HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Jerry Falwell, Jr. sues L...

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 03:47 PM

Jerry Falwell, Jr. sues Liberty University

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/10/29/jerry-falwell-liberty-university-lawsuit/

Jerry Falwell, Jr. has sued Liberty University, the evangelical school co-founded by his father that he led for more than a decade before resigning in August after a series of personal scandals.

Falwell claims that Liberty damaged his reputation, alleging the university affirmed what he called false statements made by a man who attempted to extort Falwell and his wife, according to the complaint.

“Other than God and my family, there is nothing in the world I love more than Liberty University,” Falwell said in a news release Thursday from a law firm representing him. “I am saddened that University officials, with whom I have shared so much success and enjoyed such positive relationships, jumped to conclusions about the claims made against my character, failed to properly investigate them, and then damaged my reputation following my forced resignation.”

Falwell’s departure in August generated shock waves because of his stature in parts of the evangelical world. Liberty has long been a power center for conservative Christians, and Falwell’s endorsement of Donald Trump’s presidential campaign in 2016 was seen as a pivotal moment for the candidate, one of the earliest signs of support from a prominent evangelical leader.

Scott Lamb, a spokesman for the university, said Liberty trustees have not yet been served with a lawsuit and that he would not comment until they were.

3 replies, 639 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Jerry Falwell, Jr. sues Liberty University (Original post)
ItsjustMe Oct 2020 OP
Mike Nelson Oct 2020 #1
Hassler Oct 2020 #2
Lord Ludd Oct 2020 #3

Response to ItsjustMe (Original post)

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 05:04 PM

1. Yikes!

... Liberty "damaged his reputation?"

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 05:31 PM

2. Fraudwell Jr doesn't want to get off the gravy train.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Oct 29, 2020, 08:23 PM

3. "Other than God and my family,

and the 30,000 sq.ft. house,
and the heated swimming pool,
and the Beamer, the Lexus, the Porsche & the Caddy,
and the Gulfstream,
and the insider stock tips,
and my legal team,
there is nothing in the world I love more than Liberty University.”