HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Opinions How the idiocy ...

Wed Oct 28, 2020, 07:21 PM

Opinions How the idiocy of Trump and Jared Kushner let the pandemic loose

ďThe most dangerous people around the president are overconfident idiots,Ē said Jared Kushner to Bob Woodward, in just-released audiotapes of conversations the two had in April and May.

Unfortunately, this was not a sudden flash of self-awareness for the presidentís son-in-law. It was a complaint that public health experts had had too much influence over the administrationís response to the coronavirus pandemic, a state of affairs Kushner said had been corrected.

Kushnerís comments reveal something important about both him and the president. We know their handling the pandemic was dictated by politics, and thatís a big part of the reason it was such an unmitigated disaster.

But even more infuriating is that it was dictated by bad politics.

They could have done the right thing for the wrong reasons, taking steps that would save lives solely to benefit President Trumpís reelection campaign. That would have been fine; if you pulled my family from a burning car, I wouldnít care if you did it because you thought getting on the news would be a good opportunity to promote your line of exercise videos.

Instead, they did the wrong thing for the wrong reasons. They minimized the pandemic and undermined efforts to contain it because they thought doing so would be a political gold mine. And this has all but guaranteed Trumpís defeat.

-more-

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/opinions-how-the-idiocy-of-trump-and-jared-kushner-let-the-pandemic-loose/ar-BB1au5zg?li=BBnbfcL

0 replies, 889 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread