looks Like

"The Supreme Courtís five conservatives on Monday voted to strike down an order from a Wisconsin federal judge allowing the state to receive and count absentee ballots up to six days after Election Day, so long as they were postmarked by Election Day. The decision is a troubling indication of how the nationís highest court could be the most powerful tool at the Trump administrationís disposal as it looks to disenfranchise voters and lock up ó nay, steal ó another term in office for President Trump.

If youíre still finding it a little hard to believe that the nationís most venerable court is in the bag for the president, look no further than the concurring opinion submitted by Brett Kavanaugh, the beer-loving conservative Trump and Senate Republicans jammed onto the court under controversial circumstances in 2018. In ruling to block the federal order, Kavanaugh parroted the presidentís talking points about the ills of absentee voting, while indicating that he is fully prepared to rule that any votes not counted on or before Election Day are illegitimate, so long as Trumpís re-election necessitate such a ruling."

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-absentee-ballot-ruling-1081977/?fbclid=IwAR3IYmSe6wHE0-lO502SvlIkKhtZuV6OmWhrQFZuJZ6N4zuyNUMR46azJxc

2 replies, 1144 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply This is What Stealing an Election Looks Like (Original post)
pfitz59 Oct 27 OP
CrispyQ Oct 27 #1
thucythucy Oct 27 #2

Response to pfitz59 (Original post)

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 06:10 PM

1. My state has vote by mail for all elections & ballots must be received by the County Clerk

by 7PM on Election Day. IMO, this is not an unreasonable rule. I mean at some point you have to have a cutoff date/time, & why wouldn't it be at the same time all the polls close?

https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elections/FAQs/mailBallotsFAQ.html

Q4. Will my mail ballot be counted? I heard that mail ballots might not be counted.

A4. Every valid mail ballot is counted. Be sure to sign the envelope when you return your mail ballot. Your county clerk must receive your ballot no later than 7:00 PM on Election Day. If you are not sure if your ballot will arrive in time, drop it off in person. Contact your county clerk and recorder for drop-off and drop-box locations.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 06:57 PM

2. Normally I might agree

except we now have a political hack as Postmaster General with the obvious intention of delaying the delivery of mail in ballots for as long as possible.

This means ballots are late getting to people, and then late getting into the appropriate office to be counted.

This is invidious discrimination against people for whom a mail-in ballot is their only option. It's all fine and well to say "If you are not sure your ballot will arrive in time, drop it off in person" but if you don't drive and live in an area without mass transit, or have a significant disability that limits your mobility, or are immune compromised, the option of "simply" dropping off your ballot isn't so simple.

Not to mention, the GOP is now busy doing everything they can to limit access to drop-boxes.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread