HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Trump is growing smaller ...

Mon Dec 28, 2020, 01:27 PM

Trump is growing smaller before our eyes

Opinion by Paul Waldman

Cementing his status as quite possibly the worst deal-maker ever to sit in the Oval Office, President Trump once again created a crisis, made some impulsive demands, then backed down at the last minute without actually obtaining anything other than some increased suffering for millions of Americans.

His overdue capitulation in signing the bill that provides pandemic relief and keeps the government open was a vivid illustration of how weak Trump has become. And this episode might contain a silver lining: It might preview how Trump could fade into irrelevance in the coming few years, becoming not the continuing agent of chaos many fear, but instead a pathetic figure who is easier to ignore than we thought.

Trumpís delay in signing the bill will mean one fewer week of enhanced unemployment benefits for millions of struggling Americans; his demand that everyone receive checks of $2,000 instead of $600 will be ignored by Senate Republicans unwilling to do too much to stimulate the economy over which Joe Biden will preside. So after signing the bill, Trump issued a typically dishonest, self-aggrandizing and self-pitying statement, which before whining about voter fraud included this:

Fortunately, as a result of my work with Congress in passing the CARES Act earlier this year, we avoided another Great Depression. Under my leadership, Project Warp Speed has been a tremendous success, my Administration and I developed a vaccine many years ahead of wildest expectations, and we are distributing these vaccines, and others soon coming, to millions of people.

Much of this is false, but more than anything else itís just pitiful. Trump has always demanded credit for imagined successes or the accomplishments of others, but seldom has it sounded so feeble.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/12/28/trump-is-growing-smaller-before-our-eyes/

2 replies, 1731 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Trump is growing smaller before our eyes (Original post)
Zorro Dec 2020 OP
Stuart G Dec 2020 #1
LuckyLib Dec 2020 #2

Response to Zorro (Original post)

Tue Dec 29, 2020, 12:55 AM

1. Well....I never thought I'd say this..but, Trump is far worse than Nixon..WORSE THAN TRICKY DICK!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Stuart G (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 29, 2020, 03:36 AM

2. Tricky Dick was a Boy Scout compared to the Dumpster.

The crimes of this pResident and his maladministration are so wide and so deep that TD's feeble games seem pitiful in comparison.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread