HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » How Mitch McConnell Deliv...

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 09:20 PM

How Mitch McConnell Delivered Justice Amy Coney Barrett's Rapid Confirmation: NYT

Last edited Tue Oct 27, 2020, 10:22 PM - Edit history (1)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/us/mcconnell-barrett-confirmation.html
Oct. 27, 2020, ...Updated 8:31 p.m. ET, written by: Carl Hulse

WASHINGTON — Within hours of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death last month, Senator Mitch McConnell was on the phone with President Trump, assuring him that Senate Republicans would not hesitate to fill the sudden vacancy despite the imminent election.

But he offered a word of warning to the president: “This will be the hardest fight of my life,” Mr. McConnell said, according to an aide. “We have to play this perfectly.”

There was good reason for caution. Mr. McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the majority leader, had moved just as quickly in 2016 to block President Barack Obama from filling a Supreme Court vacancy nine months before the election, saying voters should decide who selected the next justice. Now, he was proposing to brazenly reverse course and muscle through a nominee who would cement a conservative court majority in the middle of presidential voting and a pandemic that had reached the Senate.

2 replies, 455 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply How Mitch McConnell Delivered Justice Amy Coney Barrett's Rapid Confirmation: NYT (Original post)
Stuart G Oct 2020 OP
NRaleighLiberal Oct 2020 #1
Stuart G Oct 2020 #2

Response to Stuart G (Original post)

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 09:22 PM

1. I read most of what's in the Times, but I will not read anything involving that fucking asshole.

thanks for posting it, though. It's important info.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NRaleighLiberal (Reply #1)

Tue Oct 27, 2020, 09:29 PM

2. I found it very hard to read it, and you are correct about.." that fucking asshole,"

but I thought that others might learn something. Yes, it is well written, informative, and
relatively short, but it is about a mean, vicious and awful person. In many ways, McConnell is worse
than Donald Trump. (I will go into details later, when I get my stomach back)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread