HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » An Oscar Winner Made a Kh...

Sun Dec 27, 2020, 10:18 AM

An Oscar Winner Made a Khashoggi Documentary. Streaming Services Didn't Want It.

Bryan Fogel’s first documentary, “Icarus,” helped uncover the Russian doping scandal that led to the country’s expulsion from the 2018 Winter Olympics. It also won an Oscar for him and for Netflix, which released the film.

For his second project, he chose another subject with global interest: the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, the Saudi Arabian dissident and Washington Post columnist, and the role that the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, played in it.

A film by an Oscar-winning filmmaker would normally garner plenty of attention from streaming services, which have used documentaries and niche movies to attract subscribers and earn awards. Instead, when Mr. Fogel’s film, “The Dissident,” was finally able to find a distributor after eight months, it was with an independent company that had no streaming platform and a much narrower reach.

“These global media companies are no longer just thinking, ‘How is this going to play for U.S. audiences?’” Mr. Fogel said. “They are asking: ‘What if I put this film out in Egypt? What happens if I release it in China, Russia, Pakistan, India?’ All these factors are coming into play, and it’s getting in the way of stories like this.”

Netflix was eager to have “Icarus” several years ago, buying the film for $5 million after it debuted at Sundance in 2017. “Fogel’s incredible risk-taking has delivered an absorbing real-life thriller that continues to have global reverberations,” Lisa Nishimura, who was Netflix’s vice president of original documentaries, said in a statement at the time.

Mr. Fogel wonders if the company would be as excited about that film now.

In January 2019, Netflix pulled an episode of the comedian Hasan Minhaj’s series, “Patriot Act,” when he criticized Prince Mohammed after Mr. Khashoggi’s death. Mr. Hastings later defended the move, saying: “We’re not trying to do ‘truth to power.’ We’re trying to entertain.”

“I love Netflix and considered myself part of the Netflix family after our wonderful experience with ‘Icarus,’” he said. “Sadly, they are not the same company as a few years ago when they passionately stood up to Russia and Putin.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/24/business/media/dissident-jamal-khashoggi-netflix-amazon.html

3 replies, 1015 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply An Oscar Winner Made a Khashoggi Documentary. Streaming Services Didn't Want It. (Original post)
demmiblue Dec 2020 OP
Cirque du So-What Dec 2020 #1
mdelaguna Dec 2020 #2
Kid Berwyn Dec 2020 #3

Response to demmiblue (Original post)

Sun Dec 27, 2020, 10:22 AM

1. Where are repugs shouting 'cancel culture'?

Can’t offend or embarrass the murderous Saudi prince, yunno.
This is the DU member formerly known as Cirque du So-What.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 27, 2020, 10:30 AM

2. K&R

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 01:29 AM

3. Netflix and Big Media should be ashamed.

Coddling up to despotic murderers is no way to run a global business, unless you’re competing with Rupert Murdoch who’s been coddling for a long while.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread