HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Drumpf, Colossal Asshole,...

Fri Oct 30, 2020, 10:37 PM

Drumpf, Colossal Asshole, Says Doctors Get Extra Cash If People Die of COVID-19

Donald Trump, Colossal Asshole, Says Doctors Get Extra Cash If People Die of COVID-19

The incredible thing here is that while there is absolutely no evidence that doctors (1) get more money for having a patient who dies of COVID-19 and (2) are thus gaming the system to line their pockets, it‘s absolutely what Trump, history‘s most shameless grifter, would do if he were in their position. (As has been said of the president: Everything he accuses other people of doing “can be understood in one of two ways: as projection or a confession.”) It’s also completely in character that while Trump has a lot of outrageous lies to tell about first responders, he has nothing to say about doctors working themselves to the bone for the last seven months, frequently without adequate PPE, risking their lives with little to no help from the federal government. Or that the situation has presented “unusual mental health challenges for emergency physicians,” at least one of whom died by suicide last April.

Friday wasn’t the first time Trump trotted out his new attack on the medical community—which, y’know, saved his life earlier this month. Over the weekend he accused doctors of padding their coronavirus death counts, saying at a rally in New Hampshire: “Some countries, they report differently. If somebody is sick with a heart problem, and they die of COVID, they say they die of a heart problem…. We report them, and doctors get more money, and hospitals get more money…. This country and their reporting systems are really not doing it right…. We’re gonna start looking at things, because they have things a little bit backwards.”

And in March, he insisted a lack of hospital supplies wasn’t his own fault but that of medical professionals, who he suggested were stealing them: “Something is going on, and you ought to look into it,” he told reporters. “Where are the masks going? Are they going out the back door? How do you go from 10,000 to 300,000? And we have that in a lot of different places. So, somebody should probably look into that, because I just don’t see, from a practical standpoint, how that’s possible to go from that to that.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/10/donald-trump-doctors-covid-19-cash

8 replies, 641 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Drumpf, Colossal Asshole, Says Doctors Get Extra Cash If People Die of COVID-19 (Original post)
BlueWavePsych Oct 30 OP
doc03 Oct 30 #1
lettucebe Oct 30 #3
doc03 Oct 30 #5
BlueWavePsych Oct 30 #6
BBbats Oct 30 #2
Chipper Chat Oct 30 #4
Backseat Driver Oct 31 #7
OhioChick Oct 31 #8

Response to BlueWavePsych (Original post)

Fri Oct 30, 2020, 10:40 PM

1. That is something Trump supporters have been pushing for a good while nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to doc03 (Reply #1)

Fri Oct 30, 2020, 10:57 PM

3. My son told me this a few months back -- I said, "are you Fn kidding me?"

That's when I learned he believes a lot of this BS, so I suspect his new in-laws who live in a red part of the state, or perhaps his co-workers (he's a firefighter). Don't know and I didn't ask. I only told him to please please please check his sources and realize there is a lot of misinformation out there. Verify, double-check, don't believe everything you hear. It broke my heart but I had to get over it. I have not spoken of it since. I'm waiting until after the election.

There is simply no way to convince someone of a different viewpoint if they are seeing the misinformation daily. Watching Fox? Nope, not going to be interested. My sister's husband is a Fox fan. She's not really a believer in much of anything but goes along with him to keep the peace, and votes with him because she's not that interested. I know, right?

Reply to this post

Response to lettucebe (Reply #3)

Fri Oct 30, 2020, 11:07 PM

5. They all have a friend or relative that is a nurse that says the hospital administrators

pressure the doctors to make the cause of death as COVID-19. I have been hearing that for months.

Reply to this post

Response to lettucebe (Reply #3)

Fri Oct 30, 2020, 11:07 PM

6. We will need a herculean educational focus in critical thinking.

First, our Senate Majority.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 30, 2020, 10:51 PM

2. It's amazing!

It just blows me away how many people believe that! Ditto for the supplies bullshit.
I work part time around the corner from a major city hospital. That talk infuriates the doctors,nurses and other people who work there.
Every day I hear a jackass come into the store sprouting that shit sometimes in front of the hospital personnel.
I saw a Doctor damn near punch one of those idiots in the mouth.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 30, 2020, 11:01 PM

4. Dr. Steven Sample of Jasper Indiana just scorched trump on this.

he told Brian Williams he was PISSED that trump came after his integrity. He was calming down with a goblet of wine.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 31, 2020, 02:16 AM

7. Has he never heard of DRGs?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/scientists-warn-potential-wave-covid-linked-brain-damage-n1233150 - Already fried, IMO!

For insurance reimbursement bill preparation, resource planning, and/or utilization review that includes patient mix on any given day (like ICU useage) and LOS (length of stay). In other words, for billing, bed and resource planning...There's a software program algorithm that spits out codes from what was input as being done - medical/surgical PROCEDURE/therapeutic codes that ask the question if treatment was straightforward or more complicated by other related patient pathologies (co-morbidities) that were performed and that are billable are turned into amounts requested for reimbursement - Purposeful bundling of codes to increase the severity of illness and therefore enhance reimbursement is unwise and could be found to be fraudulent. DIMwit is allegedly quite good with bundling, wash, rinse, repeat, for his benefit alone.

https://www.aha.org/news/headline/2020-03-23-new-covid-19-ms-drg-assignment.

Coding changes in ICD-9-CM or ICD-10-CM diagnostic codes are reviewed and new ones may be added each October. When coding for patient records, you gotta put the diagnosis that was most responsible and known reason for the HOSPITAL admittance first, THEN add any/all others issues, as known, for which the patient was treated necessarily, but not issues that required no treatment unless related to the 1st diagnosis for admittance. They are ICD10 codes and still sometimes E-codes are used most often for research studies that describe how and/or why a diagosis occurred.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/icd/Announcement-New-ICD-code-for-coronavirus-3-18-2020.pdf

Physician office coding is also different; doctor needs to explain his time (a simple to advanced patient problem and how the complaint was addressed) and the doctor's orders, referral, screenings, diagnostic testing, treatment, etc. They are codes that explain the office visit for billing. The form is called the UB92. Patient intake forms also must include HIIPA rules and restrictions/permissions.

Hospital reimbursement records are different and use DRGs for billing purposes in which one picks a anatomical system pathology under which therapeutic treatments were performed (not diagnostic) - some medical - some surgical - or no other complicating issues.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 31, 2020, 04:06 AM

8. This pisses me off...

My kids are both doctors in residency and only make 50-60K/year and have close to half a million in med school loans each.

They're both working 16+ hour days dealing with Covid patients with very limited PPE. Neither has a life and won't for the unforeseeable future. I can't even hug my kids.

We calculated their hours worked and they're both making less than minimum wage.

What the asshole says is absolute BS. They do NOT make more money for Covid patients that die.

He's FOS.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread