HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Cambridge, Mass. To Post ...

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 06:27 AM

Cambridge, Mass. To Post Climate Change Warning Stickers At Gas Stations

'Massachusetts city to post climate change warning stickers at gas stations.' The Guardian, Dec. 25, 2020. Bright yellow stickers warn drivers burning of gasoline has ‘major consequences on human health and the environment.’

Cambridge, Massachusetts, has become the first US city to mandate the placing of stickers on fuel pumps to warn drivers of the resulting dangers posed by the climate crisis. The final design of the bright yellow stickers, shared with the Guardian, includes text that warns drivers the burning of gasoline, diesel and ethanol has “major consequences on human health and the environment including contributing to climate change”.

The stickers will be placed on all fuel pumps in Cambridge, which is situated near Boston and is home to Harvard University, “fairly soon” once they are received from printers, a city spokesman confirmed. “The city of Cambridge is working hard with our community to fight climate change,” the spokesman added. “The gas pump stickers will remind drivers to think about climate change and hopefully consider non-polluting options.” The placement of the stickers follows an ordinance passed by Cambridge in January.

The city has a target of slashing planet-heating emissions by 80% and offsetting the remainder by 2050, making it carbon neutral. Transportation, primarily the use of cars and trucks, is responsible for more than a quarter of US emissions but there has been scant success in weaning Americans off their predilection for large, energy-intensive vehicles. Indeed, a boom in SUV sales in the US threatens to cause a surge in emissions if national fuel efficiency standards are not tightened further.

Warning labels similar to Cambridge’s are already found in Sweden, although an effort to do likewise in Berkeley, California, was unsuccessful. The simple text of the warning stickers is relatively staid compared to versions envisioned by climate campaigners. In a legal complaint lodged against oil giant BP, the environmental non-profit ClientEarth included mockups that showed a forest on fire with a stark list of the disastrous impacts caused by global heating...

More, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/dec/25/massachusetts-city-to-post-climate-change-warning-stickers-at-gas-stations

7 replies, 1238 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cambridge, Mass. To Post Climate Change Warning Stickers At Gas Stations (Original post)
appalachiablue Dec 2020 OP
CatLady78 Dec 2020 #1
NNadir Dec 2020 #2
progree Dec 2020 #6
NNadir Dec 2020 #7
marie999 Dec 2020 #3
Croney Dec 2020 #4
littlemissmartypants Dec 2020 #5

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 07:16 AM

2. Yet another "By 2050." I'm old enough to remember "by 2000" arguments of a similar type.

These "by 'such and such a year'" announcements are nothing more than expressions of contempt for future generations.

The problem is now, and it was now in 2000.

The fact is that the technology has existed for a very long time to eliminate fossil fuels - and no, reactionary horseshit about so called "renewable energy" is not it - and has been well understood in Cambridge, where MIT has a nuclear engineering department.

Yet another cigarette type package warning isn't going to cut it, any more than California's warning on gasoline pumps that gasoline is a carcinogen (which it is) has had an effect on climate change.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NNadir (Reply #2)

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 09:19 AM

6. I bet you also enjoyed "Japan adopts green growth plan to go carbon free by 2050"

https://www.democraticunderground.com/10142654188

and "if a small country can do it, so can we"

Reply to this post

Response to progree (Reply #6)

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 11:23 AM

7. There are so many of these, I can't keep up with them. The contempt for future generations...

...that rings through all of the them is more than mildly disgusting.

Essentially they all consist of claiming that people who are infants today will be able to accomplish what we have been unable to accomplish ourselves, and do so after we have completely and totally destroyed the planetary atmosphere, consumed all the best ores, killed the seas, burned the forests, and laced all the wilderness areas with toxic electronic waste.

I did however, see the Japan "by 2050," which was slightly less obscene, inasmuch as it included a role for nuclear energy, but with the usual stupid genuflection to so called "renewable energy." I note with due contempt, that Japan is not a country with a lot of mines, and the so called "renewable energy" scheme definitely involves mining on a vast scale, again, using lower grade, and hence energetically more demanding.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 07:49 AM

3. By 2050 is too late, by 2022 is too late.

I have a strong belief that nothing of consequence will be done at all. Poor countries can't do much and rich countries won't do much.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 08:35 AM

4. I live in Cambridge and I see two problems with these labels.

First, most of our stations are full-serve, so drivers won't be reading that tiny print because they won't be getting out of the car.

Second, it's like slapping "Don't Eat Meat!" stickers on a steakhouse. How many minds will it change?

However, my personal opinion is that it's stupid for so many personal cars to be on the road and we should triple our funding for public transportation, so I do agree with the message.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 26, 2020, 08:52 AM

5. Two things. ..

1) 30% of the adult population in the USA can't read and
2) too many will just brand it "tldr" and won't bother.

I'd rather see my taxes go to food against childhood hunger.

Interesting share though. Thanks for sharing it.

❤ lmsp

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread