HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Doug Emhoff paused his ca...

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 03:05 PM

Doug Emhoff paused his career for his wife Kamala Harris's aspirations -- and became the campaign's

Doug Emhoff paused his career for his wife Kamala Harris’s aspirations — and became the campaign’s ‘secret weapon’

One night in 2017, Doug Emhoff settled in at a restaurant table at the Hotel NoMad, a luxury spot in Manhattan, with his ex-wife, a Los Angeles film producer, and his wife of three years, a freshly minted U.S. senator from California.

Defying cliche, the two women — Kerstin Emhoff and Kamala D. Harris — had become good friends. Harris, now the Democratic vice-presidential candidate, launched into a story that evening about how she had recently awakened to hear Doug Emhoff drop a surprise announcement: They were going on a trip. He’d planned everything.

Kerstin Emhoff nearly spit out her wine, she recalled in an interview. This was not the driven attorney with whom she had spent more than two decades, a man whose idea of a good time was spending hours on a golf course, endlessly watching sports on TV or attending pro basketball games.

“I’m so much better than I was before,” he said.

Gobsmacked, his ex-wife smiled, and turned to Harris.

“I don’t know what you’ve done to this man,” she said. “But it’s great.”

Just three years later, the evolved hubby has become one of the unexpected breakout figures in the 2020 campaign, a headliner in the unconventional, pandemic-plagued race for the White House. If his wife and her running mate, Joe Biden, are elected, Harris would accumulate several firsts: first female vice president, first Black Veep, first No. 2 born to Indian American and Jamaican America parents.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/doug-emhoff-kamala-harris-husband/2020/10/27/4d7ffdd2-15ec-11eb-ad6f-36c93e6e94fb_story.html

0 replies, 1077 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread