HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Quitting the NFL, For Joh...

Mon Nov 18, 2013, 07:51 PM

Quitting the NFL, For John Moffitte the Money Wasnt Worth It: New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/19/sports/football/quitting-the-nfl-for-john-moffitt-the-money-wasnt-worth-it.html?hp&_r=0

"John Moffitt said he gave up the rest of his $625,000 salary this year and could have made $750,000 in 2014. "

By KEN BELSON

SEATTLE John Moffitt chugged mugs of black coffee and talked almost giddily about how, the week before, he called John Elway, the head of football operations for the Denver Broncos, to tell him he was quitting the National Football League, leaving behind the money and the fame, but also the constant pain and the danger.

In parts of three seasons as a guard with the Seattle Seahawks and the Broncos, Moffitt, 27, blew out his knee, had elbow surgery and hurt his shoulders. Sleep apnea left him exhausted. Floaters cross his vision from all the hits to the head he absorbed in his nearly 20 years of playing football.

I dont want to risk health for money, said Moffitt, who walked away from about $1 million in salary, various benefits for retirees who play at least three seasons and quite possibly a trip to the Super Bowl with the 9-1 Broncos. Im happy, and I dont need the N.F.L.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Short easy read, and very interesting. Someone who gives up the money, and fame realizing there is something else. I wonder how many understand that what he is doing is probably the most important thing he may ever do.

6 replies, 1535 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Quitting the NFL, For John Moffitte the Money Wasnt Worth It: New York Times (Original post)
Stuart G Nov 2013 OP
daleanime Nov 2013 #1
rurallib Nov 2013 #2
Stuart G Nov 2013 #3
Scuba Nov 2013 #4
benld74 Nov 2013 #5
Doctor_J Nov 2013 #6

Response to Stuart G (Original post)

Mon Nov 18, 2013, 07:59 PM

1. Some get this guy on the air...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 18, 2013, 08:00 PM

2. good for him. I hope he has saved some money

and I hope others will follow his lead.

Reply to this post

Response to rurallib (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 18, 2013, 08:04 PM

3. I agree with you. I hope he saved some money.

Let's say in a three seasons, he earned a million and quarter. Just a guess. So, he probably could have saved 40 percent...ok? That would be about $500,000 more or less. Not bad to start off with. Who knows

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 18, 2013, 08:27 PM

4. UW-Madison was good for John.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 18, 2013, 08:56 PM

5. Good for him, I surely wish he doesn't have any long term health

issues to contend with from the time he was playing.

Reply to this post

Response to benld74 (Reply #5)

Tue Nov 19, 2013, 10:46 AM

6. Yeah, hopefully he got out in time

I love the NFL but watching is getting harder as the collisions get more violent every year.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread