HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Rockefellers have a messa...

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 12:55 AM

Rockefellers have a message for Joe Manchin

Rockefellers have a message for Joe Manchin
Opinion by John D. Rockefeller V, Justin Rockefeller and Valerie Rockefeller
Editors Note: John D. Rockefeller V, Justin Rockefeller and Valerie Rockefeller are the adult children of former West Virginia Governor and Senator Jay Rockefeller. They are fifth generation members of the Rockefeller family. The views expressed in this commentary belong to the authors
Updated 9:21 PM ET, Thu September 30, 2021
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/26/opinions/manchin-reconciliation-climate-change-rockefeller/index.html

"We were raised in coal country, about two hours south of Sen. Joe Manchin's hometown, with a commitment to public service. Like Sen. Manchin, our father, five-term Sen. Jay Rockefeller, served as secretary of state and governor before being elected to the US Senate. And like Sen. Manchin, our father, who is now retired, has deep respect for the state's legacy of hard work and grit.

Manchin has served our state well. He is a caring and determined leader who we've been honored to know as our father's colleague and friend. Unfortunately, when it comes to our state's future (whether it's the jobs West Virginians will hold or the energy they'll consume), Manchin is sticking with a problematic past by opposing the Senate's $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill. Only by supporting that bill can Manchin lead West Virginia boldly into the clean-energy future that will help the people he has been elected to serve.

Manchin could be the deciding vote on the reconciliation bill that would help fund infrastructure projects and a wide array of social programs. The senator expressed his concerns about the bill's price tag in a Wall Street Journal op-ed, yet failed to acknowledge that delaying the reconciliation bill and jeopardizing the infrastructure bill is a dangerous move that could end up costing the entire country, as well as the people of West Virginia.

...snip....

Likewise, our family, known to many for its legacy of oil wealth, has acknowledged and acted upon the undeniable science that documents the destructive impact fossil fuels have on our climate. We consider it our moral imperative to divest from fossil fuels and invest sustainably. Many Rockefeller-affiliated nonprofits are also putting their endowments, which originated from oil wealth, towards clean and inclusive economic development. West Virginians should share in the prosperity and promise that the renewable energy boom will bring. The federal support the reconciliation and infrastructure bills offer will be critical to making it possible."
...more at the link above...
----
They then ask Joe Manchin to support the reconciliation bill for the good of WV and the USA.

29 replies, 6354 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 29 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rockefellers have a message for Joe Manchin (Original post)
andym Oct 1 OP
OnDoutside Oct 1 #1
PortTack Oct 1 #2
CentralMass Oct 1 #3
Mr. Evil Oct 1 #4
BigmanPigman Oct 1 #5
appalachiablue Oct 1 #6
twodogsbarking Oct 1 #7
BeckyDem Oct 1 #8
BumRushDaShow Oct 1 #9
soldierant Oct 2 #23
BumRushDaShow Oct 3 #24
soldierant Oct 3 #29
Tommymac Oct 1 #10
dickthegrouch Oct 1 #11
ancianita Oct 1 #12
andym Oct 1 #13
Justice matters. Oct 1 #14
ancianita Oct 1 #16
JI7 Oct 3 #25
ancianita Oct 3 #26
JI7 Oct 3 #27
ancianita Oct 3 #28
calimary Oct 1 #15
ancianita Oct 1 #17
Blue Owl Oct 1 #18
Beartracks Oct 1 #19
UCmeNdc Oct 1 #20
oasis Oct 2 #21
BeckyDem Oct 2 #22

Response to andym (Original post)

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 01:19 AM

1. Good for them.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 01:22 AM

2. I can only imagine someone will make sure he sees this. He wants to rub shoulders with the rich

And powerful....Maybe this will budge him off his perch

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 01:42 AM

3. I bet a nice wad of cash would bring Joe on board.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 01:55 AM

4. I believe they can make him come to his senses.

But, what will this make of Kyrsten Sinema? She'll be left all alone on the Democratic side. My guess is she'll panic, say something 'cutesy' or otherwise undignified and try to go it alone while waiting for her 'Rockerfeller family' to help her come around. Fucking disgusting!

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 02:28 AM

5. Bravo!

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 07:12 AM

6. Excellent, well done!

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 07:20 AM

7. I remember when the Fords and Rockefellers ran the country.

Gerald and Nelson.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 08:59 AM

8. Hope springs eternal.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 09:38 AM

9. I have been thinking about Jay and his take for the past couple years

given how he just got up and put down roots there and raised his kids there, and was beloved. And between him and Byrd, they "brought the bacon home" to that state and kept the state in the (D) category. And the potential is still there given Capito's occasional equivocating vs always doing a complete lock-step with the GOP, so the loon propaganda seems to have been what impacted them to refuse to transition.

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #9)

Sat Oct 2, 2021, 08:52 PM

23. He was loved. And so was his wife, thr former Sharon Percy.

I knew her a little bit - as freshmen incollege we were in the same wing of the same dormitory. Tha was in the day when there were sane anf honorable Republicans left, and I felt her dad was one and respected him - and her.

And I respected her even more when, as Mrs Jay, she began working personally with women to set up cottage industries in quilting - and publicly wore the products to promote them. But she did a lot of other good work too.

I'm not surprised they raised fine children. (I'm also not surprised that her daughter is named Valerie. I will never forget hearing and reading abiut her twin being mysteriously murdered.)

Reply to this post

Response to soldierant (Reply #23)

Sun Oct 3, 2021, 03:28 AM

24. Thank you for sharing that!

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #24)

Sun Oct 3, 2021, 01:49 PM

29. YVW

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 01:08 PM

10. 1%'ers with a conscience. How quaint

Tell it to the Koch's. And the Walton's. And the Zuckerburg's. And and and...

That is all.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 02:33 PM

11. That's a big donor to piss off 😃 /nt

Reply to this post

Response to dickthegrouch (Reply #11)

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 02:41 PM

12. Are they actually Manchin donors? The Rockefellers were Republican.

But yeah, they could easily primary him with another Democrat, just not anytime soon.

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #12)

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 03:17 PM

13. Jay Rockefeller and his family are Democrats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Rockefeller

"Rockefeller is the great-grandson of oil tycoon John D. Rockefeller, who died less than a month before Jay's birth. He was the only serving politician of the Rockefeller family during his tenure in the United States Senate, and the only one to have held office as a Democrat, in what has been a traditionally Republican family (though he too was originally a Republican until he decided to run for office in the then-heavily Democratic state)."

Public servant as well:

"After college, Rockefeller worked for the Peace Corps in Washington, D.C., under President John F. Kennedy, where he developed a friendship with Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy and worked as an assistant to Peace Corps Director Sargent Shriver. He served as the Operations Director for the Corps' largest overseas program, in the Philippines. He worked for a brief time in the United States Department of Far Eastern Affairs.[5] He continued his public service in 1964–1965 in the Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA), under President Lyndon B. Johnson, during which time he moved to Emmons, West Virginia."

Also supported progressive legislation like:

"In 1993, Rockefeller became the principal Senate supporter, with Ted Kennedy, behind Bill and Hillary Clinton's sweeping health care reform package, liaising closely with the First Lady, opening up his mansion next to Rock Creek Park for its first strategy meeting. The reform was subsequently defeated by an alliance between the Business Roundtable and a small-business coalition."

and
"In 1997, Rockefeller co-authored the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) – a program aimed at giving low-income children health insurance coverage. Annually, CHIP has been successfully covering about 6 million children, who otherwise would have been uninsured. On September 30, 2007, the program expired, requiring Congress to reauthorize the legislation. On August 2, 2007, the vote for reauthorization passed legislation by a strong, bipartisan vote (68-31)."

Reply to this post

Response to andym (Reply #13)

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 03:25 PM

14. Can they donate big money to Manchin and tell him to refund his fossil-fuel donors.

Can Jay Rockefeller even promise to out-donate them to him?

If it's what it takes...

Reply to this post

Response to andym (Reply #13)

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 04:03 PM

16. Fine. But their history is as a Republican fam, & I assume you've heard of Rockefeller Republicans.

As their own brand of liberals, they've played horse race politics as "liberal" Republicans, and they've had the benefit of common sense Republicans in the past.

It's still true that WV voted for a Republican for governor before and after Jay was governor, his wife's the sister of a Republican and his brother was a Republican governor. Even as Manchin's been in office as a Dem for decades, WV has still voted red in every presidential election since 2000.

I'm glad he's a Democrat and there's a Democratic presence in WV, though it's not clear that he's a Big Donor to Manchin.

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #16)

Sun Oct 3, 2021, 05:10 AM

25. No, the history of these Rockefellers is as Democrats. And the Republicans were liberal Republicans

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #25)

Sun Oct 3, 2021, 07:41 AM

26. Prove it. Their only link to being near Democratic was when they needed buy-in for their

Big Money institutions and pro-finance think tanks. Their politics was market growth, and so of course they gave to whichever party happened to promote their market values in politics.

Nelson D founded the University of Chicago, funded its programs, one of which, the Dept of Economics, touted itself as THE most conservative economics department on the planet, pushing Mont Pelerin neoliberal austerity economics for decades, and then being promoted & congratulated by Euro forebears with Nobel Prizes for it. If it weren't for that pesky Pinochet/Chilean thing, they might have gotten away with pissing on the rest of South America and calling it rain.

But please tell us how the Rockefellers were Democratic Party members. I can't find a link.

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #26)

Sun Oct 3, 2021, 08:03 AM

27. Jay Rockefeller was a fucking Democratic Senator from West Virginia which you didn't even know

Reply to this post

Response to JI7 (Reply #27)

Sun Oct 3, 2021, 09:07 AM

28. Whoah calm down. I know he's a Democratic Senator from West Virginia.

Everyone knows that. My overall point has been about the Rockefeller taint he still has on him as why I'm not going to credit one too-late Democratic Rockefeller, member of one of the richest families on the planet, for publicly signaling common sense that the whole nation's tried to tell this party holdout. Jay Rockefeller is the political exception among the Rockefellers, not the rule, and imo he won't redeem the Rockefeller clan and Rockefellers won't get credit from me for changing the Manchin vote.

I'll give that credit to Biden, the national polls and the rest of the Democratic caucus.

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #12)

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 03:54 PM

15. But they were pretty much reasonable Republicans. Not the extremist nut jobs

we see in today’s GOP.

I remember actually liking Nelson Rockefeller.

Reply to this post

Response to calimary (Reply #15)

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 04:17 PM

17. I hear you. I remember them, too. I just don't feel like crediting them for being liberal.

These historical Republicans who've shown a moral compass, as many of us discussed in 2020, are welcome but have to show (that trust but verify stuff) that they are Democrats over a few election cycles for me to trust them.

And if the Rockefellers change Manchin's mind, I'll be happy to credit them.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 05:37 PM

18. K&R

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 08:22 PM

19. +1000

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 1, 2021, 10:51 PM

20. K&R

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 2, 2021, 12:10 AM

21. Wake up and smell the coffee Joe.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 2, 2021, 11:12 AM

22. I hope he changes in time:

An overlooked piece of Manchin’s ransom note that he belatedly released yesterday stated that negotiations should not commence on the reconciliation process until October 1. That was roughly the same deadline House members made for voting on the Senate-passed infrastructure bill. That was quiet evidence for the corporate Dems’ desire to de-link the two bills, the preferred strategy of their finance and pharma industry backers, who abhorred the tax increases and drug price reforms in the second bill and saw de-linking as a way to kill it.
https://prospect.org/infrastructure/building-back-america/progressive-caucus-wields-power/

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread