HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » 'We Turned 90, Moved In T...

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 09:52 PM

'We Turned 90, Moved In Together, Then Got The Vaccine': Lily & Trevor, Her Days Younger 'Toy Boy'

'Coronavirus doctor's diary: 'We turned 90, moved in together - then got the vaccine,' BBC News, Dec. 24, 2020.

The UK's Covid vaccination programme has begun, with the over-80s and some health and care staff first in line. Two dancing partners who only became a co-habiting couple at the age of 90 were among the first in the queue in Bradford, where Dr John Wright of Bradford Royal Infirmary got to hear about them.

As with so many great romances, it all started for Lily Abbot and Trevor Hirst on the dance floor. They first met through Bradford's sequence dancing circuit 30 years ago, became good friends and would travel to events around the country together - Lily partnered by her husband, Wilf, Trevor with his wife, Rita. Trevor gave up after Rita died six years ago. But eventually friends persuaded him to give it another try. And whenever he turned up at the church hall, Lily would be there. She'd lost Wilf in 2006 after 55 years of marriage. "I'd get her up to dance," says Trevor, "and all the rest is history."

At the start of 2020, the year they both turned 90 - Lily, who is six days older than Trevor, calls him her "toy boy" - they were still living separately. "Some of our friends said, 'Why don't you two get married?'" she says. "I said: 'We don't want to get married, we've both been married, we don't need to be married, we're all right.'" Trevor has four grown-up children, Lily has two. Both are grandparents and Trevor is a great-grandparent.

Then Covid arrived. "We didn't realise the seriousness of it at first but it's been horrendous," says Lily. One day early on in lockdown, she and Trevor went out for a walk together and Lily fell and cracked a rib.

"Trevor said he'd come and live here because both my children and his wanted us to do that - I was frightened by my fall and he came here and I said, 'You might as well stay, rather than go home at night,'" says Lily. Now they are "living over the brush", as Lily puts it. "It's just worked out great and we are so compatible."...

More, https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55424783

13 replies, 2359 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'We Turned 90, Moved In Together, Then Got The Vaccine': Lily & Trevor, Her Days Younger 'Toy Boy' (Original post)
appalachiablue Dec 2020 OP
sheshe2 Dec 2020 #1
appalachiablue Dec 2020 #2
calimary Dec 2020 #3
Dem2theMax Dec 2020 #4
sandensea Dec 2020 #5
appalachiablue Dec 2020 #9
RussellCattle Dec 2020 #6
RussellCattle Dec 2020 #7
RussellCattle Dec 2020 #8
Dem2theMax Dec 2020 #11
RussellCattle Dec 2020 #12
Dem2theMax Dec 2020 #13
appalachiablue Dec 2020 #10

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 10:27 PM

1. TY

That put a smile on my face.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sheshe2 (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 10:29 PM

2. Love this couple & after dancing for decades they're

in very good health, body & soul.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 11:19 PM

3. Awwwwwwwwwww...

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 11:40 PM

4. This is so sweet. And neither one of them looks 90.

All that dancing and all that love must be keeping them young!

Reply to this post

Response to Dem2theMax (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 11:50 PM

5. True.

Neither looks any older than Cheeto - and they're almost old enough to be his parents.

Goes to show how much cocaine and STDs can age a man.
This is the DU member formerly known as sandensea.

Reply to this post

Response to Dem2theMax (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 12:01 AM

9. You know it, dancing & a positive outlook. Dancing uses more

parts of the body than any other activity I once read. No wonder they're healthy and happy.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 11:50 PM

6. Looked up "Living over the Brush....

What does 'Living over the brush' mean?

Living together out of wedlock. "They are living over the brush" originates from a form of marriage when a couple held hands and jumped over a besom to signal their commitment to each other, because they couldn't have a church marriage.

Reply to this post

Response to RussellCattle (Reply #6)

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 11:52 PM

7. So then I had to look up "besom"......

A besom /ˈbiːzəm/ is a broom, a household implement used for sweeping. The term is now mostly reserved for a traditional broom constructed from a bundle of twigs tied to a stout pole.

Reply to this post

Response to RussellCattle (Reply #7)

Fri Dec 25, 2020, 11:53 PM

8. This is how I can and do kill an evening here on that black hole we call the D.U.

Reply to this post

Response to RussellCattle (Reply #8)

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 12:26 AM

11. LOL!

The internet is one big, black hole. I do the same thing you do. Start with one specific thing I'm looking at, and the next thing you know, five hours have passed, and I've been all over the world from the comfort of my chair.

Reply to this post

Response to Dem2theMax (Reply #11)

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 01:31 AM

12. Amen, brother, and five hours is no exageration, as in "Is it 2 A.M. already?"

Reply to this post

Response to RussellCattle (Reply #12)

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 01:39 AM

13. It's so easy to do, isn't it?

Made me laugh with the 2 a.m. remark.

I've honestly gone till 5 a.m. if I'm doing genealogy research. I just lose all track of time.

I nicknamed my computer
'The World at my Fingertips.'

It seemed appropriate, because you can travel around the world while sitting in front of your computer. Or now, your cell phone.

Reply to this post

Response to RussellCattle (Reply #6)

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 12:02 AM

10. 'Jump the broom' old custom. A guy suggested this when

I was too young, fortunately I said no. It wasn't the right relationship.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread