HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Capitol Rioters Planned f...

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 10:35 AM

Capitol Rioters Planned for Weeks in Plain Sight. The Police Weren't Ready.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/capitol-rioters-planned-for-weeks-in-plain-sight-the-police-werent-ready/

Capitol Rioters Planned for Weeks in Plain Sight. The Police Weren’t Ready.
January 7, 2021
by Logan Jaffe, Lydia DePillis, Isaac Arnsdorf, David McSwane

The invasion of the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday was stoked in plain sight. For weeks, the far-right supporters of President Donald Trump railed on social media that the election had been stolen. They openly discussed the idea of violent protest on the day Congress met to certify the result.

“We came up with the idea to occupy just outside the CAPITOL on Jan 6th,” leaders of the Stop the Steal movement wrote on Dec. 23. They called their Wednesday demonstration the Wild Protest , a name taken from a tweet by Trump that encouraged his supporters to take their grievances to the streets of Washington. “Will be wild,” the president tweeted.

Ali Alexander, the founder of the movement, encouraged people to bring tents and sleeping bags and avoid wearing masks for the event. “If D.C. escalates… so do we,” Alexander wrote on Parler last week — one of scores of social media posts welcoming violence that were reviewed by ProPublica in the weeks leading up to Wednesday’s attack on the capitol.

Thousands of people heeded that call.

20 replies, 2280 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply Capitol Rioters Planned for Weeks in Plain Sight. The Police Weren't Ready. (Original post)
dalton99a Jan 2021 OP
rzemanfl Jan 2021 #1
IsItJustMe Jan 2021 #19
forgotmylogin Jan 2021 #2
Merlot Jan 2021 #3
notinkansas Jan 2021 #15
IsItJustMe Jan 2021 #20
Paladin Jan 2021 #4
LiberalArkie Jan 2021 #10
marmar Jan 2021 #11
mwooldri Jan 2021 #5
IronLionZion Jan 2021 #8
Sloumeau Jan 2021 #16
mwooldri Jan 2021 #17
Autumn Jan 2021 #6
dalton99a Jan 2021 #7
LiberalArkie Jan 2021 #9
Bernardo de La Paz Jan 2021 #14
bucolic_frolic Jan 2021 #12
Bernardo de La Paz Jan 2021 #13
The Mouth Jan 2021 #18

Response to dalton99a (Original post)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 10:48 AM

1. That's because they were helping. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rzemanfl (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 9, 2021, 11:59 PM

19. There is one video of a Capitol police officer waving people in shouting at them to go, go, go.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 10:48 AM

2. A "protest" would have just been gathering near the Capitol.

They could have just "occupied" the outside steps to show their support of their cause and yelled for the cameras. Hawley et.al would have done the thing they were going to do and they'd have national coverage that would have continued through the inauguration. That's a legitimate protest.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 10:52 AM

3. Headline should be "...Why Weren't the Police Ready?"

Reply to this post

Response to Merlot (Reply #3)

Sat Jan 9, 2021, 02:27 AM

15. I believe the police were overwhelmed.

There was probably nothing they could do short of firing automatic weapons - which they certainly did not have. But as I was watching the coverage, I was certain that they had been ordered to stand down based on what I was seeing. While white privilege certainly exists, this seemed to me to be more than that. The fact that the governor of Maryland couldn't get the administration to give him the authority to send his National Guard to support the police - in my mind - reinforces that thought. Thankfully someone from the Army (can't remember his name) gave the permission even though he was not really authorized to do so. How can anybody regard the administration as anything but complicit?

Reply to this post

Response to Merlot (Reply #3)

Sun Jan 10, 2021, 12:00 AM

20. or how about "Why were a number of Capitol police officers helping the rioters.".

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 10:55 AM

4. Unforgivable (non)performance by D.C. law enforcement.

The very definition of "aiding and abetting," as well as just old-fashioned negligence, all caught on camera. Good footage to show in the future, to anybody still stupid enough not to believe in white privilege in what's left of this country.

Reply to this post

Response to Paladin (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 12:26 PM

10. The kids and other that protest in DC knew better than to be anywhere near the areas with

the quantity of Southern white trash coming into town. Even their buses were solid white.

Reply to this post

Response to Paladin (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 12:28 PM

11. not D.C., but Capitol Police, federal.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 11:13 AM

5. Heck, I believe people on DU commented on this.

Even warning us not to go to DC to counter protest. Can't remember who/when/what exactly but I distinctly remember seeing it here.

DU - apparently now has better intel than the FBI...

Reply to this post

Response to mwooldri (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 11:45 AM

8. 2 more weeks until it's Merrick Garland's FBI

It's all posted online on social media for all to see.

the Trump admin fired a lot of Pentagon and law enforcement leadership last month to install their own loyalists. Bill Barr even resigned.

So with Trump controlling the federal response and DC's MPD not allowed to assist without permission, the Capitol was left vulnerable. Also I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some Capitol police and GOP congresspeople were complicit in helping or at least allowing it.

Reply to this post

Response to mwooldri (Reply #5)

Sat Jan 9, 2021, 03:17 PM

16. Here is a posting on DU recommending that the Left doesn't try to counter Protest the MAGA Morons:

Reply to this post

Response to Sloumeau (Reply #16)

Sat Jan 9, 2021, 03:34 PM

17. Thank you.

I believe that was the thread I read. Turns out that guy was right

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 11:23 AM

6. They were ready as they were going to ever be. Many of them were far-right supporters of Trump.

Reply to this post

Response to Autumn (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 11:26 AM

7. Including the cop who died

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 12:22 PM

9. They never expected "their kind of people" would be violent. It is those "NI****S" that cause

problems. They can identify everyone who went inside through cell phone records, through internet posts etc. Wasn't that why the patriot act created?

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalArkie (Reply #9)

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 04:24 PM

14. Nah, Plan A was to have massive antifa/"BLM" fights. Plan B was to frighten lawmakers. Plan C

Plan C was the Insurrection Act if lawmakers were not frightened enough to "do the right thing".

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 01:55 PM

12. The law and order MAGAts want total power for themselves, no government and anarchy

So don't believe a word they say. They're sowing confusion to paralyze civilization so they can plunder us all. Bannon-esque.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 8, 2021, 04:22 PM

13. Unprepared on purpose

Toady acting Secretary of Defense blocked calling the National Guard in. It's why Esper was fired Nov 9 after he had demonstrated that he wouldn't go along by defying tRump in June over calling out military onto US city streets.

Trump loyalist Capitol Police Chief Sund refused offers of help from other forces (though he was not appointed by tRump).

They fortified the White House fence but left the Capitol undefended. On purpose. Revealing their priorities to create a massive disturbance and invoke the Insurrection Act to block the Electoral Vote count.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 9, 2021, 04:44 PM

18. The first amendment gives the right to *PEACEFULLY* assemble

There is no right to riot or otherwise disrupt anything.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread