HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » When will America wake up...

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 04:14 PM

When will America wake up to the evil that has seized the Republican Party?

We’ve seen it around the world and throughout history: when a political party or government exists solely to serve the very wealthy, and begins to lose power, they inevitably turn to authoritarianism and police violence.

We saw this in Florida when Gov. Ron DeSantis sent State police with guns drawn to intimidate the family of whistleblower Rebekah Jones, who he’d earlier fired for refusing to lie about Florida coronavirus statistics and is now publishing a daily “Florida coronavirus dashboard.“

We see it with Donald Trump committing a felony for which you or I would immediately go to prison, trying to tamper with the outcome of a legitimate election by threats, intimidation, and offering bribes to government officials.

We see it in Michigan where the Macomb County GOP seems to share an address with the group that showed up, armed, to threaten and intimidate the Secretary of State and her four-year-old son as they were preparing to watch “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.”

We saw it when armed Republicans with swastikas and Confederate flags invaded the Michigan capitol, and then tried to kidnap and assassinate Governor Gretchen Whitmer.

We see it with Lindsey Graham threatening Georgia Republicans that if they don’t support Trump’s brutal authoritarianism, crimes, and coup attempt they won’t get Republican votes. Violence and the threat of violence are the new currency in the GOP realm.

Because the Republican party only serves great wealth, when the Fed intervened in late spring to create $7 trillion out of thin air and use it to buy corporate stocks and bonds, reinflating the stock market, Republicans lost all interest in any kind of Covid assistance.

As long as the stock market stays high, wealthy people are good and the GOP doesn’t care what happens to average people – unless they speak out to expose Republicans like we saw in Florida. Then they bring in the police, guns drawn.

Now that Mitch McConnell‘s power in the Senate hangs in the balance in an election in Georgia, he’s suddenly willing to pass a tiny amount of relief for average working people, but the price he demands is to make it illegal for workers to sue their wealthy employers.

Meanwhile, the Republican Trump administration just quietly took an action to cut eligibility for Social Security Disability. They don’t give a rat’s ass about average people in pain; they only care about the rich. And most wealthy people right now are very, very happy with the GOP.

For Republicans, it’s all about money and the political power which gets them that money and helps them avoid paying taxes on it. When their power begins to slip, they roll out the threats, armed goons, and the police, all while chanting “law and order!“

The Republican Party neither represents law or order. Since Reagan’s election, they’ve exclusively represented the interests of giant corporations and billionaires, while using racism, regionalism and misogyny to manipulate working class voters.

The question our republic now faces is, “When will the people wake up?“

26 replies, 3509 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 26 replies Author Time Post
Reply When will America wake up to the evil that has seized the Republican Party? (Original post)
thomhartmann Dec 2020 OP
Chainfire Dec 2020 #1
Thekaspervote Dec 2020 #5
RKP5637 Dec 2020 #2
Moostache Dec 2020 #3
Autumn Dec 2020 #4
Ford_Prefect Dec 2020 #7
Autumn Dec 2020 #8
JudyM Dec 2020 #22
Midnight Writer Dec 2020 #6
Auggie Dec 2020 #9
JudyM Dec 2020 #23
Auggie Dec 2020 #25
JudyM Dec 2020 #26
ananda Dec 2020 #10
bdamomma Dec 2020 #11
CaptYossarian Dec 2020 #12
Evolve Dammit Dec 2020 #13
DanieRains Dec 2020 #14
ffr Dec 2020 #16
ffr Dec 2020 #15
Ponietz Dec 2020 #17
CaptainTruth Dec 2020 #18
Blue Owl Dec 2020 #19
dalton99a Dec 2020 #20
KPN Dec 2020 #21
JudyM Dec 2020 #24

Response to thomhartmann (Original post)

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 04:16 PM

1. The problem is that nearly half of the country is fine with all that

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Chainfire (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 05:04 PM

5. It isn't 50% of the country. It's more like 25%.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 04:19 PM

2. Some will never wake up and will drink the Kool Aid while worshiping the leader of the cult! n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 04:31 PM

3. There is either rule of law, or there is not.

If the GOP wishes to pursue this insane pattern of behavior and placate the man-baby Trump (aka LOSER-45) and salve his tender ego, all the while enabling the dismantling of American democracy and the unwinding of the democratic representative republic which has stood since 1789, then so be it. Such actions have consequences, long running, unforgettable and very serious consequences.

But with the demise of said republic, so too diminishes the impact and legitimacy of certain laws, such as those that would make it illegal to call for the immediate execution of a potential POTUS usurper. It would also invalidate everything in the US Code of laws and would invite total anarchy and rebellion.

I will not comply with a Trump coup d'etat and I will no longer respect, honor or follow any laws of a defunct republic either. Keep at it hoss...see what happens next as you love to say.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 04:46 PM

4. If the elected Republican politicians would sound the alarm their people would wake up. The

rest of us are wide awake and aware. I hope our Democratic leaders are hearing the alarm that we have been sounding for a while.

Reply to this post

Response to Autumn (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 05:58 PM

7. Those Republicans now in office are not capable of acting on behalf of American Citizens.

For more than 35 years the GOP has recruited RW extremist true believers. They have primaried and excluded any Republican with any thoughts of their own or a more traditional view of Republican values. The current crop is completely bought, sold and compromised, and has no conscience.
This was laid out in a plan put forward by Norquist, Gingrich and others who saw the way to power as having an absolutely loyal GOP at all levels of government. This was empowered by people like the Mercers, Kochs and too many other oligarchs to name, who put vast sums into circulation via Conservative Think tanks, 501-c3, 3rd and 4th party front groups.

Except for the name of the party none of those now in office could be called Republican by virtue of values or actions. IMO the last man who could reasonably hold that title died in office August 25, 2018.

Reply to this post

Response to Ford_Prefect (Reply #7)

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 06:02 PM

8. That is so true. And it will be a long time before there are any Republicans

capable and willing to of act on behalf of American Citizens.

Reply to this post

Response to Autumn (Reply #4)

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 11:21 AM

22. There's too much intentional noise screening Dem communication. We need much sharper messaging.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 05:23 PM

6. I feel like the USA has dodged a bullet. I'm afraid the next GOP Administration will have better aim

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 06:03 PM

9. "When will the people wake up? READ THIS BOOK:

The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion / Jonathan Haidt

It's a THEORY. But it's a pretty sound one IMO.

The bestseller that challenges conventional thinking about morality, politics, and religion in a way that speaks to conservatives and liberals alike—a “landmark contribution to humanity’s understanding of itself” (The New York Times Book Review).

Reply to this post

Response to Auggie (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 11:22 AM

23. What's the theory, Auggie, in a nutshell?

Reply to this post

Response to JudyM (Reply #23)

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 11:43 AM

25. From Wikipedia:

In the first part of the book, the author uses research to demonstrate social intuitionism, how people's beliefs come primarily from their intuitions, and rational thought often comes after to justify initial beliefs. He cites David Hume and E. O. Wilson as thinkers who gave reason a relatively low estimation, as opposed to more popular thinkers who give reason a central place in moral cognition, such as Lawrence Kohlberg and his stages of moral reasoning.

In the second portion of the book, he presents moral foundations theory, and applies it to the political beliefs of liberals, conservatives, and libertarians in the US. Haidt argues that people are too quick to denigrate other points of view without giving those views full consideration, and attempts to reach common ground between liberals and conservatives. He makes the case in the book for morality having multiple foundations (more than just harm and fairness), and said in an interview that morality "is at least six things, and probably a lot more than that" and "[religion and politics are]…expressions of our tribal, groupish, righteous nature."Haidt himself acknowledges that while he has been a liberal all his life, he is now more open to other points of view.

In the third part of the book, Haidt describes a hypothetical "hive switch," which turns a selfish human "chimp" into a "groupish" human "bee." Cultures and organizations have techniques for getting people to identify with their groups, such as dancing, moving, and singing in unison.

———

I’m convinced the deep red state, including conservative media, have used moral foundation theory to drown out Democratic Party and progressive ideology for decades. Their hive switches should be easy to identify. “Lock her up” was/is one. “Government is the problem” is another.

It's easy to demonize the group morals of others -- just pose them as a threat.

Reply to this post

Response to Auggie (Reply #25)

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 10:40 PM

26. Yes, this is interesting, thanks.

It’s a terrible pity that critical thinking skills aren’t robustly taught in high school.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 06:09 PM

10. When the corporate media stops covering/normalizing it.

!!!

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 06:16 PM

11. Thom

80 million of us are awake. We have "domestic enemies" amongst us. This has to stop.

Biden/ Harris won fair and square. It's tRump's death cult that needs to wake up.

None of us will tolerate a dictatorship.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 06:30 PM

12. I think we just woke up to the fact that there are 74 million evil

registered voters in America.

The original 66 million knew they put a racist rapist in the Oval Office. After his incompetence and apathy killed 200,000 of his constituents (at the time) and he separated families--kidnapping scores of children and infants--he has received even more votes. Then the draft dodger called a cemetery full of war dead "suckers and losers". The concept of too low doesn't exist in his limited mind.

2020 has been so exasperating, I left out the Impeachment.

The deplorables really dig his new reality show. It's more entertaining than any old fake news. Yes, people who voted for him a second time are the definition of evil. Plus, they detest America (with or without flying that traitorous flag).

Last week, I called him PT Barnum's evil twin. They'll never prove me wrong.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 06:30 PM

13. Sheeple convinced to be angry victims of... everything the GOP can imagine. Keeps expanding. n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 06:32 PM

14. Thom Hartmann Agrees With Me - They Are Evil And We Can Say It

Mark Shields Just Stop It - You Are Part Of The Problem

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100214662715

Pure Evil.

When I run into a Republican I ask them to name something the Republican Party now stands for that isn't evil, and I will give them $20. I haven't paid anyone yet.

Last girl said "freedom". I said only freedom for the 1% to rob us and pollute the planet. Doesn't count. She didn't have anything else.

Time Democrats just call them the EVIL PARTY.

Reply to this post

Response to DanieRains (Reply #14)

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 07:10 PM

16. +1

Gestapo.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 07:09 PM

15. When there are repurcussions for their actions.

Until then, they are free to threaten and intimidate, under the protection of government officials that sanction their actions.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 07:16 PM

17. Maybe after the body count

Strategic planners on hothouse earth know what’s in store. Capitalism AND overpopulation are incompatible. Setting us against one another resolves one of those.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 07:21 PM

18. You touched on an important point, GOP politicians working only for the rich.

Some years ago I concluded that Republican politicians care about one thing more than any other: Gaining & maintaining power.

To do that, they need large campaign donations.

Who gives the biggest campaign donations? Rich people & corporations. Ergo, Republican politicians work for rich people & corporations. It's an essential part of how they gain & maintain power.

And I'm not convinced they necessarily want to help rich people, they just want to help themselves to rich people's money.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 07:38 PM

19. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 8, 2020, 08:16 PM

20. Kick

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 09:16 AM

21. Nice to see and hear you here Thom. Excellent

summation. We are all looking for an answer to that question here. One that doesn’t require another decade or generation of decline, pain and suffering by average and diverse Americans. Waking up sufficient Americans is perhaps the most important thing we can do to avoid the tyranny of authoritarianism and eventually prosper one and all.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 9, 2020, 11:32 AM

24. People will wake up when our messaging becomes effective.

We are not getting through, so we need to use communications/marketing experts to punch above our current weight. My question is why aren’t we doing anything different to attempt to capture the narrative, or at least fight effectively for it? The Lincoln Project came onto the scene and shook things up a bit, but they’re not even Dems. We need, IMO, Lakoff and other experts to help us get the info out in a trenchant, credibility-inspiring way.

Look, we couldn’t have more compelling facts. We’re clearly not marshaling those facts effectively.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread