HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » McConnell Told Trump to N...

Tue Nov 24, 2020, 11:27 PM

McConnell Told Trump to Nominate Amy Coney Barrett on Night of Ginsburg's Death, Ex-Chief of Staff S

McConnell Told Trump to Nominate Amy Coney Barrett on Night of Ginsburg's Death, Ex-Chief of Staff Says
BY JEFFERY MARTIN ON 11/24/20 AT 9:32 PM EST

On the evening that Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died, Senate Republican Majority Leader Mitch McConnell allegedly encouraged President Donald Trump to nominate Judge Amy Coney Barrett to fill Ginsburg's seat, according to a PBS documentary expected to be broadcast on Tuesday on the series Frontline.

Barrett's nomination was opposed by many Democrats who felt that no Supreme Court nominee just be appointed before the 2020 presidential election. Democrats also balked at Barrett's conservative leanings, concerned she may try to overturn the Affordable Care Act and Roe v. Wade. According to McConnell's former chief of staff Josh Holmes, McConnell spoke with Trump soon after Ginsburg's passing.

"McConnell told [Trump] two things," Holmes said in the documentary Supreme Revenge: Battle for the Court. "McConnell said, first, I'm going to put out a statement that says we're going to fill the vacancy. Second, he said, you've gotta nominate Amy Coney Barrett."

Holmes served as McConnell's chief of staff for three years before managing McConnell's re-election campaign in 2017. Currently, Holmes is the president of the political consulting firm Cavalry, LLC.

More:
https://www.newsweek.com/mcconnell-told-trump-nominate-amy-coney-barrett-night-ginsburgs-death-ex-chief-staff-says-1550036?piano_t=1

2 replies, 1135 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply McConnell Told Trump to Nominate Amy Coney Barrett on Night of Ginsburg's Death, Ex-Chief of Staff S (Original post)
Judi Lynn Nov 24 OP
lastlib Nov 24 #1
COLGATE4 Nov 24 #2

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue Nov 24, 2020, 11:51 PM

1. I have a SEEETHING hatred for Addison "Moscow" Mitchell Mccoonell McTurdle!

I used to think Jesse Helms was the most evil senator ever. Turdle has him topped, claws down.

--- ---

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue Nov 24, 2020, 11:58 PM

2. McConnell is almost as responsible as Trump for

the abject deterioration of our democracy and system of government. Yet he pays no price for it. There has to be a payback somewhere.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread