HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » How Stephen Colbert's def...

Tue Dec 29, 2020, 08:09 AM

How Stephen Colbert's defiant honesty helped me navigate the madness of 2020

By JUSTIN PELOFSKY, SALON,
DECEMBER 28, 2020 10:00PM (UTC)

COVID restrictions have been enforced, relaxed, then reinforced, Trump threatened a coup in a number of new, upsetting ways, and Joe Biden had to keep winning the election not just once, but again and again. . . Add on top of this my endless and perhaps more trivial battle to extricate myself from my phone and laptop and you may begin to wonder: Haven't we been here before? Is there even a lesson to any of this madness?

Relentlessly spinning in this revolving year of depressing callbacks and recurring bits, I attempted to steady myself by finding someone anyone who seemed to have a clue as to what was going on. But rather than cling to a more natural choice, like, say, a criminal narcissist, strongman politician, or "real lawyer," I turned to the uncertain guidance of a man who seemed to have dialed in on the depressing, comedic rhythms of the year in his own way: Stephen Colbert.

At the beginning of the COVID days in March or April or so, Colbert changed the name of his show from "The Late Show" to "A Late Show," appearing from his basement noticeably just as disheveled and confused as many of us were at the time. I was a fresh viewer of the show then, but the name change was noticeable and instantly grabbed my attention. There was a simple comic honesty in the humble move that I think is hard to overestimate, especially when much of the entertainment media at that time was so curated, projecting a tone deaf, and at times nauseating sense of self-importance.

Instead of taking this route, Stephen let us into the operation of the show through the many asides to his wife and, eventually when he switched locations to an office above the Ed Sullivan Theater, small production crew about the unexpected length of a certain intro, a slip-up in his speaking, his untamed hair (which, really isn't that long by most standards other than his own), or the funniness/unfunniness of a bit. And while he did occasionally comment on his disappointment about not having an audience, he didn't seem anxious to get back in front of a camera like many of his peers. Rather, he seemed careful to balance the dramatic and comedic in what has been an unquestionably devastating year.

But he seems to have managed it extremely well in the end, empathizing with and mirroring the swinging emotions of an invisible audience.

https://www.salon.com/2020/12/28/stephen-colbert-a-late-show-2020/

Colbert truly has been a Gibraltar of Sanity and laughter in these past four years of Hell. When Trump is finally gone, Colbert should be recognized as an indispensable Pillar of the Resistance. I am 100% serious in saying this!

5 replies, 1102 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply How Stephen Colbert's defiant honesty helped me navigate the madness of 2020 (Original post)
Skeptical Thomas Dec 2020 OP
Sedona Dec 2020 #1
The Wizard Dec 2020 #2
thucythucy Dec 2020 #3
Bradshaw3 Dec 2020 #4
world wide wally Dec 2020 #5

Response to Skeptical Thomas (Original post)

Tue Dec 29, 2020, 09:08 AM

1. Colbert is a national treasure

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 29, 2020, 09:31 AM

2. Trump has little to say

about Colbert for a good reason. He can't deal with the avalanche of ridicule Colbert would have unleashed at Trump's expense.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 29, 2020, 10:08 AM

3. I loved his take down of Bush II at the White House correspondents dinner.

Since then he's only gotten better.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 29, 2020, 11:17 AM

4. It's ridiculous he hasn't won an Emmy

Oliver is good but Colbert does it night in and night out for an hour, often changing his monologue at the last minute to fit the news of the day. And, in addition to his soul-nourishing takedowns of dump and his enablers, Colbert is FUNNY. I get tired of the pics and videos he uses so often of dump but it's worth it when he comes up with a great funny line or just a look. There were few people who made me laugh in the last four years but he was at the top of the list.

As others have said, he is a national treasure and deserves recognition for helping us get through this mess. Thanks for posting.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 29, 2020, 03:13 PM

5. I watch him every night.

He always makes me laugh.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread